Opposed to Untruth.
Apr 26, 2010
New Zealand
✟7,997.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Look for people who are supportive and loving. I'm an independent Christian who can walk into every church of Christ and resonate with them in the Holy Spirit. I think it's most important that you feel comfortable being friends with them, that there is no personality clash but rather they are helpful and supportive and dedicated to your spiritual growth. Make sure their message rests well with your heart - if you have doubts about the authenticity of their message, discuss it rather than reject it. Growth is a mutual process requiring input from all who possess the spirit of Christ. Most of all, you have to enjoy your fellowship and feel as though you belong with them and are 'on the same page' in order to feel supported rather than judged.

Reactions: Dan7
Upvote 0

Dan7

May 12, 2010
✟15,141.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Make sure their message rests well with your heart - if you have doubts about the authenticity of their message, discuss it rather than reject it. Growth is a mutual process requiring input from all who possess the spirit of Christ.

Interesting! :amen: I was under the assumption that it is better to leave and not bother than to discuss things. Why bother when you know there is the difference? That is what I guess is the logical conclusion to my thinking.

I like this idea and am going to run with it. It sounds more... beneficial and helpful than merely turning around. Where is the fellowship in that?

Thanks for your response.

Upvote 0

salida

Veteran
Jun 14, 2006
✟6,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
People who have the love of God in their heart; who are serious about God-who live it not just say words. Will call and visit those who are sick, the elderly and/or help the disabled. Help the community. That the pastor protects the church from heretics.

Avoid a church that is just a christian country club-people who go for social reasons only and are clueless about the bible.

If they don't portray Christ, but just the culture its a useless church. A church needs to take a stand and effect the culture. Some churches let bad things of the culture infest them and the church becomes ineffective and brainwashed. So, they become social clubs only.

The church is suppose to be a light on a hill to the culture not the other way around.

Upvote 0

heymikey80

Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum viditur
Dec 18, 2005
✟34,309.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
When going church shopping, what should I be looking for? :confused:
A huge produce aisle. :p

Seriously -- find one that will help you connect its instructions with Scripture, and verify what they teach with Scripture, and press on you some steps -- small steps are fine -- that will let you grow in your actions as well as your words and learning as a Christian.

Of course you shouldn't find one that's constantly berating you, but one which motivates you positively to engage in Christian life.

Upvote 0