Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That's the first thing I thought, but then I've also confessed that I have moral doubts when I spend (not nearly the amount) on a vet. In fact I thought that the Church had already spoken about our stewardship and that alone would be ''weight" in this discussion. :sorry:

I know what you mean. But I know there's a scripture (in proverbs I think) that says, "The righteous man has regard for the life of his beast." So if we willingly take on pets i think we have a moral obligation to take care of them as best we can. I often think of how Jesus said that not one sparrow falls to the ground apart from the Father. He loves all the creatures He made. The question comes in where do we draw the line on how much to spend for questionable things. I often wonder what He thinks of all the pet superstores we have now.:o

Personally I think any cloning is abominable. That story is creepy!

Upvote 0

JoabAnias

Steward of proportionality- I Cor 13:1, 1 Tim 3:15
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2007
✟82,874.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That's just about human cloning. We are wondering about animal cloning.

What a temptation, if one has enough money.... I know I will dream about it, the day our beloved, unique mutt goes to the happy hunting fields...

I know. The Church teaching on animals is that they do not have a soul and God has made them subject to us. Whether they go to heaven or not is debatable and while I would like to think they do I have no way of knowing.

As far as I can tell, if there is nothing unethical about it, as there doesn't appear to be in this case, i.e.; to forward human cloning, engineering foods without all the answers to the potential ramifications for people, etc etc and only as a pet I do not see any moral dilemma but as we all know, this would likely lead where there would be moral and ethical dilemmas as secular science is rarely integrated correctly with the dignity of the person. At least thats the tract record of modern science to date. I do not take that to discount the possibility of faith and reason being in balance because I believe they can be.

Upvote 0

Site Supporter
May 26, 2004
Cape Breton
✟740,518.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Yep. They probably voted for Obama to take all MY money too.

With an apology in advance, I must say I find that thinking funny coming from an American.

Your nation borrows, borrows, borrows and runs huge deficits to finance itself.

Doesn't tax the rich or the middle class. You actually ran massive deficits in an economic boom! Deficits are for recessions, if you have any fiscal common sense.

Your country isn't run on your money, it's run on the money of foreign investors. Good luck when the investment stops.

But I digress.

Upvote 0

CreedIsChrist

Jul 25, 2008
✟4,612.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Ahmmm... .We didn't say anything of the sort, AMDG. That argument was always in our mind in the background. We were trying to see if there was another argument, one based on bioethics.

Definitely, $ 150 000 to get Lancy's identical twin, rather than $ 0 to adopt a new unique individual pet from the shelter, has huge social doctrine implications.

really? I paid around 100$ for each cat that I adopted from the animal shelter.

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
If they're gonna clone somethin' do an exotic like a T-rex not a sheep or a dog or a sheepdog...but that article has zombie written all over it~transplanted soul of dog attempting to reunite with it original flesh...zombie-doggs...
Mr.Jim, a T-rex, really? I mean really?
have you not seen Jurassic Park? or any of the horrible sequels?
yeah, I will give you a hint
spoiler warrning for you folks who did not see the movie
it does not end well, not at all

Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I never knew the Church didn't teach against cloning. I never looked it up either, though, so I guess there's your answer for that ;) I personally feel it's going too far, a playing God kind of thing, man doing things he shouldn't just because he's discovered he can.

And Mr. Jim? The Zombie-dog thing is too hilarious

Upvote 0

hawko

Aug 29, 2006
✟9,246.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
http://www.cnn.com/2009/LIVING/02/06/cloned.puppy/index.html

I find this a little creepy. Especially the part about the clone's fascination with his original's grave. I wonder if we are messing with something we shouldn't messing with here with this whole cloning thing.

My initial reaction when they cloned Dolly the lamb years ago was excitement and thinking it was cool (I'm a long-time science fiction fan, so I don't have the automatic resistance to this stuff that some folks have). But, now, years later, I just don't know. I think maybe there are more (possibly negative) implications to this than are apparent on the surface.

Does anyone know if the Church has said anything about animal cloning? I know the Church is against human cloning.

By cloning anything, be it animal or human, we are playing God.

It's bad enough that our society has allowed legalized abortion for so many years, (a way of also playing God), but now cloning ?

Sooner or later the world is going to experience thr wrath of God; I just hope that I'm not here when it happens.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rhamiel

Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
i have no moral problem with cloning animals, but I know that if we encourage the secualr world to clone animals it is only a matter of time before they clone humans, almost better to stop it now
I heard a comedian talk about breeding bears so that they are tiny, like the size of a house cat
then we could have house bears, that would be cool

Upvote 0

MrJim

Legend 3/17/05
Mar 17, 2005
FEMA Region III
✟42,622.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Mr.Jim, a T-rex, really? I mean really?
have you not seen Jurassic Park? or any of the horrible sequels?
yeah, I will give you a hint
spoiler warrning for you folks who did not see the movie
it does not end well, not at all

pish-posh Hollywood, raise 'em right and they'll eat right outta yer hand ;)

Upvote 0

MoNiCa4316

Totus Tuus
Jun 28, 2007
✟34,687.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I never knew the Church didn't teach against cloning. I never looked it up either, though, so I guess there's your answer for that ;) I personally feel it's going too far, a playing God kind of thing, man doing things he shouldn't just because he's discovered he can.

And Mr. Jim? The Zombie-dog thing is too hilarious

The Church does teach against human cloning. I think it's just silent about animal cloning.

Personally I think animal cloning is wrong cause it might lead to human cloning, as has been already said, and is also playing God.. yup..

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
The Church does teach against human cloning. I think it's just silent about animal cloning.

Personally I think animal cloning is wrong cause it might lead to human cloning, as has been already said, and is also playing God.. yup..
the scientific community is all "what can we do next" there is little or no thought into if a thing should be done, if right and wrong are taken into consideration, it is all this vague Enlightenment idea of "right" not a Christian outlook that cares for God at all.
also, there is no need to clone animals, do we need an exact copy of a cow? breeding and even genetic manipulation on livestock can take care of any type of need that would come up

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MoNiCa4316

Totus Tuus
Jun 28, 2007
✟34,687.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
the scientific community is all "what can we do next" there is little or no thought into if a thing should be done, if right and wrong are taken into consideration, it is all this vague Enlightenment idea of "right" not a Christian outlook that cares for God at all.
also, there is no need to clone animals, do we need an exact copy of a cow? breeding and even genetic manipulation on livestock can take care of any type of need that would come up

yea I don't understand the "need" to clone cows and such... I agree about the scientific community. There's no fear of God anymore.

Upvote 0

AMDG

Tenderized for Christ
May 24, 2004
Pacific Northwest, United States
✟47,022.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
yea I don't understand the "need" to clone cows and such... I agree about the scientific community.

I'm back to being wrong again. All I can think of is the poor and what a waste all the money, time, and energy is spent on trying to be like God (which I think cloning is) when it could be put to better use trying to actually help them.

And I think the couple who, out of grief, spent mucho bucks to have their dead dog cloned, need counseling (and perhaps to get their priorities straight) instead of publicity.

Furthermore, I feel sorry for the dog. Never to be loved for itself and always to be compared to the previous dog. It's just not right.

Upvote 0

MrJim

Legend 3/17/05
Mar 17, 2005
FEMA Region III
✟42,622.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Im trying to figure out what this thread has to do with Catholicism

Manipulation of creation and man's role in it...fits here as well as anywhere ;)

...and I'll take two house bears, minature grizzlies please~would they still be as ferocious if they're only 12" tall on their hind legs?^_^

Upvote 0

Veritas

1 Lord, 1 Faith, 1 Baptism
Aug 7, 2003
Pacific NW USA
Visit site
✟109,662.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
http://www.cnn.com/2009/LIVING/02/06/cloned.puppy/index.html

I find this a little creepy. Especially the part about the clone's fascination with his original's grave. I wonder if we are messing with something we shouldn't messing with here with this whole cloning thing.

My initial reaction when they cloned Dolly the lamb years ago was excitement and thinking it was cool (I'm a long-time science fiction fan, so I don't have the automatic resistance to this stuff that some folks have). But, now, years later, I just don't know. I think maybe there are more (possibly negative) implications to this than are apparent on the surface.

Does anyone know if the Church has said anything about animal cloning? I know the Church is against human cloning.

Actually, it's not so creepy at all. Similar behavior might be observed if there had been an organ transplant. There are some very strange stories about that too. I'm guessing that our DNA which is encoded into every cell of our bodies also contains the essense of our souls or in the case of dogs, the essense of their being. When a human or animal is cloned or organs transplanted, a part of that beings original essense goes with it. I realize that I'm just speculating here, but the more I read about it, the more I see the imprint of God in genetics. That's why the liberal/atheist types fight Intelligent Design so much. Ultimately, bio-genetics is the study of the origins of life and the conclusions keep leading to God.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.