CNN on Reddit - Gender and Race Lens Why?

IceJad

May 23, 2005
✟100,160.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
I was in shock when watching what the reporter and the guest speaker spew on CNN. Here I thought that Reddit users was protesting Victoria Taylor termination (a women).

I must say I'm not too much into Reddit. It can be a toxic place in the same time a wonderful paradise. So I never follow the news too closely. Well until I watch CNN.

The things they say like Ellen Poa is Asian and a women and how the internet is a cesspool of misogyny men. And the male dominated Silicon Valley. She will never be accepted.

What has the internet got to do with men? What has Silicon Valley got to do with a site by the community for the community?

I can't help but feel that CNN is trying to push some kind of agenda. Hopefully I'm wrong. Sooner I'll not trust CNN for RELIABLE news if this is the trend.

http://edition.cnn.com/videos/tv/2015/07/12/exp-rs-0712-sarah-lacy-reddit-ellen-pao.cnn

The Cadet

SO COOL
Apr 29, 2010
Munich
✟45,617.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't think Pao can really play the gender or race card here. Her tenure on reddit was disastrous, and given that the site's primary asset is its userbase, alienating them by saying things so fundamentally opposed to the core message is not a good idea. Reddit is not Tumblr, and while this can result in some pretty nasty stuff (ask me if I think a website should have a forum dedicated to stormfront lite), any attempts to reform that will necessarily alienate that portion of the userbase.

Upvote 0

IceJad

May 23, 2005
✟100,160.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
I don't think Pao can really play the gender or race card here. Her tenure on reddit was disastrous, and given that the site's primary asset is its userbase, alienating them by saying things so fundamentally opposed to the core message is not a good idea. Reddit is not Tumblr, and while this can result in some pretty nasty stuff (ask me if I think a website should have a forum dedicated to stormfront lite), any attempts to reform that will necessarily alienate that portion of the userbase.

Point taken. And that is what I understood from reading other news. Reddit users just don't like her. Her running of Reddit is ruining the community that made Reddit so successful.

But the point seems lost in the CNN video. The reporter keep trying to bring up the gender angle and at one point I hear about her race.

Upvote 0

The Cadet

SO COOL
Apr 29, 2010
Munich
✟45,617.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Point taken. And that is what I understood from reading other news. Reddit users just don't like her. Her running of Reddit is ruining the community that made Reddit so successful.

But the point seems lost in the CNN video. The reporter keep trying to bring up the gender angle and at one point I hear about her race.
Yeah, as valid as these issues may or may not be, I think Pao would have seen the same vitriol if she had been a white man. She screwed up and lost her job. This isn't because of race or gender. This is not to diminish other cases which may in fact be because of race or gender, but in this case, it's fair to say that yes, she was fired for doing her job poorly, not doing her job while being a woman.

Upvote 0

IceJad

May 23, 2005
✟100,160.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Of course CNN and the MSM has an agenda; we call it the Narrative. Are you really just now noticing this?

You will have to forgive me. I'm not a US or Canadian citizen. I have to go international news portal to get news. Cause my country's medias are really really really REALLY bias far worst than say your standard Western media. They can print outright lies, bigotry and religious hate if it suited their owners (whom you should have guess by now are political parties).

And it has been proven many times they cover up and downplay their masters' mistakes. One even make mention that they are here to guard their master's interest.

Lately I'm beginning to notice the same kind of "Narrative" in CNN. Although not as bad as my country's.

This is sad for me. When news are no longer news but propaganda.

Upvote 0

Gadarene

-______-
Apr 16, 2012
London
✟75,247.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Labour
Yeah, as valid as these issues may or may not be, I think Pao would have seen the same vitriol if she had been a white man. She screwed up and lost her job. This isn't because of race or gender. This is not to diminish other cases which may in fact be because of race or gender, but in this case, it's fair to say that yes, she was fired for doing her job poorly, not doing her job while being a woman.

Precisely. The guy who's stepped in to take her place is already having his statements hyperscrutinised, as well as being generally trolled and mocked as Pao was.

Also, one has to love the irony at how people are all pearl-clutching over how Pao was at times targeted based on her race and gender, while all the criticism of reddit describes it in terms of how white and male it is. Maybe redditors brought up her race because it's fashionable to whale on white and male people.

Upvote 0