• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

co-worker blues at the workplace

breezywx

May 12, 2004
Georgia
Visit site
✟124.00
Faith
Christian
I feel like this was kind of a rushed post, I highlighted in bold the important stuff to me.

I'm having a lot of trouble understanding the attitudes of my co-workers...

Most of the time, I either feel:

1) Like I'm being teased too much

or

2) Jealous of other co-workers

or

3) That I may loose my job

or

4) Unable to keep up with the "intelligence" of other people in conversations or in competing assignments and deadlines

OR...

5) All of the above

(Fortunately, this isn't a multiple choice test.)

It's a big complex problem, and I get very emotional at times working there. I have talked about my personal issues too much to a few people there, and one co-worker teases me about it a lot. I also assume he talks about me with another friend of mine, when I'm not there. I think this way, because, around me - they have talked about other people behind their backs, too. I admit that I've joined in their conversations and talked about other people, too. I don't do it anymore because of the amount of times I've messed up over there and feel like a hypocrite talking about people when I haven't done so well, either.

At work, I haven't followed instructions very well. I'm so much better than I used to be, but sometimes I don't do the work exactly the way I'm supposed to, either.

There is a "know-it-all" person that sits next to me, that does a very good job and sometimes looks over my work and always points out what is wrong with it. He is always bragging (teasing?) about his work and how mine doesn't look as good sometimes. On a good note, he does praise some of the work I have done. He doesn't usually talk much, but when the time comes up, or whenever our boss is around; he tells her how good of a job his work is compared to mine, and complains about the people who don't do as good of a job to others in the company. He's one of those people who constantly complains about "idiots", like he has never done anything wrong in his life, which gets annoying. He once told me that if a chance arose that he has gotten incompetant people fired before.

Whenever the co-worker that trained me, the one that has helped me a lot in overcoming some things, talks to him, the "air" about them is - "You have never messed up, you can do no wrong!" My trainer complained about him before, back in the days when I really didn't do anything wrong and he wasn't sitting next to me. It's not that I want her to complain about it again, though. I also get the feeling they know I'm jealous, because this guy also likes to bring up my insecurities and tease me about them...Oh it's a long story, but you get the point.

While it's true he has done a lot better job than me, he is being a hypocrite, at times. He has failed to do the work he was supposed to, a few times. And I want to tell my boss that he hasn't been doing his work. I just don't see how my boss is ever going to believe me, especially since I've messed up more times than one and would seem like - "Yeaahh, right."

ANYWAY - my MAIN problem is -

I'm just trying to get past my own state of mind, that ever since that person started sitting next to me, I have done poorly, and that my trainer talks to him more about things, often ignoring my solutions to problems. I'm one of those people who take comments to heart and overanalyzes everything, even if they aren't true. I'm trying to get over the "caring what people think" stage, because I've discovered that all my life, I have been driven by what people think of me. And the more I get criticized, the more I feel like they are just talking amongst themselves because they know I get jealous - the more I say - "forget this work, I'm sick of it, I never get any praise like I used to get...Im quitting. Why bother?"

I believe there is a way out through "self-improvement", often forgetting God. I can't even talk to anyone at work about these issues - I feel that my "talk to people about my personal problems" card has been used up. I know of one close Christian friend there, but I feel like I'm annoying her, but I'll try...

TheMainException

Senior Veteran
Jun 13, 2004
In my universe
✟19,228.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
awww....my brother......this frustrates me....I can't believe this (well I can, but it's just really upsetting....)......If you begin to feel yourself getting frustrated and annoyed or just plain emotional over something, start repeating this to yourself on the breath in: "Lord Jesus Christ, son of God" and on the breath out: "have mercy on me, a sinner"

This brings peace over me....but you can't be thinking of other things while doing it....just get focused in and do it.....and then come back to earth and try to get back to work....I hope this works....Lauren

Upvote 0

breezywx

May 12, 2004
Georgia
Visit site
✟124.00
Faith
Christian
It has worked before for me, and I'm going to have to keep God in mind more. I try to be myself, but sometimes I tend to just start acting like "them", going along with whatever jokes they have or whatever comes out of their mouth.

I need to start going to church. When I read your post I immediately felt that it is quite different from my work experiences! Thank you for your advice.

I'm still feeling anxious about going in to work, some days are good, some days aren't. It depends on a lot of things. I can't change my co-worker, but I can change myself.

Upvote 0