✟16,105.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Engaged
From the Orthodox Study Bible:

1:1,2 In times past and to the fathers (v. 1) are contrasted with in these last days and to us (v. 2). In OT times times, God spoke constantly through the Holy Spirit in the Law and the prophets, leading His people into greater truth. Now He speaks directly, through His own incarnate Son. The fathers are the leaders of Israel and representative of all the spiritual ancestors of New Israel.

St. John Chrysostom also has a sermon on these two verses: http://www.ccel.org/ccel/schaff/npnf114.v.v.html

Upvote 0

Shiranui117

Sack of Hammers
Jul 29, 2013
Ohio
✟16,105.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Engaged
No problem, Sayre :) He was around the latter half of the 300's, and died around 407. He was a reader and deacon in Antioch during the mid-300's where he gained an excellent reputation as an orator, master in rhetoric and well-educated theologian, then was literally kidnapped and elevated to the Archbishopric of Constantinople in the 380's. He died in exile because he ruffled the feathers of the complacent and worldly upper classes too much, while exhorting the entire city to live lives of piety and faith in Christ. A lot of his sermons were recorded by stenographers and written down--there are hundreds you can find for free online.

Upvote 0

Sayre

Veteran
Sep 21, 2013
✟18,216.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Thanks again.

I can't remember if EO's are sola scriptura - I assume the answer is no.

If God chooses to reveal Himself through Christ - is that exclusive? Does that infer that the bible is not the vehicle by which God chooses to reveal Himself - and instead - that the bible is merely a record of the revelation of Jesus?

Upvote 0
K

Kyprian

Thanks again.

If God chooses to reveal Himself through Christ - is that exclusive? Does that infer that the bible is not the vehicle by which God chooses to reveal Himself - and instead - that the bible is merely a record of the revelation of Jesus?

The answer to the question is a most emphatic no. No sola scriptura.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

yeah it's a no. kinda hard to be sola Scriptura when it took nearly 400 years to put the canon together.

If God chooses to reveal Himself through Christ - is that exclusive?

yes, Christ IS the revelation of the Father

Does that infer that the bible is not the vehicle by which God chooses to reveal Himself - and instead - that the bible is merely a record of the revelation of Jesus?

well, it's just not the ONLY vehicle. God can reveal Himself anyway He chooses. that being said, the Bible is not merely a record of Christ's revelation, since it is just as applicable today as it was when God first called the Apostles. that is one of many things that the Bible is.

Upvote 0

Sayre

Veteran
Sep 21, 2013
✟18,216.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
yeah it's a no. kinda hard to be sola Scriptura when it took nearly 400 years to put the canon together.

yes, Christ IS the revelation of the Father

well, it's just not the ONLY vehicle. God can reveal Himself anyway He chooses. that being said, the Bible is not merely a record of Christ's revelation, since it is just as applicable today as it was when God first called the Apostles. that is one of many things that the Bible is.

Thank you Matt. Can you expound a little more on what you think the bible is?

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Thank you Matt. Can you expound a little more on what you think the bible is?

it's a lot of things. Law, history, poetry, prophecy, hymns, proverbs, letters, theology, etc all pointing us to Christ. and when I say us, I mean everyone, in everytime, in every circumstance.

Upvote 0

Sayre

Veteran
Sep 21, 2013
✟18,216.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
it's a lot of things. Law, history, poetry, prophecy, hymns, proverbs, letters, theology, etc all pointing us to Christ. and when I say us, I mean everyone, in everytime, in every circumstance.

Would it be in keeping with EO theology if I said that the bible pointed towards Christ, who is the revelation of God, rather than saying that the bible is the revelation of God?

I asked a protestant this and I was told that Christ IS the Bible. :confused:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The Bible is the Word of God, pure and simple. It is God-breathed. The Holy Spirit abounds in Scripture. But it's important to remember that it was the Orthodox Church, East and West at the time, who decided which Scripture was inspired and which were nonsense. There were false Gospels going around at the time. The Gnostics had their own phony gospels as did others and the Fathers knew best. The Church compiled Scripture and for the last 2,000 years is the custodian of Scripture. The Fathers commented on it and put it in the perspective that it deserved giving their own contemporary comprehension of it that we in 2014 lack. The Fathers knew Greek, knew the culture of the time, and they understood the flow and meaning of Scripture in a special way. Not only were they children of the age of Christ, but they were inspired by the Holy Spirit. So if people say that the Church must be subordinate to Scripture, they don't truly have a grounding in the patristics or good, sound theology. Scripture came from the Church, not the Church from Scripture. Keep in mind that it took centuries to have an official canon of Scripture. Many churches didn't have the complete Biblical picture from day one. The bishop guided the flock, the patriarchs guided the bishops and people, and the Holy Spirit was firmly in control.

Protestants like to think that Scripture is somehow marginalized and ignored by Orthodox and Catholic churches, but they couldn't be more incorrect. It is Holy Orthodoxy that keeps private interpretation in check. The Church understands the holistic nature of scripture and keeps us all from isolating one or two lines and making our own anachronistic meanings out of it.

Thank God we have the Church to keep us from using Scripture to our own peril making us into tiny tin gods!

Would it be in keeping with EO theology if I said that the bible pointed towards Christ, who is the revelation of God, rather than saying that the bible is the revelation of God?

I asked a protestant this and I was told that Christ IS the Bible. :confused:

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The Gospel of John tells us that that gospel could never contain the entirety of Our Lord's teachings and words, so of course, no. The Bible isn't God. That would be idolatry, shameful blasphemy. It contains the Word of God, but no book is divinity nor could it contain the infinite. It is a glimpse into the mind of God, wonderful teachings, and we learn through the OT and NT how God wants to relate to us, how much He loves us, and it gives us hope. But God didn't create Scripture to somehow have us worship it.

Thank you gurney.

So you are happy to agree that Christ is not the Bible?

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

well, it is a revelation of God since everything in it was revealed by God. the Bible is just not the ONLY thing revealed by God. this is where the prayers, icons, canons, lives of saints, hymns, etc come into play.

So you are happy to agree that Christ is not the Bible?

haha, yes Christ is not the Bible.

Upvote 0