Sep 12, 2013
✟22,175.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Ok. So, after maybe my second or third visit to an Orthodox parish, I had 2 different experiences. One was just a dream I had about the church (nothing odd since I had been thinking about the church), but the other experience was a bit odd. I randomly started smelling incense, in my home. It didn't last long, but it was interesting. Again, perhaps because I had been thinking about the church.

Recently, I've been visiting TEC as I try to discern between Anglicanism & Orthodoxy. I enjoy both faiths & struggle to work out my stumbling blocks with both. Yesterday, I found myself wishing for a sign to tell me which way to go (silly, right?). I decided just to google differences between the two faiths. I came to a blog that was responding to another blog (orthodox response to a post on Anglican blog) & went to the comment to follow discussion... & there was the priest of the tiny Orthodox Church I had visited. ( I clicked the name link & it took me to the church, so I am certain it was the same person ).

Bizarre coincidence probably...as a person who tries to be logical, I think it was just that. But still felt like a sign , lol - wish fulfillment I guess.

So, I wanna know, did you have any "signs" that pointed you to Orthodoxy? Or just coincidences that got you thinking? How do you distinguish between signs & coincidences in general? I don't think God wants to make us decode things, only that we would seek Him & the truth.

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
So, I wanna know, did you have any "signs" that pointed you to Orthodoxy?

not anything like that, I just saw that only Orthodoxy maintained the faith of the Apostles. signs can help and can be of God, but they can also be of our own mind or the enemy. so I would not put all my stock in signs.
Or just coincidences that got you thinking?

even coincidences are from God's hand, and are given for your salvation

How do you distinguish between signs & coincidences in general?

you talk to your priest, that is what he is there for, haha.

these very well could be of God to get you to become Orthodox, and if they bare good fruit they are definitely from Him. so I would say find your closest parish and tell the priest there and see what he says.

Upvote 0

graceandpeace

Episcopalian
Sep 12, 2013
✟22,175.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Thanks. Logically speaking, I think they were just coincidences, but it got me thinking is all. Reading on the GOARCH site, it seems a conversion is not recommended if one spouse is not supportive & I am fairly certain mine would not support it. Still gonna keep seeking though. I could see myself converting to TEC or EOC, but feel (currently) my spouse would be more willing to convert to TEC. I am trying to get him to educate himself on both churches, but he has not been as committed as I am in this regard. He initially wanted to stay in a low church Protestant setting, but he really loved the Episcopal church we visited together. So, we shall see.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
God bless you on your search! there are many on here who converted and the spouse did not, so they could prolly help you with that. often it seems that after some time, the unbelieving spouse converts as well, so you never know.

Upvote 0

Shiranui117

Sack of Hammers
Jul 29, 2013
Ohio
✟16,105.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Engaged
My "sign" so far seems to be an intuitive feeling or knowledge deep in my heart--no matter how I try and get away from Orthodoxy and find another place which can satisfy all my spiritual needs (and believe me, I have tried), I always keep coming back to Orthodoxy. When I imagine having a family, I imagine bringing the kids up Orthodox. If you were to make me fill out my religious affiliation on a form, I'd say "Orthodox". And when I think of a church that meets all my spiritual needs and stands the test of time and is unchanged through history, the Orthodox Church is the only one that comes to mind.

And I wonder why I'm not ready to become a catechumen yet, lol.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
My "sign" so far seems to be an intuitive feeling or knowledge deep in my heart--no matter how I try and get away from Orthodoxy and find another place which can satisfy all my spiritual needs (and believe me, I have tried), I always keep coming back to Orthodoxy. When I imagine having a family, I imagine bringing the kids up Orthodox. If you were to make me fill out my religious affiliation on a form, I'd say "Orthodox". And when I think of a church that meets all my spiritual needs and stands the test of time and is unchanged through history, the Orthodox Church is the only one that comes to mind.

And I wonder why I'm not ready to become a catechumen yet, lol.

haha, that one is prolly God letting you know something

Upvote 0