✟3,333.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
http://biz.gamedaily.com/features.asp?article_id=11221
After Senator Hillary Clinton called upon the FTC to investigate the source of the hidden content in GTA: San Andreas during the "Hot Coffee" scandal, we all knew it would only be a matter of time before she introduced her own legislation proposing to regulate the sale of Mature-rated video games.

bullet.gif
FEPA summary
Here is the full five-part description of Clinton's FEPA:

I. Prohibition on Selling Mature and Adults Only video games to minors

<LI>The centerpiece of this bill is a prohibition against any business for selling or renting a Mature, Adults-Only, or Ratings Pending game to a person who is younger than seventeen. This provision is not aimed at punishing retailers who act in good faith to enforce the Entertainment Software Ratings Board (ESRB) system. That's why retailers would have an affirmative defense if they were shown an identification they believed to be valid or have a system in place to display and enforce the ESRB system. Similar prohibitions have become law in the last several months in California, Michigan, and Illinois.

II. Annual Analysis of the Ratings System
<LI>Since the bill relies on the video game industry to continue rating the appropriateness of games for minors, this bill requires an annual, independent analysis of game ratings. This analysis will help ensure that the ESRB ratings system accurately reflects the content in each game and that the ratings system does not change significantly over time.

III. Authority for the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) to Investigate Misleading Ratings
<LI>Part of the genesis of this bill was the revelation that the makers of Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas had included, through embedded code that was discovered and made accessible to the public, sexually explicit content inconsistent with the game's Mature rating. This bill requires the FTC to conduct an investigation to determine whether what happened with GTA: San Andreas is a pervasive problem. It also includes a Sense of Congress that the Commission shall take appropriate action if it determines that there is a pervasive problem.

IV. Authority to Register Complaints
<LI>This bill requires the Bureau of Consumer Protection (BCP) of the FTC to ensure that consumers can file complaints if they find content to be misleading or deceptive and requires the BCP to report on the number of such complaints to Congress.

V. Annual Retailer Audit
This bill authorizes the FTC to conduct an annual, random audit of retailers - sometimes referred to as a secret shopper survey - to determine how easy it is for young people to purchase Mature and Adults Only video games and report the findings to Congress.

This actually seems like a pretty sensible and non-overreaching law to me. It'll probably still be squashed by the judiciary, but that's OK too.

Mr.Pious

Senior Veteran
Dec 23, 2003
✟17,602.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Others
inconsistent with the game's Mature rating

Come again? I've only played the game a few times, and have only seen screen captures from the 'hot coffe' mod on Too Late with Adam Corolla. but from my experince with it the extreme violence is much worse than pixilated inappropriate content...

Upvote 0

MethodMan

Legend
Site Supporter
Jun 24, 2004
NW Pennsylvania
✟61,785.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
LittlePinky82 said:
So let's see: illgeal wars, poverty, bad enviornment and THIS is what they chose to do? Sad. There are already raitings on games and that's enough. Don't like it? Don't buy it!

Almost as bad as Spector's anti-trust investigation of the NFL for T.O.

Upvote 0

Norseman

EAC Representative
Apr 29, 2004
Currently in China
✟13,677.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Argghhh! I think my brain is going to melt. Ohhhhh, it hurts. Gah! Does... not... compute! Why!? Why I ask you, why?!?! How are people so incredibly stupid and incompetant that killing sprees are better in their POV than nipples? AGHHH!!! Hillary just lost my vote, if she runs. She has just proven she has the moral development of a three year old. "Ewww, cooties!"

Upvote 0

Ampoliros

I'm my own wireless hotspot
May 15, 2004
Mars - IN MY MIND!
✟9,685.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Silly, pointless, and annoying law - and one of the reasons I really don't like Hillary Clinton(as much as I'm sure the Republicans are going to swarm the thread and call me on it for say that :p ). If you wouldn't take your kid to see an R rated movie, don't buy him an M-rated game - its that simple. Rockstar (the makers of GTA) didn't do anything wrong, at all - that they didn't delete the code rather than simply commenting it out was pretty silly of them, sure, but they're not responsible for modification of the game code. It'd be the same as if I deleted parts of the code to some Barbie dress-up type game that made the characters look nude. To sum up:

Basing the rating of a game based on how you can modify it is unreasonable.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MadeInOz

Contributor
Jun 7, 2004
Brisbane
✟20,513.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
AU-Labor
It never ceases to amaze me that we have all this moral prancing about and high ground taking, when there is little empirical or esoteric research on the matter. (sorry, I couldn't think of the other kind of research) Every man and his dog can jump on the bandwagon!

Upvote 0

LittlePinky82

Nov 26, 2005
Tennessee
✟950.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Exactly! Even now when my dad buys me a game or something for my birthday or Christmas he checks it out and see's what it's about even though I'm a legal adult and mature enough to make up my own decisions. Plus, there are reviews online and raitings of game's. If parents are that clueless they don't look at the raiting(s) and check out the game(s) before they buy them than that's their own doing.

Croc said:
I dont think we need to make a law for this. If parents allow their kids to buy M rated games then that is their business.

Upvote 0
M

MJ421

Exactly! Even now when my dad buys me a game or something for my birthday or Christmas he checks it out and see's what it's about even though I'm a legal adult and mature enough to make up my own decisions. Plus, there are reviews online and raitings of game's. If parents are that clueless they don't look at the raiting(s) and check out the game(s) before they buy them than that's their own doing.

Perhaps you should buy them yourself?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

EarthWindFire

Nov 30, 2005
✟213.00
Faith
Catholic
Croc said:
I dont think we need to make a law for this. If parents allow their kids to buy M rated games then that is their business.
I agree comepletely. If parents want their kids playing violent video games, let them. The industry already puts ratings on the game, you don't need the law there. This is where the parenting part comes in. You buy the games since they already aren't supposed to be sold to minors, so it's ultimately your responsibility.

"Oh dearest me, I didn't know the game had hidden code that could only be opened if my son downloaded a third-party patch. And on that patch there is a clothed man simulating sex with a woman? Agghhh!

I wouldn't have bought the game if I knew that. I only buy good wholesome games for my children; games where you can shoot anyone, steal cars, patronize prostitutes and kill them afterwards to get your money back. You can also kill police, perform drive-bys, and let's not forget vehicular manslaughter. Simulated sex is too much for me and my children need protect...wait, no, I need protection to stop me from making obviously stupid purchases for my children."

Upvote 0

xMinionX

Contributor
Dec 2, 2003
✟18,028.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
:doh:

Wow. A little sex and skin gets people all fired up, but hijacking grandma and beating her to death with a baseball bat gets a free pass?

I'd take the whole "Shield our childrens eyes" movement more seriously if it wasn't so silly about where it fights its battles. I find the above example far more harmful to a child than a digital sex scene.

Upvote 0

trunks2k

Contributor
Jan 26, 2004
✟270,241.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
xMinionX said:
I'd take the whole "Shield our childrens eyes" movement more seriously if it wasn't so silly about where it fights its battles. I find the above example far more harmful to a child than a digital sex scene.

Not just a digital sex scene. A digital sex scene that was blocked from the game. A normal player would not have been able to see it. You needed to make a change to files in order to access it.

Upvote 0