interpreter

Mar 4, 2004
Texas
✟7,377.00
Faith
Anglican
COP21 climate change summit reaches deal in Paris

What are people's thoughts?

Personally, I think this is about as much as we could reasonably have hoped for. I have become so jaded, watching these negotiations pan out over the last 2 decades, and the failure of Kyoto and Copenhagen, that any global agreement to keep warming below 2'C feels like a pretty successful outcome.

It is a pity that this agreement is only partially binding, in legal terms, but there was never a chance of more than that. Ultimately, I think this is a step in the right direction, but many more such steps are going to be required in the years ahead.

Also, isn't it nice to have a good news story at the top of the agenda, for once?
I agree. Global warming is last plague # 4, and the plagues are given to the angels to be poured out by the 4th living creature, a flying eagle which represents the US Church and State (see dollar bill). We are the leading cause of the 7 last plagues and they all happen during our watch, so it behooves us to repent and take the lead in bringing the 7 last plagues to an end.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟650,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I agree. Global warming is last plague # 4, and the plagues are given to the angels to be poured out by the 4th living creature, a flying eagle which represents the US Church and State (see dollar bill). We are the leading cause of the 7 last plagues and they all happen during our watch, so it behooves us to repent and take the lead in bringing the 7 last plagues to an end.

If global warming--even as predicted by the most extreme alarmists on the subject--would have to get amped up quite a bit for it to do anything like what is described in Revelation concerning the 4th plague.
Maybe in another 10,000 years or so.

Upvote 0

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,147,795.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
It seems that the only thing "climate instability" (a natural process) does is give about 150 politicians all over the globe a chance to impose a new guilt tax on their citizens. Let's hope that money gets used for something that's actually useful--which doesn't include producing propaganda to make people ask for that tax to increase.
Yes the climate does go through natural processes, as climate scientists are the first to acknowledge. But all the evidence indicates that the mass burning of fossil fuels, the destruction of the environment, mass industrialised agriculture is also leading to greater instability, and the heating of planet earth. The past few years have been the hottest recorded in 200 years of records.

I find it interesting when people allow ideology to Trump reality. The idea that because I hate taxes, like the idea of small government, therefore this big climatic threat that would require governments working together, increase taxes/regulation must be wrong.

Reactions: rambot
Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟365,748.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
I find it interesting when people allow ideology to Trump reality. The idea that because I hate taxes, like the idea of small government, therefore this big climatic threat that would require governments working together, increase taxes/regulation must be wrong.
That's the basic summary of any and every single AGW skeptics I have EVER read.

Upvote 0

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,147,795.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
That's the basic summary of any and every single AGW skeptics I have EVER read.
Yep, though AGW denialist is probably the better term, since if one was truly skeptical one should still be willing to consider the evidence, and change ones opinion accordingly.

Upvote 0

Uncle Siggy

Promulgator of Annoying Tidbits of Information
Dec 4, 2015
Ohio
✟61,528.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Thanks for the information about refridgerants. Not sure how germane they are to the debate that seems to be about the credibility of data of scientists.

I'm not trying to change your mind about Climate Change (you will believe what you want to believe) am just showing you what all is out there about the subject and how some of it contradicts itself...

But I will share a little story on where I first became aware of Climate Change and that it was purported to be Global Cooling...

During my time in Technical School we had a special guest come to our class to give us a small briefing on the current and future effects of refrigerants on our tiny little planet. He started talking about it's effects past and present and mentioned in the future we would probably have to start reclaiming older and present refrigerants and developing new ones to take their place. When we asked him what effect refrigerants were having on our tiny little planet he told us that is was making our climate "cool off"...

Fast forward 10 years I went back to school for a skill level upgrade and guess what, we had another special guest show up. This guy gave us almost the exact same spiel as the first guy except for the major change that he was calling it Global Warming. Needless to say a few of us (that had heard the original spiel) started laughing, our guest asked us what was so funny. So we related our prior experience with this story and how the other guy called it cooling instead of warming. His reaction was to shrug his shoulders and say, "I was just hired to teach this material"... Needless to say we all laughed again and let him finish his presentation...

So as you can see I've been skeptical of this for 25 years and counting...

Upvote 0

Uncle Siggy

Dec 4, 2015
Ohio
✟61,528.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
It seems that the only thing "climate instability" (a natural process) does is give about 150 politicians all over the globe a chance to impose a new guilt tax on their citizens. Let's hope that money gets used for something that's actually useful--which doesn't include producing propaganda to make people ask for that tax to increase.

It will probably be used to pay for their vacations and to buy votes...

Upvote 0

interpreter

Mar 4, 2004
Texas
✟7,377.00
Faith
Anglican
If global warming--even as predicted by the most extreme alarmists on the subject--would have to get amped up quite a bit for it to do anything like what is described in Revelation concerning the 4th plague.
Maybe in another 10,000 years or so.
Scientists say, if nothing is done about global warming, much of the Middle East will soon be too hot for human survival.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟365,748.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
I'm not trying to change your mind about Climate Change (you will believe what you want to believe) am just showing you what all is out there about the subject and how some of it contradicts itself...
problem is uncle Siggy you have done no such thing and the data doesn't contradict itself as per your examples anyways. I am TOTALLY open to changing my mind. Deniers just don't provide sentient, salient arguments very often.

But I will share a little story on where I first became aware of Climate Change and that it was purported to be Global Cooling...

During my time in Technical School we had a special guest come to our class to give us a small briefing on the current and future effects of refrigerants on our tiny little planet. He started talking about it's effects past and present and mentioned in the future we would probably have to start reclaiming older and present refrigerants and developing new ones to take their place. When we asked him what effect refrigerants were having on our tiny little planet he told us that is was making our climate "cool off"...

Fast forward 10 years I went back to school for a skill level upgrade and guess what, we had another special guest show up. This guy gave us almost the exact same spiel as the first guy except for the major change that he was calling it Global Warming. Needless to say a few of us (that had heard the original spiel) started laughing, our guest asked us what was so funny. So we related our prior experience with this story and how the other guy called it cooling instead of warming. His reaction was to shrug his shoulders and say, "I was just hired to teach this material"... Needless to say we all laughed again and let him finish his presentation...

So as you can see I've been skeptical of this for 25 years and counting...
Seriously? Because one guy who gave a presentation didn't know what he was taking about, you felt righteons enough to ignore over 20 years of evidence from people who very much know what they are talking about? And you seem to wear that as a badge of pride?

There's no adjective I can put to that that wouldn't get me a warning from the mods

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,147,795.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
And neither do the believers, only the figures their handlers provide them...
catparanoia.jpg

You need to stop drinking the Kool aid.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟365,748.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
And neither do the believers, only the figures their handlers provide them...
I just destroyed the bunk junky you tried to pass off as a legitimate argument. Now, in typical denier fashion you ignore it. Don't call me a passive participant in regards to the evidence onthis topic. You are listening to liars and are unwilling to pit in the intellectual effort to let go of that.

And yes I fully expect a "I know you are but what a i?" RESPONSE

Upvote 0

Uncle Siggy

Dec 4, 2015
Ohio
✟61,528.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I just destroyed the bunk junky you tried to pass off as a legitimate argument. Now, in typical denier fashion you ignore it. Don't call me a passive participant in regards to the evidence onthis topic. You are listening to liars and are unwilling to pit in the intellectual effort to let go of that.

And yes I fully expect a "I know you are but what a i?" RESPONSE

I guess you don't remember this...

"I'm not trying to change your mind about Climate Change (you will believe what you want to believe) am just showing you what all is out there about the subject and how some of it contradicts itself"...

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟365,748.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
I guess you don't remember this...

"I'm not trying to change your mind about Climate Change (you will believe what you want to believe) am just showing you what all is out there about the subject and how some of it contradicts itself"...
Oh, I rememeber. I addressed the content of your post you have not addressed my arguments (nor actually proven your own, mind you)
The difference between you and me is that I'm not believing "what I want", I'm believing what evidence shows to be true. You have been "believing what you want" for 25 years; I don't suddenly expect you to get swayed by MY evidence but boy oh boy wouldn't it be nice if you could at least support your own terrible evidence.

Reactions: USincognito
Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟870,771.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
What was Churchills quote about people under 40 and over 40???

I'm 47 and accept that anthropogenic global warming. That's because I have a brain and understand the science.

Upvote 0