Dec 5, 2005
✟19,912.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm sure I'm not the only one whose heard this concept tossed around when discussing loving your neighbor. I just don't get what condoning sin looks like. Any ideas?

Am I condoning sin if I am friends with an adulterer and don't say anything? What if I am friends with them don't say anything to them directly but am praying for the Holy Spirit to show them their error?

(I only used adultery because it seems like a non disputable sin. Although I'm sure someone could use some verse to defend the extra marital activities if they wanted, but that isn't really what my post is about. Wow, I'm highly caffeinated at the moment.)

samiam

Jun 25, 2003
San Diego, CA
Visit site
✟12,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm sure I'm not the only one whose heard this concept tossed around when discussing loving your neighbor. I just don't get what condoning sin looks like. Any ideas?

Am I condoning sin if I am friends with an adulterer and don't say anything? What if I am friends with them don't say anything to them directly but am praying for the Holy Spirit to show them their error?

(I only used adultery because it seems like a non disputable sin. Although I'm sure someone could use some verse to defend the extra marital activities if they wanted, but that isn't really what my post is about. Wow, I'm highly caffeinated at the moment.)
You know, I think pointing out someone else's sin is one of the hardest things to do.

A lot of people who are living in Sin are in a big lie that their sin is somehow OK. Or as Jesus said, evil hates the light (John 3:19-21).

Sin is a very difficult thing to point out in another person. Indeed, Jesus has said it's more important for me to look at my own sin first (Luke 6:41-42 and Mat. 7:3-5).

So, I don't know how to confront someone else's sin. I am having a hard enough time confronting my own sin!

- Sam

Upvote 0

FlatpickingJD

Losing the battle with oxalis
Dec 2, 2005
✟38,978.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think samiam gave a good response. I know I sin, and constantly work to avoid the sins. I feel like a hypocrite to point out to others their sins when I am tainted.

I, too, have noticed a lot of people say that if you don't confront the sinner you're condoning his/her sin (the most frequent example given is homosexuality). In both your example and mine, it's difficult to say to someone, whether it be a friend or acquaintance, that they're sinning and need to change their ways. But are we condoning it if we don't? I think that's arguable.

Upvote 0

MsScarlett

Sep 5, 2007
✟8,868.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Excellent question.
To me, condoning sin is keeping close friendship with someone who is overtly harming others.
An example would be coworkers. When they show themselves to be liars/hypocrites/insert adjective here, I assume a relationship with them that involves hellos, goodbyes, pleases, and thank yous. That's all.
Some Christians will continue to 'hang out' with them, and in my opinion, that is condoning.

So which of us is doing the right thing? Beats me! I only know what's right for me, and I cannot in good conscience pretend to be friends with someone who overtly sins and causes harm to others.

Upvote 0

Speculative

Senior Veteran
May 29, 2007
Seattle
✟19,750.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I think that if we all were more concerned about our own sin instead of those of others, then we would all be much better off.
Man, I'll tell you, Adammi, you post some pretty good stuff.:thumbsup:

My guess is that people need a friend more than they need a judge, so I think the prayerful friendliness mentioned by JulySheMustFly in the OP is the right way to go.

Upvote 0

Joykins

free Crazy Liz!
Jul 14, 2005
Down in Mary's Land
✟29,390.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't look at it as if, if a friend is sinning I would drop them like a hot potato. I would do my best to encourage them to do the right thing, though, but not stop loving them...that is how God is with us, isn't it?

And if it isn't a dear friend, then I simply don't have standing to condone or not.

Upvote 0

Protinus

...once more unto the breach dear friends
Site Supporter
Apr 13, 2004
New York City
✟31,143.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't look at it as if, if a friend is sinning I would drop them like a hot potato. I would do my best to encourage them to do the right thing, though, but not stop loving them...that is how God is with us, isn't it?

It is ...as such...but do we know our "insides" before we bolster our best intentions for our brethren??

God is with us...but how do we best assimilate and channel our efforts? We seek our pain to know others first. We help and minister to others knowing that they may not be able to accept our help...then we do it again...and again.

God is with us in the pain of delivering...and receiving.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Protinus

Site Supporter
Apr 13, 2004
New York City
✟31,143.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Democrat

It is ...as such...but do we know our "insides" before we bolster our best intentions for our brethren??

God is with us...but how do we best assimilate and channel our efforts? We seek our pain to know others first. We help and minister to others knowing that they may not be able to accept our help...then we do it again...and again.

God is with us in the pain of delivering...and receiving.

Upvote 0

Protinus

Site Supporter
Apr 13, 2004
New York City
✟31,143.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Democrat
Ministering to someone is not the same as judging them. Think of the difference between a doctor and a judge.

I know the business of a physician. I'm intrigued bythe business of a judge.

My business is to know others by their faith first. Then they will reveal their suffering as only God would know it. But it will be the individual to express THEIR suffering and the bid that Christ would provide the answer.

Grant me the strength to intervene early enough to provide clarity in His word.

Upvote 0

Protinus

Site Supporter
Apr 13, 2004
New York City
✟31,143.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Democrat
"You are condoning sin" is an accusation.

It says more about the accuser than the accused.

absolutely RG! As my sin is most profound...how do I make your sin acceptable for your discernment and YOUR abilty to accept it?

brilliant!

Reactions: MsVicki
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

geekgirlkelli

I'm the girl your mother warned you about.
Nov 7, 2007
✟16,328.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Ministering to someone is not the same as judging them. Think of the difference between a doctor and a judge.

Personally, I don't think it's our business to be either. We're not spiritual doctors or judges. Both are God's business, no? I think the best way to alienate someone is to approach them like you're a doctor trying to 'fix' them. When you look at it that way, it sure seems condescending, doesn't it? Yes, that's how I would feel.

This is where those verses about not looking on the 'sin' of others, and pulling the beam out of your own eye become truly important. I'm not saying there aren't times you shouldn't say something to someone, but not everything that Christians think is 'sin' is really sin, IMO.

Personally, I feel that unless someone is being harmed in some serious way, it is best that we mind ourselves and stop worrying about what others may be doing and thinking. Is God not big enough to deal with the hearts and minds of another? Or does it become our business simply because we somehow feel superior to one we feel is 'sinning.'

Kelli

Upvote 0
Dec 5, 2005
✟19,912.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"You are condoning sin" is an accusation.

It says more about the accuser than the accused.
This is true but seeing that they are often convinced beyond a doubt that they are right I'm curios what actual condoning of sin looks like. So far it seems to be very subjective.

Im to busy dealing with my own sins and weaknesses to worry about someone elses. I will just stick to doing my best to love them.

If thats condoning, fine.
That's where I am as well. Kind of still working out my own salvation ya know.

Does this apply differently if it is not a follower of Jesus who is sinning verses a follower?

Upvote 0

Im_A

Legend
May 10, 2004
✟35,359.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
In Relationship

i have a hard time with this kind of thing. my theory is, people know what they do. even in the example, adulterers know they are committing adultery. so if one willingly choose to sin, i say, suffer the consequences and deal with it. its how i look at it in my own life, so what else can i expect for others or what can i be for others? the voice in their head that they've already ignored?

plus, when one sins, that means they want the sin. so whether or not i condone it, they want it. speaking out means nothing. can't lead a horse to water if it doesn't want to be leaded.

plus i don't like partaking in one's sin. becoming that middle person is a fragile thing that i'm very careful to who i do that with. i don't want others' sins in my life. i don't want to be sin for someone else. i'm here for support, not to tell others what to do. plus i think very high of us being on the highest of part of the evolution pole, so if people willingly want to lower their standards then i let them, because they know they already know they are doing it to themselves.

if someones comes to me seeking with questions about my opinion about this and that, then my answer would be completely different than the way i'm answering now.

until then, since i have sin that i deal with, and since, at least in my perspective, people know what they do and there's only one way to sin and that is by choosing to do something that is considered sinful, then i say let cause and effect take place.

so my answer is, i don't condone something that i stay away from in others lives. i just avoid judging and condoning all together.

Reactions: FlatpickingJD
Upvote 0

DeanM

Jun 4, 2007
✟5,870.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Some people call the cops on neighbors who move their thrash cans too loudly, yet do nothing while their children do drugs in their basement.

Some people are alarmed if their neighbors keep a Buddha statue in their hall, but say nothing about a statue of Mary.

Then, there others who react in the complete opposite fashion.

My 'condoning' of sin ends when someone else is hurt or endangered. But that's just me.

Upvote 0