Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
The pastor may have some work to do.

"
A church member tapped Braxton on the shoulder to tell him the seats he was in were reserved.

Another couple put down two Bibles to save their spots before walking away.

Braxton replied to the tap by saying: 'Don't ****** touch me!' according to court documents.

Kevin Steele said Storms approached Braxton, showed his carry permit and asked him to leave.

He added that Braxton punched Storms, who then fired two shots.
"

Who knew pew rage was a thing?

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟489,034.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
I think that modern churches should be built with a light MG set into the altar, and with good firing lines afforded to the pastor or priest.

The MG can be loaded with gel bullets for more moderate churches, of course.

Reactions: Locutus
Upvote 0

Chris B

Old Newbie
Feb 15, 2015
UK
✟12,424.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I think that modern churches should be built with a light MG set into the altar, and with good firing lines afforded to the pastor or priest.

The MG can be loaded with gel bullets for more moderate churches, of course.

Don Camillo and Peppone have several conversations concerning a missing machine gun, and there is advice given that when "the glorious day of the revolution" comes, Peppone would do well to steer clear of the vestry.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Yes, you're right! I'm not Gandalf!
Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,126,163.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So let me see if I got this straight..
Idiot number 1 steals someone's saved seat and then punches the person who confronts him about it.
Idiot number 2 shoots idiot number 1.

I don't see a problem with this.. Idiot 1 is dead, idiot 2 is going to prison. The world has two less violent idiots to worry about.

How compassionate and socially insightful of you to articulate the matter in the way that you have. (NOT!)

Your apathetic blurb should read at least like this:

Young, angry black man sits, perhaps unknowingly, in seats that had already been chosen by two white parishioners, who happened to have vacated the seats. The last person to confront and further aggravate this young black man about his choice of seating happened to be a bold, white guy with a gun carrier's license. The young black man punched the white guy who held the gun, and the white guy drew and pulled the trigger, somehow thinking that such action was a proper Christian response to having being punched.

You don't see a problem with this?

I do see a problem with this. A big one. So would Jesus.

2PhiloVoid

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
How compassionate and socially insightful of you to articulate the matter in the way that you have. (NOT!)

Your apathetic blurb should read at least like this:

Young, angry black man sits, perhaps unknowingly, in seats that had already been chosen by two white parishioners, who happened to have vacated the seats. The last person to confront and further aggravate this young black man about his choice of seating happened to be a bold, white guy with a gun carrier's license. The young black man punched the white guy who held the gun, and the white guy drew and pulled the trigger, somehow thinking that such action was a proper Christian response to having being punched.

I do see a problem with this. A big one. So would Jesus.

2PhiloVoid
Interesting interpretation that while the black guy was "angry," the white guy was just "bold."

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,126,163.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Interesting interpretation that while the black guy was "angry," the white guy was just "bold."

Would you like me to edit it and replace the respective terms? ;) The young black man did seem angry, but I can replace my descriptor with "irritated." Likewise, I can replace the term I used for the white guy with "audacious." Would that help with the meaning, Hetta? :cool:

Here's another report on the same incident:
http://www.christianpost.com/news/man-killed-inside-pennsylvania-church-brawl-sunday-service-163026/

2PhiloVoid

Reactions: HannahT
Upvote 0

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Would you like me to edit it and replace the respective terms? ;) The young black man did seem angry, but I can replace my descriptor with "irritated." Likewise, I can replace the term I used for the white guy with "audacious." Would that help with the meaning, Hetta? :cool:

2PhiloVoid
It would maintain the script you have running for yourself, and it is the script that I am noting.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,126,163.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It would maintain the script you have running for yourself, and it is the script that I am noting.

Ok. That's fine. I'm also always open to suggestions for better interpretation, Hetta.

The reason I articulated my post the way I did, noting the young black man as having been "angry," was to press home the point that if someone comes into our church service upset, even clearly highly agitated, we should do our best to be welcoming and helpful to that person and not assume ill will on their part from the start.

Moreover, for me, "boldness" is not a positive Christian trait, and expressions of "boldness" towards those outside the Church are not necessarily indicative of proper Christian behavior. Somehow, in our country, we think it is.

I think the pastor tried to mediate with the young man, but then the white guy intruded into, and needlessly escalated, the situation.

By the way, do we know if the young black man was a first time visitor?

2PhiloVoid

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Ok. That's fine. I'm also always open to suggestions for better interpretation, Hetta.

The reason I articulated my post the way I did, noting the young black man as having been "angry," was to press home the point that if someone comes into our church service upset, even clearly highly agitated, we should do our best to be welcoming and helpful to that person and not assume ill will on their part from the start.

I think the pastor tried to mediate with Braxton, but then Storms intruded into, and needlessly escalated, the situation.

By the way, do we know if Braxton was a first time visitor?

2PhiloVoid
So, rather than "bold" or "audacious" - both words relating to brave and forthright action - why is the white man not also tagged with a negative word such as "angry" or perhaps even "evil." Because it is evil to shoot another person dead, although I'm sure it will turn out he was just "standing his ground." SMH.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,126,163.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So, rather than "bold" or "audacious" - both words relating to brave and forthright action - why is the white man not also tagged with a negative word such as "angry" or perhaps even "evil." Because it is evil to shoot another person dead, although I'm sure it will turn out he was just "standing his ground." SMH.

I edited my previous post.

To me, "boldness" can be a negative term, depending on the context. In this case, it was meant to be negative, as in "immodest or impudent."

The behavior of both men was "evil." But evil is so general a term that I think it fails to capture the degree of turpitude involved by any individual so inclined. Being "angry" is, to me, less of an evil than the combination of "boldness and killing."

2PhiloVoid

Upvote 0

grandvizier1006

Seeking a life that honors God.
Supporter
Dec 2, 2014
MS
✟663,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Only in America.
Correction. Only in the south. I don't know why so many rednecks where I live want guns in church. If there's a problem with shooters than just hire some security guards who are authorized to carry a gun. No redneck vigilantes required.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Correction. Only in the south. I don't know why so many rednecks where I live want guns in church. If there's a problem with shooters than just hire some security guards who are authorized to carry a gun. No redneck vigilantes required.

I guess some feel, a gun goes along well with their bible.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,099,338.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
By the way, do we know if the young black man was a first time visitor?
Seeing that Richard Braxton's funeral is being held at the same church where he was killed, it appears that his family were members of that church.
What I haven't seen is if the shooter was a member of that church.
I think the pastor tried to mediate with the young man, but then the white guy intruded into, and needlessly escalated, the situation.
I don't see anywhere in the article where anyone tried to intervene?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hank77

Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,099,338.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I wouldn't describe PA as the south. They were not part of the Confederate states and are not geographically a southern state.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,126,163.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Seeing that Richard Braxton's funeral is being held at the same church where he was killed, it appears that his family were members of that church.
What I haven't seen is if the shooter was a member of that church.

I don't see anywhere in the article where anyone tried to intervene?

Yes, you're right. It looks like the testimonies indicate an usher or associate pastor addressed the young man first, then the guy with the gun entered the situation. The pastor wasn't involved, as far as I can tell.

Thanks for that edit, Hank.

Upvote 0

Murby

Feb 4, 2016
USA
✟4,630.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Considering the historical precedent for highly selective Christian compassion, and the ongoing current events, your statement here doesn't hold much weight.

Yes.. I do see a problem with it.. I put your first mistake in bold. Categorizing the person in such manner is a whopper.

Both were idiots.. neither should be roaming our streets.. I don't care what color they are. Mission accomplished.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟728,226.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
The only way to stop a bad churchgoer with a gun is with a good church goer with gun.

But seriously, who reserves seats in church??

I guess I should consider it fortunate that my church rarely has more than a dozen or so people show up on any given Sunday. Finding a pew spot is pretty easy when you can seat like 75 and only 12 to 15 show up.

Perhaps we should adopt the Eastern practice and do away with seating altogether.

Or, I suppose the alternative might be to, you know, if we're not going to act like the Lord said we should, at least act like a basic civilized human being and not carry a gun to church or fight over a bench. But I guess that's just crazy talk.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,126,163.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Considering the historical precedent for highly selective Christian compassion, and the ongoing current events, your statement here doesn't hold much weight.

Yes.. I do see a problem with it.. I put your first mistake in bold. Categorizing the person in such manner is a whopper.

Both were idiots.. neither should be roaming our streets.. I don't care what color they are. Mission accomplished.

Did you happen to read any of the July/August 2015 issue of The Humanist?

http://thehumanist.com/magazine/july-august-2015/

Last edited:
Upvote 0