Comfort Catholicism has to go. It is time to prepare for persecution.

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,666,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We are at war for our own souls and the souls of people we love. We are at war for the soul of this culture and nation. And like any soldier, we must train to fight well. We must study our faith and be more committed than ever. We must know our enemy and his tactics, and we must prepare to suffer- and even lose our life.

Continued below.
http://m.ncregister.com/blog/msgr-p...s-to-go-it-is-time-to-prepare-for-persecution

bill5

Jul 30, 2011
✟63,199.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
A for effort but none may stand in the way of the Politically Correct beast. I'm not saying compromise to it, anything but.......just don't expect much more than rejection and sneering, self-righteous vitriol from society, generally speaking.

PS, just to be sure no one gets the wrong idea: I'm hardly saying that from an ivory tower. I'm no shining example. Just my take on the article.

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
A for effort but none may stand in the way of the Politically Correct beast. I'm not saying compromise to it, anything but.......just don't expect much more than rejection and sneering, self-righteous vitriol from society, generally speaking.

PS, just to be sure no one gets the wrong idea: I'm hardly saying that from an ivory tower. I'm no shining example. Just my take on the article.

Oh yes we can stand in it's way!
The March for Life has been standing in it's way for years.
Kim Davis stood in it's way and she won.
The Little Sisters have been standing in it's way resolutely.
People who don't buy from Target have been standing in it's way.

all it takes is for people who believe to act on those beliefs.

and yes, we should expect to get exactly the same rejection that Christ suffered for us.
If we are followers that means we follow Him all the way, whatever it costs us.

Reactions: mea kulpa
Upvote 0

bill5

Jul 30, 2011
✟63,199.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
? Of those you mentioned, only the Target case scored any considerable victory (Little Sisters kinda did, but my point being for them only, not against the bigger issue overall).

Don't get me wrong, I applaud and agree with your enthusiasm and such actions.....my only point is that on the whole, don't expect much in the way of results. The PC beast still rules supreme, and likely will well beyond our time on this Earth. It's the loony times we live in.

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
? Of those you mentioned, only the Target case scored any considerable victory (Little Sisters kinda did, but my point being for them only, not against the bigger issue overall).

Don't get me wrong, I applaud and agree with your enthusiasm and such actions.....my only point is that on the whole, don't expect much in the way of results. The PC beast still rules supreme, and likely will well beyond our time on this Earth. It's the loony times we live in.

i had to smile at the 'don't expect much in the way of results' bit.
remember the Wright brothers,
Edison and his light bulb,
Ben Franklin and his experiments with lightening,
the earliest computers and binary language,
Newton and the apple, Ford automobiles,
radio, television, sputnik, chimps in space?

they all had their detractors too. ;)

Upvote 0

MoonlessNight

Fides et Ratio
Sep 16, 2003
✟63,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

It's possible to effectively oppose the politically correct.

It isn't possible to do so while maintaining a reputation of a "nice" person.

What distinguishes many groups of people who oppose the PC cause is whether they value opposing PC above being thought of as "nice."

Upvote 0

bill5

Jul 30, 2011
✟63,199.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
i had to smile at the 'don't expect much in the way of results' bit.
remember the Wright brothers,
Edison and his light bulb,
Ben Franklin and his experiments with lightening,
the earliest computers and binary language,
Newton and the apple, Ford automobiles,
radio, television, sputnik, chimps in space?

they all had their detractors too. ;)
Not valid analogies, however. :)

It's possible to effectively oppose the politically correct.
Sure. It's possible to win the lotto too. ;)

Upvote 0

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
The word is very clear that we will face increased persecution in latter times. But Christ told us to be of good cheer because he has overcome the world.

“I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Not valid analogies, however. :)
they all achieved more than they dared hope for, and we are the beneficiaries of their
labor and perseverance.
but fortitude in the doing is also something to be gained, as are all the various graces along the way.
in one sense it's similar to fasting.

the first week is hard; finding a way to do without means we think of food. a lot!
so is the second week hard. we count the hours until we can eat.
then the third week comes along and we begin to get into the routine of it.
the fourth week passes, and we start using the changed routine for something good
the fifth week arrives and we find energy
the sixth week is here, and we find enlightenment and peace at last.

sometimes good things take years to achieve rather than just weeks.
but either way if we stick to it and keep the goal in sight, there is nothing that cannot be achieved.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,089,808.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Imagine how good we would all feel if our parishes agreed to sponsor families who are suffering "real" religious persecution. Imagine if each one of our parishes sponsored a Christian refugee family from Syria.

My parish (and many others) sponsored Vietnamese families after the Vietnam war. We found them apartments, chipped in and donated to get them furniture and household goods. Local business owners would help them get jobs. Tutors helped them learn English. We had a Vietnamese priest in our parish who helped coordinate the effort. A family I knew took in two teens who were "boat people."

Imagine the spirit. Imagine how, as we met people who suffered real religious persecution, we would become grateful for our country, knowing that as we became more compassionate and grew our hearts we were making our country a better place--by doing something positive.

It happened in the 1970's--it can happen today.

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Imagine how good we would all feel if our parishes agreed to sponsor families who are suffering "real" religious persecution. Imagine if each one of our parishes sponsored a Christian refugee family from Syria.

My parish (and many others) sponsored Vietnamese families after the Vietnam war. We found them apartments, chipped in and donated to get them furniture and household goods. Local business owners would help them get jobs. Tutors helped them learn English. We had a Vietnamese priest in our parish who helped coordinate the effort. A family I knew took in two teens who were "boat people."

Imagine the spirit. Imagine how, as we met people who suffered real religious persecution, we would become grateful for our country, knowing that as we became more compassionate and grew our hearts we were making our country a better place--by doing something positive.

It happened in the 1970's--it can happen today.

"real" religious persecution, hmmm?
how real does 'real' have to be to qualify as persecution?

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,089,808.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Is there any way you can compare families being driven from their homes and businesses with only the clothes on their backs to a county clerk who refuses to perform the duties listed in her job description?

Just as my going on mission trips to Central America forever changed my perspective; so working with refugees from life-threatening persecution will forever change our perspectives on what constitutes persecution.

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Is there any way you can compare families being driven from their homes and businesses with only the clothes on their backs to a county clerk who refuses to perform the duties listed in her job description?

Just as my going on mission trips to Central America forever changed my perspective; so working with refugees from life-threatening persecution will forever change our perspectives on what constitutes persecution.
ok, did the mission trip open your eyes to persecution, or did it just relocate the problem of persecution and put a different face on it?

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,089,808.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Example:
In the United States, parents may be dissatisfied with their disabled child's IEP or classroom placement. They are guaranteed an "appropriate" education, but sometimes disagree with what the school thinks is appropriate.

In Guatemala, the city of 40,000 where we were ministering had one special ed program, founded by a former Benedictine monk. 20 children were able to attend for 3 hours a day, with caring teachers who lacked supplies and a playground with rusted, broken playground equipment. Most children who need special education are taught by their families to beg on the street. One of the teen boys I met there even showed me how he 'begged.' What we think is injustice or persecution may seem that way to be us, but compared with other people's plights around the globe they are miniscule.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Jesus Christ today, yesterday and forever!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟294,001.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
Example:
In the United States, parents may be dissatisfied with their disabled child's IEP or classroom placement. They are guaranteed an "appropriate" education, but sometimes disagree with what the school thinks is appropriate.

In Guatemala, the city of 40,000 where we were ministering had one special ed program, founded by a former Benedictine monk. 20 children were able to attend for 3 hours a day, with caring teachers who lacked supplies and a playground with rusted, broken playground equipment. Most children who need special education are taught by their families to beg on the street. One of the teen boys I met there even showed me how he 'begged.' What we think is injustice or persecution may seem that way to be us, but compared with other people's plights around the globe they are miniscule.

And how is the above example related to persecution ?
From your story it doesn't seem like it's religiously motivated at all just plain and simple poverty which is bad in itself, but it's not to be confused with persecution.

Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Jesus Christ today, yesterday and forever!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟294,001.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single

Persecution as it's origin (Satan) puts on different faces for different social structures.
To compare two forms is meaningless.

Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0

MoonlessNight

Fides et Ratio
Sep 16, 2003
✟63,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Imagine how good we would all feel if our parishes agreed to sponsor families who are suffering "real" religious persecution.

It says a lot that your primary concern in aiding those who experience religious persecution is how good it would make us feel.

Upvote 0

Wolf_Says

Aug 19, 2016
USA
✟30,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Can someone explain, what is comfort catholicism? I grew up in a traditional Catholic Church, confession 30min prior to every mass, no alter-girls, no eucharistic ministers unless needed, priest sat off to the side and the tabernacle was right behind the alter. We received communion kneeling down, latin mass or parts of the mass in latin and not afraid to stand up against the pro-choice/PC culture.

Upvote 0

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It says a lot that your primary concern in aiding those who experience religious persecution is how good it would make us feel.

What makes you conclude that how she feels is her "primary concern"? The mere fact that she, in this one instance but not others, prefaced her remarks encouraging the welcoming refugees with that qualifier? That's rather absurd.

Imagine how good it would feel to end world hunger and abortion. It would feel very good. That's not why I want to do it, but it would indeed feel good.

That you, a Christian, elect to ignore the substance of a very good post and to instead nitpick about the poster herself should embarrass you. This is the person that you elect to be, over and over, habitually. I don't know if its in your power to change or not so I certainly won't pass any judgements on your character, but your behavior is awful. Lord knows I've found fault with countless things Fantine has said (and said countless awful things myself I suppose) but in this instance she is advicating for something wholly compatible with Christ's directives to us and you can't be bothered to do anything but snark at her and ignore her message.

Reactions: fat wee robin
Upvote 0