Confident Faith

bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟201,456.00
Faith
Christian
Confident Faith

Is confidence of your eternal destiny characteristic of your faith, or do you put your faith in the uncertainty of your performance to qualify you to go to heaven?

Note the confidence with which Paul speaks of the eternal destiny of the believers

2Cor 4:13-5:8
since we have the same spirit of faith, according to what is written, "I believed and therefore I spoke," we also believe and therefore speak, knowing that He who raised up the Lord Jesus will also raise us up with Jesus, and will present us with you. For all things are for your sakes, that grace, having spread through the many, may cause thanksgiving to abound to the glory of God. Therefore we do not lose heart. Even though our outward man is perishing, yet the inward man is being renewed day by day. For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, is working for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory, while we do not look at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen. For the things which are seen are temporary, but the things which are not seen are eternal. For we know that if our earthly house, this tent, is destroyed, we have a building from God, a house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens. For in this we groan, earnestly desiring to be clothed with our habitation which is from heaven, if indeed, having been clothed, we shall not be found naked. For we who are in this tent groan, being burdened, not because we want to be unclothed, but further clothed, that mortality may be swallowed up by life. Now He who has prepared us for this very thing is God, who also has given us the Spirit as a guarantee. So we are always confident, knowing that while we are at home in the body we are absent from the Lord. For we walk by faith, not by sight. We are confident, yes, well pleased rather to be absent from the body and to be present with the Lord.

Eph 1:11-14
In Him also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestined according to the purpose of Him who works all things according to the counsel of His will, that we who first trusted in Christ should be to the praise of His glory. In Him you also trusted, after you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation; in whom also, having believed, you were sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise, who is the guarantee of our inheritance

Php 1:22-24
If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose? I do not know! I am torn between the two: I desire to depart and be with Christ, which is better by far; but it is more necessary for you that I remain in the body.

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟323,509.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Confident Faith

Is confidence of your eternal destiny characteristic of your faith, or do you put your faith in the uncertainty of your performance to qualify you to go to heaven?

Note the confidence with which Paul speaks of the eternal destiny of the believers

2Cor 4:13-5:8
since we have the same spirit of faith, according to what is written, "I believed and therefore I spoke," we also believe and therefore speak, knowing that He who raised up the Lord Jesus will also raise us up with Jesus, and will present us with you. For all things are for your sakes, that grace, having spread through the many, may cause thanksgiving to abound to the glory of God. Therefore we do not lose heart. Even though our outward man is perishing, yet the inward man is being renewed day by day. For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, is working for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory, while we do not look at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen. For the things which are seen are temporary, but the things which are not seen are eternal. For we know that if our earthly house, this tent, is destroyed, we have a building from God, a house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens. For in this we groan, earnestly desiring to be clothed with our habitation which is from heaven, if indeed, having been clothed, we shall not be found naked. For we who are in this tent groan, being burdened, not because we want to be unclothed, but further clothed, that mortality may be swallowed up by life. Now He who has prepared us for this very thing is God, who also has given us the Spirit as a guarantee. So we are always confident, knowing that while we are at home in the body we are absent from the Lord. For we walk by faith, not by sight. We are confident, yes, well pleased rather to be absent from the body and to be present with the Lord.

Eph 1:11-14
In Him also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestined according to the purpose of Him who works all things according to the counsel of His will, that we who first trusted in Christ should be to the praise of His glory. In Him you also trusted, after you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation; in whom also, having believed, you were sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise, who is the guarantee of our inheritance

Php 1:22-24
If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose? I do not know! I am torn between the two: I desire to depart and be with Christ, which is better by far; but it is more necessary for you that I remain in the body.
Historically theologians considered confidence/trust in God (not in ourselves or in our faith, itself) to be a characteristic of the virtue of hope, whereas the virtue of faith simply meant belief in the those things taught about God: His existence, goodness, specific promises, etc. The third, and by far the most important virtue, is love.

Reactions: Gabriel Anton
Upvote 0

Razare

God gave me a throne
Nov 20, 2014
✟10,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
My faith is trusting God.

Abram believed [trusted] the LORD, and he credited it to him as righteousness. - Genesis 15:6

I became a Christian in a very simple way. I had decided I was going to put Jesus as the pinnacle in my heart, and become like him. Then that night, in a vision, a bright star soared through the sky, and it came down to me when I opened my arms to him.

It hovered above me and it was God and He spoke: "You are my child."

I believed him when he spoke. I did not understand how I could be God's child because I did not deserve it. But I believed what God said even though in my thinking it seemed impossible.

Then later on, I made Jesus my Lord, and I learned why I was God's child.

We try to make trusting God into a multi-point doctrine because of fear usually. At least I have done this because of fear. I figured, the more doctrines I give my mind to latch on to, the more I will believe! But it was just the opposite. Those simple words spoken in truth were greater.

Reactions: ToBeLoved
Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
My faith is trusting God.

Abram believed [trusted] the LORD, and he credited it to him as righteousness. - Genesis 15:6

I became a Christian in a very simple way. I had decided I was going to put Jesus as the pinnacle in my heart, and become like him. Then that night, in a vision, a bright star soared through the sky, and it came down to me when I opened my arms to him.

It hovered above me and it was God and He spoke: "You are my child."

I believed him when he spoke. I did not understand how I could be God's child because I did not deserve it. But I believed what God said even though in my thinking it seemed impossible.

Then later on, I made Jesus my Lord, and I learned why I was God's child.

We try to make trusting God into a multi-point doctrine because of fear usually. At least I have done this because of fear. I figured, the more doctrines I give my mind to latch on to, the more I will believe! But it was just the opposite. Those simple words spoken in truth were greater.

Amen!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Razare
Upvote 0