[CLOSED] Gay Group Demands Christian Churches Be SHUT DOWN for Opposing Same-Sex Marriage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
First off, this doesn't look like an official statement of the group. Second, all he is saying is that those churches who engage in political activity should not be tax exempt. This is not the same thing as demanding that churches be shut down.
The two points I was going to make. The two points anyone who read a quarter way through OP should want to make.

Keep on looking for that golden "Gays want to persecute Christians" new story, but this ain't it.

Upvote 0

Armoured

Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I'm mystified, by how it all works, in the United States. There are extremists, on every side, of every issue, no? So, even if that was true, which, I am doubtful that it is, it's not as though they are speaking, for all.
NO! In the age of the clickbait headline and outrage inappropriate content, the way to address all issues, no matter how diverse and nuanced the views involved, is to find the extremist outliers and insist on treating them as the default mainstream. Moderate and sensible doesn't move advertising sales.

Reactions: Blue Wren
Upvote 0

Armoured

Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
You seem to not understand what I'm saying. The government can't even serve a warrant inside the premises of a church, let alone shut them down. Church grounds are like an embassy- the state can only get involved in a dire, immediate threat. Otherwise, ~separation of church and state~
Um, I don't know how current the doctrine of sanctuary is. I'd kinda like to see the relevant law.

Upvote 0

Crowns&Laurels

Jul 11, 2015
✟6,832.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Um, I don't know how current the doctrine of sanctuary is. I'd kinda like to see the relevant law.

It's called the 1st Amendment :oldthumbsup:

Separation of Church and State works both ways. People tend to neglect that fact.

And
A sanctuary is the main room of a church, where Christians congregate. There's benches and a pulpit. Stained glass. All that good stuff.

Upvote 0

Armoured

Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It's called the 1st Amendment :oldthumbsup:

Separation of Church and State works both ways. People tend to neglect that fact.

And
A sanctuary is the main room of a church, where Christians congregate. There's benches and a pulpit. Stained glass. All that good stuff.
The first amendment says police officers can't execute a warrant in a church?

I know what a sanctuary is. I specifically said "the doctrine of sanctuary", however, which I believe kinda lost traction after the middle ages.

Thus I said I'd like to see the relevant modern law saying police can't execute a warrant in a church. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_of_asylum#Medieval_England

Upvote 0

Crowns&Laurels

Jul 11, 2015
✟6,832.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The first amendment says police officers can't execute a warrant in a church?

I know what a sanctuary is. I specifically said "the doctrine of sanctuary", however, which I believe kinda lost traction after the middle ages.

Thus I said I'd like to see the relevant modern law saying police can't execute a warrant in a church. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_of_asylum#Medieval_England

The police are not allowed to execute a warrant within a church anymore than a president is allowed to challenge the Constitution. But it happens, and it's shameful.

Upvote 0

Armoured

Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The police are not allowed to execute a search warrant on a church anymore than a president is allowed to challenge the Constitution. But they happen, and it's shameful.
Again, where does it say "The police are not allowed to execute a search warrant on a church" in either a law OR the constitution?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SepiaAndDust

There's a FISH in the percolator
May 6, 2012
Mid-America
✟26,546.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
The police are not allowed to execute a warrant within a church anymore than a president is allowed to challenge the Constitution. But it happens, and it's shameful.

Please don't spread information that is ludicrously and hilariously wrong. Thanks.

SANCTUARY. A place of refuge, where the process of the law cannot be executed.
2. Sanctuaries may be divided into religious and civil. The former were very common in Europe; religious houses affording protection from arrest to all persons, whether accused of crime, or pursued for debt. This kind was never known in the United States.
3. Civil sanctuary, or that protection which is afforded to a man by his own house, was always respected in this country. The house protects the owner from the service of all civil process in the first instance but not if he is once lawfully arrested and takes refuge in his own house. Vide Door; House.
4. No place affords protection from arrest in criminal cases; a man may, therefore, be arrested in his own house in such cases, and the doors may be broken for the purpose of making the arrest. Vide Arrest in criminal cases.

- Legal definition of Sanctuary

In the U.S., religious sanctuary was never recognized in state or federal law. The only legal equivalent in most places now is the granting of political asylum in embassies and consulates.

- Can I seek sanctuary in a church?

Upvote 0

Red Fox

Dec 14, 2014
✟23,169.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
My mother worked for the local Catholic Church. So, I know why Churches are tax exempt. "No taxation without representation." Churches are by law not to promote Obama as President, or Donald Trump for instance. They can only preach morality and ethic but maintain a neutrality towards political candidates when they run for office.

I think that any church that breaks this law should lose their tax exempt status, no matter what church it is.

They flagrantly break it as if the USA was a corrupt nation.

Well, the united states is a corrupt nation and has been since before and after its inception.

One thing I do find myself agreeing with conservative lay Catholics with is that the US Catholic Church would grow politically stronger if it gave up its tax exempt status. Its like taking a bag of Judas coins to keep your mouth shut. John Paul II forbade Catholic priest from running for and holding political offices in any country. Another foolish rule or policy in my opinion. You sure don't see the Protestant Black Church in the Democratic Party adhering to that kind of policy.

I think that any kind of religion should be kept out of politics and kept out of this nation's secular government.

It is very fortunate that we don't live in a theocracy, but rather a secular society, with a secular government.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Crowns&Laurels

Jul 11, 2015
✟6,832.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Please don't spread information that is ludicrously and hilariously wrong. Thanks.

I speak in the nature of the US's original sentiment. We may as well consider the president King- he has power to do whatever he wants. Where is this in law or the Constitution?

Upvote 0

outsidethecamp

Heb 13:10-15
Apr 19, 2014
✟3,811.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I speak in the nature of the US's original sentiment. We may as well consider the president King- he has power to do whatever he wants. Where is this in law or the Constitution?

How did we give the government power that we ourselves don't have?

Upvote 0

SepiaAndDust

May 6, 2012
Mid-America
✟26,546.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship

No you didn't. You said straight-up that police cannot serve a warrant in a church.

The Obama stuff is a derail from the OP. Start another thread if you want, but I'd let it drop in this one.

Upvote 0

Crowns&Laurels

Jul 11, 2015
✟6,832.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
No you didn't. You said straight-up that police cannot serve a warrant in a church.

The Obama stuff is a derail from the OP. Start another thread if you want, but I'd let it drop in this one.

If no one does anything about it, than they can do whatever they want.

And I'm not derailing anything. I made a clear point- nobody's doing anything about that either, he'd be hung for treason a century ago and that's just the pure and simple truth.

Upvote 0

SepiaAndDust

May 6, 2012
Mid-America
✟26,546.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
If no one does anything about it, than they can do whatever they want.

And I'm not derailing anything. I made a clear point- nobody's doing anything about that either, he'd be hung for treason a century ago and that's just the pure and simple truth.

Reported. Ignored.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.