[CLOSED] Gay Group Demands Christian Churches Be SHUT DOWN for Opposing Same-Sex Marriage

Status
Not open for further replies.

outsidethecamp

Heb 13:10-15
Apr 19, 2014
✟3,811.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
artery1.jpg

http://www.jewsnews.co.il/2015/06/2...-be-shut-down-for-opposing-same-sex-marriage/

It has begun. LGBT “activists” have gone full fascist since the passage of Indiana’s Religious Freedom Restoration Act(RFRA).

Now — right before the holiest days in the Christian calendar — one gay group is attacking Churches who dare to believe that homosexuality is wrong.

The largest gay group in one Western state is demanding that Churches who follow the Bible be shut down by the government.

Jeran Artery, the chairman of Wyoming Equality posted that stunning statement to his Facebook page. When Christians reacted with outrage, the cowardly Artery deleted it. No apology, just hoping it would go down the memory hole. No such luck.

The folks at Conservative Colorado got a screen shot of the post before Artery deleted it.

Today, in a stunning statement, Jeran Artery, Chairman of Wyoming Equality argued that churches who do not support same sex marriage should lose their tax exempt status.

“Churches that lobby to have freedoms and rights taken away from ANYONE should absolutely have their 501(c)3 status revoked!!”

Talk about tolerance, freedom of speech, and religious freedom. Disagree with Artery’s views of same sex marriage and your church will be shut down.

Gone are the days of pluralism. This is what tyranny looks like.

11188340_852824041439983_6889114994478862038_n.jpg

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,182.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
First off, this doesn't look like an official statement of the group. Second, all he is saying is that those churches who engage in political activity should not be tax exempt. This is not the same thing as demanding that churches be shut down.

Upvote 0

pakicetus

Apr 11, 2015
✟89,017.00
Country
Faroe Islands
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
First off, this doesn't look like an official statement of the group. Second, all he is saying is that those churches who engage in political activity should not be tax exempt.

I'm not sure how anyone could read his quote and still think he was saying "the government should shut down churches." It makes me think whoever wrote the article was lying on purpose, or wanted evidence of "LGBT fascism" so badly that they missed the literal meaning of the words they were quoting.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

pakicetus

Apr 11, 2015
✟89,017.00
Country
Faroe Islands
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hey, I'm just posting an article. I welcome all comments and for the record, I am not a member of an institutional 501(c)3 corporate church and ward of the state.

I don't want you to feel bad about it but I think this thread needs to be deleted. Spreading false information about people (in your case, I'm sure it's by accident) shouldn't be allowed on CF.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Crowns&Laurels

Jul 11, 2015
✟6,832.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Actually the argument can be made either way about tax exemption and the First Amendment, but still, even if a church were to get it's tax exempt status pulled, that is nowhere near the same as the church being shut down.

You seem to not understand what I'm saying. The government can't even serve a warrant inside the premises of a church, let alone shut them down. Church grounds are like an embassy- the state can only get involved in a dire, immediate threat. Otherwise, ~separation of church and state~

Upvote 0

HannahT

Site Supporter
Apr 9, 2013
✟459,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Churches have forever chosen whom they will marry and whom they will not. It's always been that way. Its never been illegal, and I doubt that will change. That doesn't give anyone's freedoms or rights away.

People don't have to be Christian to not agree with SSM, and that doesn't take anyone freedoms or rights away either. As far as I know only the government can do that.

As much as I can empathize with some people being ugly to homosexuals just for being who they are? Their ranting and raving does about as much good as the Christians they complain about.

Reactions: RedPonyDriver
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,651.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And churches used to advocate lynching blacks. Sometimes nutty people talk. Thank you internet for making sure we can hear them all now [sigh].
Well, they didn't actually advocate it. What they said was something more along the line of, "That kind of action is uncouth, but certainly understandable and within the will of God."

Upvote 0

SuperCloud

Sep 8, 2014
✟3,725.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
And churches used to advocate lynching blacks. Sometimes nutty people talk. Thank you internet for making sure we can hear them all now [sigh].

I've taken a class on the history of the US Civil Rights Movement. So did the organized labor supporting Democratic Party of the South.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,651.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Actually the argument can be made either way about tax exemption and the First Amendment, but still, even if a church were to get it's tax exempt status pulled, that is nowhere near the same as the church being shut down.

The Supreme Court decision was based on the 14th amendment, which in no way could ever be applied to the sexual activity policies of a church, any more than it ever was or could ever have been applied to the racial policies of a church. The decision does not apply to anything that further needed the Civil Rights Act to bring to pass.

Nor does 503c tax exemption depend on an organization behaving as though it was a government organization. There is not, for instance, any chance that the government is going to force the Boy Scouts of America to admit homosexual Scouters (leaders). They may decide to do it on their own, but the government is not going to force it, and this Supreme Court decision--based on the 14th amendment--going to force it.

Nor is a church required to be registered as a 503c organization to be tax exempt. Tax exemption for churches has been part of American law and jurisprudence since the very first property tax law in the United States was passed. It has been known from the beginning that "the power to tax is the power to destroy," and thus churches have always been tax exempt as a fundamental of the separation of church and state.

The reason many churches today register as tax-exempt organizations is because operating without it they are constantly subject to summary judgment by IRS that they are not operating as a church. That would revoke the tax deductability current and all past donations...so it's fiscally prudent for churches to better protect themselves as 503c organizations.

Upvote 0

SuperCloud

Sep 8, 2014
✟3,725.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
My mother worked for the local Catholic Church. So, I know why Churches are tax exempt. "No taxation without representation." Churches are by law not to promote Obama as President, or Donald Trump for instance. They can only preach morality and ethic but maintain a neutrality towards political candidates when they run for office.

Albeit, the Protestant Black Church routinely breaks this law promoting candidates of the Democratic Party. They flagrantly break it as if the USA was a corrupt nation. For the most part Catholic parishes obey the law--although at times political candidates do try and campaign within parish churches. Some lay Catholic or religious with awareness and knowledge that they are breaking the law has to stop them.

One thing I do find myself agreeing with conservative lay Catholics with is that the US Catholic Church would grow politically stronger if it gave up its tax exempt status. Its like taking a bag of Judas coins to keep your mouth shut. John Paul II forbade Catholic priest from running for and holding political offices in any country. Another foolish rule or policy in my opinion. You sure don't see the Protestant Black Church in the Democratic Party adhering to that kind of policy.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,445.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
First off, this doesn't look like an official statement of the group. Second, all he is saying is that those churches who engage in political activity should not be tax exempt. This is not the same thing as demanding that churches be shut down.

Technically not correct. They are asking that they lose 501(c)3 status for not adhering to the requirements for it. They are not demanding that the Church lose tax free status, simply that they follow the rules for the status they chose. There are tax preferred statuses available for political, organizations, but if I understand correctly the reporting rules are more difficult. 501(c)3 is pretty easy for paperwork.

Seems as usual some churches want special treatment and whine when they do not get it.

Reactions: Blue Wren
Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟332,054.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Separation of Church and State. The government cannot interfere with holy places, this is why for example churches are not obligated to pay taxes. So just ignore the riff raff.
Do they have to pay taxes on buildings, they are renting?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.