Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I also have another question. How do Christians pray or make supplications (thats a thing we have in Islam)
Not to in any now be mean, but what do you mean how do we pray? Like how do we address God.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟893,584.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
How do you connect with god?

Like talk to him.
You just talk. You do not even have to talk in the sense of words. God knows THOUGHTS. Sometimes people will say Dear Lord or dear Father because He is the HEAVENLY father.

Reactions: BeStill&Know
Upvote 0

BeStill&Know

Site Supporter
Sep 13, 2015
✟68,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
One thing I have observed is that Christianity revolves around love. Right? That is something I feel makes me love the faith even more. I have even recently seen myself become a more genuine, loving and less selfish person.
Yes Friend, Christianity revolves around love for "God is Love"
1 John 4:8 [Full Chapter]
Anyone who does not love does not know God, because God is love.
Luke 6:35
If you want to be extraordinary-love your enemies! Do good without restraint! Lend with abandon! Don't expect anything in return! Then you'll receive the truly great reward-you will be children of the Most High-for God is kind to the ungrateful and those who are wicked.
In Context " Full Chapter " Other Translations

Upvote 0

BeStill&Know

Site Supporter
Sep 13, 2015
✟68,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Our prayers to God are simply speaking to Him in "Spirit and in Truth"
John 4:23
..... true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and in truth. The Father is looking for those who will worship him that way.
John 4:24
For God is Spirit, so those who worship him must worship in spirit and in truth."

Our Holy Father who did not spare His most beloved only Son, to exchange His Righteousness for our many sins. The Holy Father did everything He could for us to enter His Family. So we speak to Him as the One who has loved and accepted us where ever we are or who we are. Long Prayers, short prayers, it doesn't matter.

Psalm 116:2
My God leaned down (when I was in trouble) and brought His ear close to me. As long as I have breath, I will call on Him. In Context " Full Chapter " Other Translations

Isaiah 59:1
The Eternal One's reach is not so short that He cannot save you. His ear is not so deaf that He cannot hear you.

Be Greatly Blessed as the Lord brings you gently and lovingly into His wisdom, is my prayer for you.

Upvote 0

StrivingforTruth

Nov 29, 2015
Finland
✟15,255.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes Friend, Christianity revolves around love for "God is Love"
1 John 4:8 [Full Chapter]
Anyone who does not love does not know God, because God is love.
Luke 6:35
If you want to be extraordinary-love your enemies! Do good without restraint! Lend with abandon! Don't expect anything in return! Then you'll receive the truly great reward-you will be children of the Most High-for God is kind to the ungrateful and those who are wicked.
I tried to send you a message but the server wont allow me.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟893,584.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I tried to send you a message but the server wont allow me.
Probably because you do not have enough posts. I believe you need 15 or 20 posts and five likes to be able to use the PM system. This is to prevent trolls.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟893,584.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟730,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I also have another question. How do Christians pray or make supplications (thats a thing we have in Islam)

In Christianity we have the archetypal prayer in the Lord's Prayer, also known as the Our Father. In the Gospels Jesus teaches us how to pray by giving us this prayer:

(This version of the Prayer uses archaic, traditional English as found in the 1662 Anglican Book of Common Prayer)

"Our Father, which art in heaven, hallowed be Thy name. Thy kingdom come, thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive them that trespass against us. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. For thine is the kingdom, the power, and the glory, for ever and ever. Amen."

This is the prayer as found in the Gospel of St. Matthew (NRSV translation),

"Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name. Your kingdom come. Your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our debts, as we have forgiven our debtors. And do not bring us to the time of trial, but rescue us from the evil one." - Matthew 6:9-13

In liturgical churches (Catholic, Lutheran, Anglican, Orthodox, etc) during worship we have different sorts of prayers throughout the liturgy. These are formal prayers which form an essential element of traditional Christian worship, for example the Penitential Rite is part of the order of service where the entire congregation publicly confess our sins, such a prayer looks like this:

"Most merciful God, we confess that we are by nature sinful and unclean. We have sinned against you in thought, word, and deed, by what we have done, and by what we have left undone. We have not loved you with our whole heart; we have not loved our neighbors as ourselves. We justly deserve your present and eternal punishment. For the sake of Your Son, Jesus Christ, have mercy on us. Forgive us, renew us, and lead us, so that we may delight in Your will and walk in Your ways to the glory of Your holy name. Amen."

There are prayers of praise such as the Gloria Patri,

"Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit; as it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, forever and ever. Amen."

Further, we also have what are known as the Hours, times of prayer set throughout the day which is inherited from the Jewish practice of set prayers at different times of the day. There are five major hours: Matins (early morning), Lauds (morning), Daytime Prayer, Vespers (evening), and Compline (night). The Hours are a significant component of Christian monasticism, for individual Christians (Catholic, Lutheran, Anglican, etc) praying the Hours can be seen as a good habit for personal discipline, though there's literally no requirement that one has to pray the Hours. Individual prayer is really a matter of discipline and personal responsibility. Each of the Hours has a liturgical structure, though of course it can simply be good discipline to set aside time throughout the day and pray at all.

The point I'm really making is that prayer comes in many different forms and is done in many different ways. Prayers of confession, prayers of praise, prayers of supplication are all part of the Christian practice of prayer. There are set prayers for those who are part of traditional, liturgical traditions, and there are informal, spontaneous prayers.

Many would argue that how we pray is far less important than that we pray. Prayer keeps our mind upon God, prayer can be transformative, it disciplines our mind to focus on the things of God, we can develop habits of turning to prayer both during times of blessing and times of suffering. As we realize that our lives are in God's merciful hands, and all things are according to His good will. We turn away from ourselves and upon Christ for our hope and our salvation, in prayer trusting in Him for our life, both our present life and our future life.

Prayer, it has often been said, is for Christians the same as breathing.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟730,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Can also someone tell me basics and commandments of Christianity :D

Thank you

The Great Commandment is as follows:

"You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind. ... You shall love your neighbor as yourself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets." (Matthew 22:37-40)

Christianity also largely uses the Decalogue or Ten Commandments as an outline of basic Christian ethical teaching. The Decalogue can be found in Exodus 20:1-21, different Christians number the commandments differently, but the content is always the same and there are always 10 because of tradition.

Beyond this getting into the idea of "commandments of Christianity" gets complicated, depending on who you ask. Though largely most Christians will agree that Christianity isn't a religion about rule keeping. Christianity isn't a religion of doing particular things and not doing particular things; for example in Christianity there are no dietary restrictions, there is no dress code. Christianity doesn't have a system of rules dictating how we should dress, or how we should eat, or the various minutia of every day life. Rather there are broad commandments about treating our neighbor right, we are taught by Christ to love our enemies, to bless those that curse us, and to pray for those that persecute us. We are told by St. Paul in his letter to the Romans that if our enemy is hungry to feed them, if our enemy is thirsty to give them drink, if they are naked to clothe them. We are instructed to love unconditionally and impartially.

In Lutheranism the topic of God's Law is very important, because in Lutheranism we have what's known as the Law-Gospel Dialectic; in essence we believe in rightly dividing between Law and Gospel, knowing the difference between what God commands and what that means for us, and what God has promised us sinners in Christ (Gospel) which is freely given. Namely this: It is impossible for we who are sinners to be just or righteous through our own efforts by trying to obey God's commandments, indeed the Law of God will always reveal our shortcomings and our failure to be righteous and that we are, indeed, truly sinners. Which is why our salvation can only be on account of God's grace alone which He gives freely and unconditionally through faith which is also His gift to us. The reason why we should strive to obey God isn't because we can be righteous through our own efforts but because there are people, our neighbors, who are hungry, in need of water and clothing and medicine, there are poor in need of help, people who suffer from injustice in society. Our neighbor needs our good works, they need us to reach out in love and mercy to seek out justice for them so that they might benefit and be uplifted. That's why we strive to obey God's law, not because it grants us bonus points with God or merits us anything with God.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

dcalling

Jan 31, 2014
✟107,345.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Can also someone tell me basics and commandments of Christianity :D

Thank you
Via already did a great job,
"You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind. ... You shall love your neighbor as yourself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets." (Matthew 22:37-40)
This is the most important, anything you did as long as it is based on this, is good.

This explains how much you should love:
"You have heard that it was said, 'YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR and hate your enemy.' 44"But I say to you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, Matt 5:44

Forgive others (For if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. Matt 6:14)

Do not judge ("Do not judge, or you too will be judged. Matt 7:1)

No idol worshiping, no murdering, no stealing, no adultery, the normal commandments from OT.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Job8

Dec 1, 2014
✟21,583.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Christians pray in the same way as children address their earthly fathers. To see the range of prayers offered to God, study the book of Psalms. They are essentially prayers.

Upvote 0