Confederate flag hung from black soldiers memorial.

stamperben

It's an old family tradition
Oct 16, 2011
✟53,694.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Sure. Except the mainstream media is not as outraged over the (real) desecration of Southern monuments as they were over the (fake) desecration of a Northern monument.
Funny, I saw all over the news about the spray painting of "black lives matter" when that happened along with stories about the brave woman who climbed the flag pole. I'm sorry you missed those stories.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This is a racist act?

LOL

The only thing racist in this story is the history behind the flag placed on the gravestone.

You have a problem with assuming things.
I do have a problem with people assuming things. As well as those that stereotype Southerners.

Reactions: katherine2001
Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Why yes, and they fought under it to preserve the racist institution of slavery.
And Lincoln was so fervent in his opposition to slavery that he only waited two years before issuing the Emancipation Proclamation. His preference was to export blacks to Africa to start their own country.

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

We shall see the King when he comes!
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Funny, I saw all over the news about the spray painting of "black lives matter" when that happened along with stories about the brave woman who climbed the flag pole. I'm sorry you missed those stories.
I saw the one about the criminal woman. I haven't seen anything about the more general desecration except from right wing news sources (that friends shared on FB, I don't subscribe to them).

Upvote 0

stamperben

It's an old family tradition
Oct 16, 2011
✟53,694.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
And Lincoln was so fervent in his opposition to slavery that he only waited two years before issuing the Emancipation Proclamation. His preference was to export blacks to Africa to start their own country.
Yes and as I said here or in the Sumter thread you'll get no argument from me that this is a racist county, originating that way and still that way.

Upvote 0

Smidlee

Veteran
May 21, 2004
NC, USA
✟21,162.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Why yes, and they fought under it to preserve the racist institution of slavery.
Slavery is not racism. Slavery is simply cheap labor. Some Chinese workers are close of being slaves but it's not because anyone has something against Chinese people, it's all about cheap labor.
Also people today believe in the good part of slavery .. that is someone else have to keep them up while hating the down side ... they are told what to do.

Upvote 0
Aug 29, 2005
✟183,570.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Slavery is not racism. Slavery is simply cheap labor. Some Chinese workers are close of being slaves but it's not because anyone has something against Chinese people, it's all about cheap labor.
Also people today believe in the good part of slavery .. that is someone else have to keep them up while hating the down side ... they are told what to do.

In America, slavery and racism went hand in hand.

In America, slavery was racist.

Alexander Stephens said:
Our new Government is founded upon exactly the opposite ideas; its foundations are laid, its cornerstone rests, upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery, subordination to the superior race, is his natural and normal condition.

Upvote 0

Smidlee

Veteran
May 21, 2004
NC, USA
✟21,162.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
In America, slavery and racism went hand in hand.

In America, slavery was racist.
From what I read in history there are many examples of people who once had slaves and no sign of racism. Ben Franklin had slaves but he noted on how the Constitution was written he thought slaves should be freed. He didn't force the issue but he did freed his slaves.
This is a modern idea that slavery automatically means racism just like the Confederate flag . Again we except the good side of slavery but hate the bad side of being told what to do.

Charles Darwin theory of evolution is clearly linked with racism in the past yet no one is trying to throw out evolution from the public schools.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Aug 29, 2005
✟183,570.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
From what I read in history there are many examples of people who once had slave and no sign of racism. Ben Franklin had slaves but he noted on how the Constitution was written he thought slaves should be freed. He didn't force the issue but he did freed his slaves.
This is a modern idea that slavery automatically means racism. Again we except the good side of slavery but hate the bad side of being told what to do.
I never said that slavery automatically means racism, but is true in the case of American slavery of Africans. It is true by the words they spoke about black people. They specifically stated that the black race is inferior....which is the meaning of racism then, and today.

The Confederacy justified the institution of slavery using racism against black Africans. To say that this man was good to his slaves or that family didn't harm theirs does not diminish the underlying racism bound to slavery. I have no doubt that many people did not hurt their slaves, although one can be kind and still be racist. I understand that most did not have slaves, although I have a feeling they would have if they could've afforded some.

What is a good side of slavery?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Smidlee

Veteran
May 21, 2004
NC, USA
✟21,162.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I never said that slavery automatically means racism, but is true in the case of American slavery of Africans. It is true by the words they spoke about black people. They specifically stated that the black race is inferior....which is the meaning of racism then, and today.
No doubt there were some that was racism as even many evolutionist at that time believe Africans were inferior even ones who didn't have slaves.
The Confederacy justified the institution of slavery using racism against black Africans. To say that this man was good to his slaves or that family didn't harm theirs does not diminish the underlying racism bound to slavery. I have no doubt that many people did not hurt their slaves, although one can be kind and still be racist. I understand that most did not have slaves, although I have a feeling they would have if they could've afforded some.
Both North and South had slaves and you thing every one of them was racist? Slavery has always been about cheap labor.

What is a good side of slavery?
Someone else keeps you up like all our "freebies" programs.

Upvote 0
Aug 29, 2005
✟183,570.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
No doubt there were some that was racism as even many evolutionist at that time believe Africans were inferior even ones who didn't have slaves.
Both North and South had slaves and you thing every one of them was racist? Slavery has always been about cheap labor.
Obviously you did not read what I wrote. Oh well. The racism applied to all who believed blacks were inferior, and those who held slaves were bound the racist institution of slavery. Perhaps America as a whole were all racists?

Someone else keeps you up like all our "freebies" programs.
An answer I expected. Nothing to do with slavery, but it gets tossed out anyways....

Upvote 0

katherine2001

Veteran
Jun 24, 2003
Billings, MT
Visit site
✟11,346.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I do have a problem with people assuming things. As well as those that stereotype Southerners.
I agree. I lived in the South for many years, including the Charleston area. I found much worse racism when I lived in Ohio in the Dayton area. I heard the "n" word there much more often than I heard it when I lived in the South, not to mention the person brought in to the Dayton schools to integrate the school system was murdered. One of my dad's coworker and his wife took in kids of all races (they were from Mississippi), and his wife was spit on for carrying a black baby (they were taking care of the baby while the father came to terms with his mother having overdosed on pills while suffering from post-partum depression until he felt he could take care of the baby). I never saw things like this happen when I lived in South Carolina. Both of my parents were Southerners and were very supportive of the Civil Rights movement (my father was born and raised in South Carolina).

Upvote 0

Smidlee

Veteran
May 21, 2004
NC, USA
✟21,162.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
An answer I expected. Nothing to do with slavery, but it gets tossed out anyways....
Really? So you think is ok for someone to get the benefit of slavery but doesn't have to do anything for it? The part of slavery that goes against our nature is being told what to do.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Glass*Soul

Senior Veteran
May 14, 2005
✟31,902.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Confederate memorials have been being desecrated all over the South for the past week. Where is the outrage there? And not just hanging a flag that can be taken down, but spraypainted, which is much more costly to repair.

Can you link us to some examples?

Upvote 0