Apr 26, 2014
✟66,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
There's no disputing this. At the same time it is essential that all Christians understand clearly that because they have believed on the Lord Jesus Christ, they have been declared righteous by God, and are also deemed to be righteous with the righteousness of Christ. This is imputed righteousness. Therefore they must now practice righteousness. Even so, it will always be the imputed righteousness of Christ (as well as the blood of Christ) which will ensure their entry into Heaven.

John has something to say on this.

1 John 3:10
In this the children of God and the children of the devil are manifest: whoever does not practice righteousness is not of God, nor is he who does not love his brother.

If one does not practice righteousness, how does imputed righteousness help, if he is NOT OF GOD?

Upvote 0

Job8

Dec 1, 2014
✟21,583.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
However, the word says ...
-- only those who practice righteousness actually are righteous
-- only the righteous may enter the kingdom of God
Do you see the logic of this?
So, what happened to that imputed righteousness?
Zachary,
You can "practice" all the righteousness you want, and you will still come short of the glory of God.

So if we take a hypothetical scenario where you are standing at the gate of Heaven:
God asks you: "On what grounds should I admit you into my holy presence?"
You: "I have been practising righteousness".
God: "Are you as perfect as I am, since that is the criterion for entry?"
You: "Frankly, I admit that I am not as perfect as God".
God: "Then you need the perfection of Christ. Do you have it?"
You: "Not sure. I always questioned and doubted imputed righteousness".

Do you see where that leaves you? Doubting God and doubting His plan of salvation.

Upvote 0

Job8

Dec 1, 2014
✟21,583.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If one does not practice righteousness, how does imputed righteousness help, if he is NOT OF GOD?
If one does not practice righteousness, he is in fact unrighteous, and if he is unrighteous, he is in fact unsaved. Those who are saved repent and believe, which means that they not only receive imputed righteousness, but they also receive the desire (created by the Holy Spirit) to live righteously. That does not mean that Christians will not sin or fall, but they will examine themselves daily, and repent as needed. The key issue is that no one enters Heaven based upon their own works of righteousness (Tit 3:4-7):

But after that the kindness and love of God our Saviour toward man appeared, Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost; Which he shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Saviour; That being justified by his grace, we should be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life.

Upvote 0

EmSw

White Horse Rider
Apr 26, 2014
✟66,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I rather see it this way -

So if we take a hypothetical scenario where you are standing at the gate of Heaven:
God asks you: "On what grounds should I admit you into my holy presence?"
You: "I have been practising righteousness".
God: "Did you know those who practice righteousness are of Me?"
You: "Yes, I read that in the writings of John."
God: "Did you know imputed righteousness matters not if you are not of ME?"
You: "Thank you Lord for the truth of Your word."

Do you see where that leaves you? Believing God's word and doubting man's plan of salvation.

Upvote 0

EmSw

White Horse Rider
Apr 26, 2014
✟66,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If one does not practice righteousness, he is in fact unrighteous, and if he is unrighteous, he is in fact unsaved. Those who are saved repent and believe, which means that they not only receive imputed righteousness, but they also receive the desire (created by the Holy Spirit) to live righteously. That does not mean that Christians will not sin or fall, but they will examine themselves daily, and repent as needed. The key issue is that no one enters Heaven based upon their own works of righteousness (Tit 3:4-7):

But after that the kindness and love of God our Saviour toward man appeared, Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost; Which he shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Saviour; That being justified by his grace, we should be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life.

I take you are saying it requires two methods of righteousness to be saved.

Upvote 0

Mister_Al

Jun 9, 2005
✟9,656.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Righteousness means right standing before God. In order to have right standing before God you have to be free of the condemnation of Adam's sin. The only way to be free of sin is through Jesus. Therefore, the only way to be righteous before God is through the right standing you receive through your union with Jesus Christ. Works have nothing to do with it.

Alan

Reactions: brotherjerry
Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Righteousness means right standing before God. In order to have right standing before God you have to be free of the condemnation of Adam's sin. The only way to be free of sin is through Jesus. Therefore, the only way to be righteous before God is through the right standing you receive through your union with Jesus Christ. Works have nothing to do with it.

Alan

Excellent post, in spite of that fact that you have a picture cat as your avitar.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Job8

Dec 1, 2014
✟21,583.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
But if they aren't practicing righteousness, they ARE NOT of God. A point you refuse to address.
Who says I did not address it? Please read what I posted carefully. Those who are of God have (1) imputed righteousness and (2) practice righteousness. At the same time, they are accepted by God solely on the merits of THE LORD OUR RIGHTEOUSNESS -- Christ.

Upvote 0

EmSw

White Horse Rider
Apr 26, 2014
✟66,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Who says I did not address it? Please read what I posted carefully. Those who are of God have (1) imputed righteousness and (2) practice righteousness. At the same time, they are accepted by God solely on the merits of THE LORD OUR RIGHTEOUSNESS -- Christ.

Acts 10:35
But in every nation whoever fears Him and works righteousness is accepted by Him.

So who are accepted, those with imputed righteousness, or those who work righteousness?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ZacharyB

charismatic believer for 23 years
Sep 24, 2015
✟16,678.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Now Zach I have to say your last post
This helps out tremendously as far as understanding your position. Up until this post the implication of your point of view was that people had to do works in order to keep their salvation...or to be co-operating with God. This makes much much more sense to understand. Thank you.
However, it still misses the mark as far as what people who believe in the eternal salvation believe. If we go with what you said here that co-operating with the Spirit is how you keep your salvation, then people who believe in eternal salvation would say that once you are saved, you can never not co-operate with the Holy Spirit. Because we have become new creatures in Christ, this new creature involves having the Holy Spirit as being part of that new creature in Christ. The Bible never describes a situation in which once the Holy Spirit is indwelt, that it leaves the person. We never see an example of someone kicking the Holy Spirit out of themselves and becoming the old creature again.
Even though I have repeated this repeatedly.
Those who are spiritually blind are in a bondage which is difficult to overcome.
And this condition is worse in those who are CLOSED and not open.

Quickly, it may help to look up a few NT Scriptures which are mind-blowing.
They say ... DISOBEDIECE (to God) proves UNBELIEF
Jesus often complained about people who had unbelief.
This serves to explain the great mystery of ...
the easy-believism verses as well as the free-grace verses!
I will start a thread on this soon.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ZacharyB

Sep 24, 2015
✟16,678.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Whom amongst we/us ever said that practicing righteousness saves anyone?
It merely PROVES who is of God ... and who is not.
Sorry to have brought this up.
It was too much of a confusion amongst those of the Laodicean church.
And 'tis not good to be a-confusing the troops of the false church!

Upvote 0

brotherjerry

Apr 28, 2006
✟9,581.00
Faith
Baptist
PLEASE!!!!! DO NOT START ANOTHER THREAD!!!!

You have started the same thing over and over and over already and they all said the same thing.

Most of it wrong and completely misrepresenting what eternal security means not only Biblicly but from the believers perspective as well.

Those who are spiritually blind are in a bondage which is difficult to overcome.
Not spiritually blind...but spiritually dead is a better understanding of things. Just as Paul spoke of in Romans...being dead to sin and alive in the Lord. Being saved means we are dead to sin. Being saved means we are no longer under the bondage of sin. All things Paul clearly preaches.

DISOBEDIECE (to God) proves UNBELIEF
Agreed....disobedience proves you were never saved. But Paul preaches that once you are saved, you become a new creature, old things (disobedience) are gone. Paul teaches in Romans the difference of a mind of disobedience in contrast to a mind of obedience...not saved and saved. When we are saved we no longer have the mind of disobedience...we have changed and become something new.

We are not that different when get down to the brass tacks of things. You simply do not have a correct view of eternal security doctrine...you have succumbed to propaganda and false teachings when it comes to that. And I mean no offense by that.

See people that believe in eternal security look at salvation as a changing moment in a persons life. Something that they can and never will change back from. Because the Bible teaches that we become new creatures in Christ. That we are something new. Paul teaches repeatedly that when we are saved we have died with Christ and been resurrected with Christ, he continually contrasts our lives before with our lives after.

Where we differ is the emphasis on works afterwards. The eternal security folks perceive works as symbolic of what Christ has already done for us. We do righteous works for God, because God has already done so much for us. And doing righteous works is really for everyone else around us. It is for them to see our lives and the changes made in our lives because of what God has done. We give God the glory so others can see God in us. And you conditional security folks it is very similar. But what you also add to that is that if you are not doing those good works, then your salvation may be at risk. The righteous works become not symbolic of what God has done, but they become the mechanism in which you are saved, no longer is it of faith, but it is of works.

Those are teachings that we do not find in the Bible. That is where we have our disagreements. Because you cannot cite one example of a person in the Bible that Christ or any Apostle ever said they were no longer a brother in Christ, that their salvation was revoked. Or an example of someone who was revoked being able to get their salvation back. We do not see this, but we see plenty of other examples of people being saved...thousands of them as a matter of fact.

Upvote 0

EmSw

White Horse Rider
Apr 26, 2014
✟66,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
PLEASE!!!!! DO NOT START ANOTHER THREAD!!!!

You have started the same thing over and over and over already and they all said the same thing.

Most of it wrong and completely misrepresenting what eternal security means not only Biblicly but from the believers perspective as well.

Not spiritually blind...but spiritually dead is a better understanding of things. Just as Paul spoke of in Romans...being dead to sin and alive in the Lord. Being saved means we are dead to sin. Being saved means we are no longer under the bondage of sin. All things Paul clearly preaches.

Agreed....disobedience proves you were never saved. But Paul preaches that once you are saved, you become a new creature, old things (disobedience) are gone. Paul teaches in Romans the difference of a mind of disobedience in contrast to a mind of obedience...not saved and saved. When we are saved we no longer have the mind of disobedience...we have changed and become something new.

I'm wondering, have you ever disobeyed the Lord's word? I believe everyone has disobeyed the word, so your view puts everyone in jeopardy of their salvation.

Upvote 0

ZacharyB

Sep 24, 2015
✟16,678.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Bro Jerry the Baptist has been brainwashed by a religious organization
which believes in, and teaches, cessationism ... i.e. they do not believe
the baptism with the Holy Spirit and the 9 spiritual power gifts are for today!

If they can be so disastrously in error on this incredibly important point,
I say they can easily be deceived and wrong on any number of other points!
I.E. Yes, this is a salvation issue!

Upvote 0

brotherjerry

Apr 28, 2006
✟9,581.00
Faith
Baptist
I'm wondering, have you ever disobeyed the Lord's word? I believe everyone has disobeyed the word, so your view puts everyone in jeopardy of their salvation.
Ummm not certain where you get that my views would say someones salvation is in jeopardy... I accept what the Bible says in that my salvation is protected by God...eternally secure. I also recognize that people do and will sin, even after they were saved. But they are no longer under the bondage of sin....sin is no longer leading their life...perhaps you have me confused with someone else?

Upvote 0