Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Christianity is not about how you "act". Christianity is following Christ and having a relationship and trust in Him. When you do that, your Christianity shows. It was wrong of the BLM to take his cattle and kill some of them. He saw this for what it was and he prevented it from becoming another Ruby Ridge which it might have if his friends and supporters and the media hadn't shown up. He has a right to protect his cattle, his family and himself. Stealing is wrong and they stole his cattle. Is that the mature way to react if you want someone to pay you money? And what was their purpose in killing many of the cattle?
Is a "mature way to react" getting your well-armed friends to point guns at federal officials trying to do their job? Is that the Christian thing to do?

Americans who stand up for what is right.
But Bundy isn't right :wave:
Ringo

Upvote 0

South Bound

I stand with Israel.
Jan 3, 2014
✟31,159.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Is a "mature way to react" getting your well-armed friends to point guns at federal officials trying to do their job? Is that the Christian thing to do?

First of all, Bundy didn't get "well armed friends". The Bundys repeatedly stated that all firearms were to be left in the owners' vehicles.

Second, yes, coming to the aid of a neighbor is a "Christian way to act".

Upvote 0

Ringo84

Separation of Church and State expert
Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Whatever he supposedly stated, all the militia wingnuts showed up to point guns at federal officials trying to do their job and evict a non-paying squatter.

Doesn't seem too Christ-like to me to point gun at innocents.
Ringo

Upvote 0

South Bound

I stand with Israel.
Jan 3, 2014
✟31,159.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Whatever he supposedly stated, all the militia wingnuts showed up to point guns at federal officials trying to do their job and evict a non-paying squatter.

First of all, you don't get to say "he did" and then, when it's pointed out to you that he did the exact opposite, say "well, whatever he did..." You made a claim and you were wrong.

Second, as has been pointed out to you several times, he did pay and was willing to pay. The issue wasn't unwillingness to pay, but the lack of a mechanism on the part of the state to accept payment.

Third, it still hasn't been demonstrated that the federal government had jurisdiction over that land.

First of all, they weren't innocent. They stole more than 400 head of cattle. In the old days, they would have been hanged for that. Then, not being content to be mere cattle rustlers, they assaulted two innocent people, one of which happened to be a pregnant woman.

Second, why isn't it wrong for federal storm troopers to point weapons at innocents? Why do the Red Coats get a free pass from the left? I thought you guys were the ones who are always telling us how you're the self-proclaimed guardians of civil liberties. Why the double standard?

Upvote 0

Ringo84

Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Second, as has been pointed out to you several times, he did pay and was willing to pay. The issue wasn't unwillingness to pay, but the lack of a mechanism on the part of the state to accept payment.
No he didn't:

WaPo said:
Bundy has repeatedly been fined for grazing his cattle on the protected land, fines he has not paid since 1993.

Everything you need to know about the long fight between Cliven Bundy and the federal government

Moreover, there was never any proof that the issue was over an inability to pay. Bundy always claimed - without proof - that he had an "ancestral claim" to the land in question, and the federal government was intruding on his land.

Unfortunately, a little digging indicated that was incorrect:

KLAS TV said:
Clark County property records show Cliven Bundy's parents bought the 160 acre ranch in 1948 from Raoul and Ruth Leavitt.
Water rights were transferred too, but only to the ranch, not the federally managed land surrounding it. Court records show Bundy family cattle didn't start grazing on that land until 1954.
The Bureau of Land Management was created 1946, the same year Cliven was born.
"My rights are before the BLM even existed, but my rights are created by beneficial use. Beneficial use means we created the forage and the water from the time the very first pioneers come here," Bundy said.
Early census records show Cliven's maternal grandmother, Christena Jensen, was born in Nevada in 1901 (other records show she was born in 1891 as Abigail Christina Abbott).

I-Team: Bundy's 'ancestral rights' come under scrutiny - 8 News NOW

First of all, they weren't innocent. They stole more than 400 head of cattle.
These officials didn't "steal" anything. The government seized the cattle because Bundy was and is a freeloader, grazing his cattle on federal property without paying dues which he owed.

Second, why isn't it wrong for federal storm troopers to point weapons at innocents?
These "federal storm troopers" were doing their job. On the other hand, the militia wingnuts came to Bunkerville in droves, pointed their gun at federal officials, creating a standoff and openly talking about using women and children as human shields if the scenario devolved to violence (Former sheriff willing to let wife, daughters die on front lines of Bundy ranch - Washington Times)

There's no "double standard" - except from the same people who launch into spittle-flying rants about the so-called "entitlement mentality" while defending a rancher with the biggest sense of entitlement of all.
Ringo

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
If you commit a crime and you tell your accomplice not to bring a gun, it's totally his fault if he brings a gun. That defense works great in court. :)

But they're not innocents, they work for the big bad black president who's stolen your country. Get in line and wave your American flag despite not recognizing the federal government!
cookiemonster.gif

Upvote 0

South Bound

I stand with Israel.
Jan 3, 2014
✟31,159.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No he didn't:

Yes, he did. Please note the use of the word "since 1993". That means that he was paying up until 1993. He tried to pay after 1993, but there was no mechanism in place after that that allowed him to pay. He has repeatedly sought a way to pay the state of Nevada, only to be told that there is no such way.

Moreover, there was never any proof that the issue was over an inability to pay.

Actually, there was.

Bundy always claimed - without proof - that he had an "ancestral claim" to the land in question, and the federal government was intruding on his land.

Correct: the federal government. He has always acknowledged the state's jurisdiction and has sought repeatedly to pay them, only to be told that there is no mechanism in place by which to pay them.

[quote[These officials didn't "steal" anything. The government seized the cattle because Bundy was and is a freeloader, grazing his cattle on federal property without paying dues which he owed.[/quote]

First of all, Bundy is not a freeloader. He has sought repeatedly to pay the state of Nevada, only to be told that there is no mechanism in place to pay.

Second, "seizing" without a warrant and in violation of the 4th Amendment is stealing.

These "federal storm troopers" were doing their job.

Yes, that's commonly known as the "Nuremberg Defense" and has never been considered a valid defense.

On the other hand, the militia wingnuts came to Bunkerville in droves, pointed their gun at federal officials

Do you mean the same "federal officials" who had guns pointed at the Bundy family, the cowboys, who stole more than 400 head of cattle, and assaulted two people, one of whom happened to be a pregnant woman?

openly talking about using women and children as human shields if the scenario devolved to violence

Actually, Sheriff Mack has explained several times that that isn't what he said.

There's no "double standard". Bundy and his friends are the aggressors

How are they the aggressors when they were minding their own business and its was the federal government who came to take their property, in violation of the 4th Amendment, and assaulted two people, including a pregnant woman.

You keep talking about "armed wingnuts" and "aggressors" and "rifles pointed", but the fact of the matter remains that the only violence was committed by the federal storm troopers.

Upvote 0

Ringo84

Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yes, he did. Please note the use of the word "since 1993". That means that he was paying up until 1993. He tried to pay after 1993, but there was no mechanism in place after that that allowed him to pay. He has repeatedly sought a way to pay the state of Nevada, only to be told that there is no such way.

Nope. He stopped paying the fees when the government turned the land into a conservation zone for desert tortoises.

Actually, there was.

Which is disputed by KLAS' research into the matter.

Correct: the federal government. He has always acknowledged the state's jurisdiction and has sought repeatedly to pay them, only to be told that there is no mechanism in place by which to pay them.

You keep saying that. It's not supported by any of the reporting I've seen thus far.

First of all, Bundy is not a freeloader.

If you graze cattle on federal land and refuse to pay fees assessed, you're a freeloader.

Second, "seizing" without a warrant and in violation of the 4th Amendment is stealing.

The cattle were seized as payment for the fines that Bundy had refused to pay.

Wikipedia said:
Federal courts have consistently ruled against Bundy, finding that he is a trespasser with no right to graze cattle on federal public land and authorizing the BLM to remove his cattle and levy damages for unauthorized use.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bundy_standoff#cite_note-CourtOrder1998-2
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bundy_standoff#cite_note-CourtOrder1998-2

Bundy standoff - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yes, that's commonly known as the "Nuremberg Defense" and has never been considered a valid defense.

Traveling to Bunkerville and asking a cattle rancher to pay fees that he owes the government does not a Nazi make.

Do you mean the same "federal officials" who had guns pointed at the Bundy family, the cowboys, who stole more than 400 head of cattle, and assaulted two people, one of whom happened to be a pregnant woman?

I see no reporting that confirms that.

Actually, Sheriff Mack has explained several times that that isn't what he said.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZd61_9hofE

He said what he said. Maybe his dim little brain eventually realized "Hey...maybe saying that didn't make my side look too good", but he was on record saying that he was going to deliberately allow women and children to be fired upon if the standoff devolved to that point.

How are they the aggressors when they were minding their own business and its was the federal government who came to take their property, in violation of the 4th Amendment, and assaulted two people, including a pregnant woman.

They were not "minding their own business" but trespassing on federal land and refusing to pay grazing fees. The cattle were seized to pay off the debt Bundy owned for years of trespassing on federal property.

You keep talking about "armed wingnuts" and "aggressors" and "rifles pointed", but the fact of the matter remains that the only violence was committed by the federal storm troopers.

It's not federal officials who had drawn beads on people trying to do their jobs, or trying to use women and children as shields. The more you try to defend Bundy, the more clear it is that you just don't have the facts straight.
Ringo

Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
So last I heard the militia groups had balkanised and were this close to starting to shoot at each other, but that was a few weeks ago. Can someone give me an update on the situation as it stands?

I remain bemused that the people shouting loudest about how heroic the Bundy supporters are the same people who call the loudest for stricter law enforcement in any other case.

Upvote 0

South Bound

I stand with Israel.
Jan 3, 2014
✟31,159.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Nope. He stopped paying the fees when the government turned the land into a conservation zone for desert tortoises.

First of all, thank you for finally being honest enough to admit that he did pay the fees.

Second, you're correct. When the federal government claimed jurisdiction over this land in order to turn it into a conservation zone, the state of Nevada stopped receiving grazing fees for that parcel of land.

Which is disputed by KLAS' research into the matter.

And their research is disputed by research done by numerous other sources, including first hand accounts and interviews with Bundy, Sheriff Mack, and their spokesmen.

You keep saying that. It's not supported by any of the reporting I've seen thus far.

Maybe you're going to the wrong sources for your news.

If you graze cattle on federal land and refuse to pay fees assessed, you're a freeloader.

And if you graze cattle on land the federal government does not have jurisdiction over and is, in fact prohibited from owning by the Enclave Clause of the Constitution, but pay fees to the state and then make a good faith effort to pay, in spite of the fact that the state has no mechanism to accept payment, you're not a freeloader.

The cattle were seized as payment for the fines that Bundy had refused to pay.

First of all, if that's true, that they were seized for payment, why were several heads killed for no reason? How did the government expect to get money out of dead cattle?

Second, why they were seized is irrelevant. It's that the government seized them illegally that is the issue.

You realize Wikipedia isn't a credible source, right?

Traveling to Bunkerville and asking a cattle rancher to pay fees that he owes the government does not a Nazi make.

I agree. But they did not merely "ask". They brought a militarized law enforcement agency, stole his cattle, assaulted his family, all in in violation of the 4th and 10th Amendments.

I see no reporting that confirms that.

Again, look at the sources you're going to for your news.

He said what he said.

Yes, he did say what he said. The problem is that, just as the press did later with Bundy's comments about the plight of blacks, "what he said" was taken out of context and he has explained himself several times.

So forgive me if I give more weigh to his words than to your explanation of his words.

They were not "minding their own business" but trespassing on federal land and refusing to pay grazing fees.

First of all, they weren't trespassing on federal land because the Enclave Clause of the Constitution prevents the federal government from owning that land.

Second, they were paying their grazing fees up until the time the state told them there was no mechanism available for them to pay and, even after that, continued to make a good faith effort to pay.

The cattle were seized to pay off the debt Bundy owned for years of trespassing on federal property.

First of all, if that's true, that they were seized for payment, why were several heads killed for no reason? How did the government expect to get money out of dead cattle?

Second, why they were seized is irrelevant. It's that the government seized them illegally that is the issue.

It's not federal officials who had drawn beads on people trying to do their jobs

Actually, it is. The federal troops were the ones who brought a militarized police force.

And, second, as I pointed out to you before, the Nuremberg Defense is not a valid defense.

or trying to use women and children as shields.

"Shields" against what, exactly?

The more you try to defend Bundy, the more clear it is that you just don't have the facts straight.

...says the guy who gets his facts from Wikipedia.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

South Bound

I stand with Israel.
Jan 3, 2014
✟31,159.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Armoured said:
I remain bemused that the people shouting loudest about how heroic the Bundy supporters are the same people who call the loudest for stricter law enforcement in any other case.

Who, specifically, is calling loudly for more federal intervention, particularly federal intervention against American citizens by a militarized government agency that isn't even supported by the Constitution?

Upvote 0

Armoured

Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Who, specifically, is calling loudly for more federal intervention, particularly federal intervention against American citizens by a militarized government agency that isn't even supported by the Constitution?

Riiiiight. I call cherry picking. Is the agency involved in the Bundy business any less constitutional than, say, the INS? ATF? FBI?

Upvote 0

Armoured

Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
They're all equally Unconstitutional. Now, could you please answer the question?

Um, could you ask it in a less ideological way, please? But if you mean who else in this forum is calling for stricter laws, naming names would be against the forum rules, but I suggest you look in any thread no matter how tangentially it refers to immigration to get some idea.

Upvote 0

South Bound

I stand with Israel.
Jan 3, 2014
✟31,159.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Um, could you ask it in a less ideological way, please? But if you mean who else in this forum is calling for stricter laws, naming names would be against the forum rules, but I suggest you look in any thread no matter how tangentially it refers to immigration to get some idea.

In other words, your statement was false and now you can't back it up.

Also, could you please cite the rule that says you're not allowed to quote other posters?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Armoured

Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
In other words, your statement was false and now you can't back it up.

Which statement is false? I told you how I can back up what I said. I'd link you but doing so would get me reported. Just have a look in any thread about immigration to see what I mean. Of course, my statement didn't ONLY refer to users of this forum.

Upvote 0

South Bound

I stand with Israel.
Jan 3, 2014
✟31,159.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Which statement is false?

You only made one.

I told you how I can back up what I said. I'd link you but doing so would get me reported.

Yeah, I'm still waiting for you to show us that rule that says you can't quote other posters.

Just have a look in any thread about immigration to see what I mean. Of course, my statement didn't ONLY refer to users of this forum.

Which is why I didn't ask you about only users of this forum.

Upvote 0

Armoured

Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
You only made one.

Yeah, I'm still waiting for you to show us that rule that says you can't quote other posters.

Which is why I didn't ask you about only users of this forum.

OK, let's make this really simple. What is your stance on illegal immigration and what your government is doing about it?

Upvote 0

South Bound

I stand with Israel.
Jan 3, 2014
✟31,159.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
OK, let's make this really simple. What is your stance on illegal immigration and what your government is doing about it?

I'm against it Obama should be brought impeached for violating his oath of office.

Now, how is that in any way analogous to the Bundy situation?

Upvote 0

Armoured

Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I'm against it
Right. I suspected as much. Congratulations, you are precisely the type of person I was talking about.
Obama should be brought impeached for violating his oath of office.
I actually agree with you. But in what way do you feel he has violated his oath?
Now, how is that in any way analogous to the Bundy situation?

Um... both LEO organisations Eing the L.

Last edited:
Upvote 0