United States
✟25,233.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Laughing here because I think we all do the same thing,trying many of the things I read above including pretending I just 'cant hear you,hello? hello? must be a bad conection' it was terrible during election time! I was so tired of the political calls I actually :( lied and said im voting for ralph nadar just to get them away from me.

Upvote 0

UberLutheran

Feb 2, 2004
✟20,440.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Listen to the entire telemarketer's spiel, making a note of the SECOND point.

When he asks you if you have any questions, tell him that you didn't understand anything past the second point.

He'll start there, and explain the entire thing again. Make a note of the THIRD point.

When he asks you if you have any questions, tell him you didn't understand anything past the third point.

He'll start there, and explain the entire thing again. Make a note of the FOURTH point, etc.

The trick is to keep the telemarketer on the line for as long as possible (since they get paid by how many items they sell or how many calls they make in an hour) -- and then, at the very end, to say, "Well, thanks anyway -- but I'm not interested!"

Trust me: they'll never call again. ;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

UberLutheran

Feb 2, 2004
✟20,440.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Interrupt the telemarketer and say something like, "I'm lonely. I'm really, REALLY lonely. What I'd really love is if we could get together after work and have a few drinks, because I'm really, REALLY LONELY and I'd love to have someone to talk to!"

It's even better if you can tape this telephone exchange. Most of the time this reduces the telemarketer to stammering and gasping -- before they hang up!

Upvote 0

UberLutheran

Feb 2, 2004
✟20,440.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Interrupt the telemarketer and tell him/her there's someone at the door.

Put the phone down on the counter.

Now, VERY QUIETLY, get your car keys, leave the house, and -- it's time for ice cream at the really good ice cream store; or coffee at the really good coffee shop. Take your time. Savor the ice cream (or coffee).

The telemarketer will have hung up by the time you get home.

Upvote 0

UberLutheran

Feb 2, 2004
✟20,440.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
After the telemarketer begins his/her spiel, it's suddenly time for a "nature call".

Take the phone with you when you go to the restroom. You don't have to describe a thing: the sound will speak for itself.

I have never had a telemarketer call back after that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.