Concerning the Eucharist

Status
Not open for further replies.

Virgil the Roman

Young Fogey & Monarchist-Distributist . . .
Jan 14, 2006
Kentucky
✟64,604.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Is it a sin, if i at one time recieved the "eucharist" in a protestant church, while being still 100% catholic.( i just attended their service at the church, and recieved their communion.) I know I'm not supposed to, but is a sin, though?:scratch:

Virgil the Roman

Jan 14, 2006
Kentucky
✟64,604.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Also, I thought it wouldn't be, since most protestant churches, except the Lutheran and a very small amount of Anglican Churches hold that the eucharist is actually the body and blood of our Lord Christ Jesus.

Upvote 0

QuantaCura

Rejoice always.
Aug 17, 2005
✟21,762.00
Faith
Catholic
It is for a variety of reasons. First and foremost, it is a sign of communion or unity to us, so by accepting their communion you are saying you are in communion with them--either that's a lie or you have disavowed the Catholic Church. I realize this was not your intent, but I would confess it anyway.

Second, we are only to give God authentic worship. Participating in protestant worship services separate from the Church with false and symbolic communion is not the authentic worship we are to give Him. It also gives the scandal of religious indifferentism.

Again, it doesn't seem like you really intended any of this, but if I were you I would confess it next time I went to confession. :)

Upvote 0

King of the Nations

Apr 22, 2005
✟5,186.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Others
Also, I thought it wouldn't be, since most protestant churches, except the Lutheran and a very small amount of Anglican Churches hold that the eucharist is actually the body and blood of our Lord Christ Jesus.
Some "hold" that, yes. That doesn't mean it's true, though.

To the best of my knowledge, the Orthodox Church is the only non-Catholic Church with valid holy orders (and, therefore, valid Eucharist).

The way you've worded your post, I'm guessing that there was no harm intended at all in what you did. But, yes, for a Catholic to receive communion in a Protestant church would be a sin, objectively speaking, because it can give the wrong impression to others (or even you) - namely that there is some sort of validity to this Protestant Eucharist, and that whether one is Catholic or Lutheran or Anglican, etc does not really matter. It also may put faith where there doesn't deserve to be any (in the notion that Lutheran Eucharist, for example, is "the real deal").

To attend a Protestant service is one thing and ok under certain conditions. To receive communion in it is another.

Hope this helps.

Greg

Upvote 0

Brother_Justin

Warrior of Our Lady
Apr 10, 2005
Iowa
✟4,587.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
First and formost the fact that you are asking about it suggests to me that you should confess it.

Secondly yes it is a sin. Showing a non existant unity between protestants and Catholics is a lie. Secondly I would say that it is demeaning to the Eucharist to partake in a cerimony that pretends to be authentic but yet only believes the elements to be a "symbol." Plus why would you take of protestant communion unless of course you just really like grape juice and bread.

Im sure you didn't intend to mean any harm. But the fact that you are asking the question suggests you should probly go ahead and confess.

Brother Justin <><

Upvote 0

Maynard Keenan

Aug 21, 2004
Louisville, KY
✟20,085.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I choose not to participate in a protestant church, but I do not personally view it as sin. I believe that if you have full knowledge that what you are doing is not intended to either duplicate or replace holy eucharist, then there is no offense. I'd view it as breaking bread with people who we do not consider to hold fullness of truth, but are still our brothers in Christ.

Upvote 0

Virgil the Roman

Jan 14, 2006
Kentucky
✟64,604.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I'll probally confess next time I'll go to confession. Anywho, I communed with the protestant church back before, I knew I wasn't supposed to, and that it was a sin. I know that still doesn't excuse me. I'm just trying to avoid any misunderstanding that I don't accept that church's (that church had a female pastor, so i now know it's herectical)validity of sacraments, and know it's in heresy. So, I'll make good on my intent and confess my previous unbeknownst sin, when I get the chance.

:prayer: May the Lord have mercy on me. Dominus Misereatur. Amen.:crossrc:

Reactions: WarriorAngel
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.