Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How could a sect assert they are the "Church of God" if not all Christians are associated with it? In the Bible the Church of God is what God calls all true "born again" believers in the world! One should be quite sure the Christian fellowship they are associating with embraces "all the counsel of God" and is "rightly dividing the Word of Truth", as God tells us.

Upvote 0

actionsub

Sir, this is a Wendy's...
Jun 20, 2004
Belleville, IL
✟57,546.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
How could a sect assert they are the "Church of God" if not all Christians are associated with it? In the Bible the Church of God is what God calls all true "born again" believers in the world!

While the Anderson Church of God is a sectarian movement, they do agree with you that the Church of God encompasses all born again believers. As such, they do not keep formal membership rolls, believing that a believer is already a "member", whether or not they worship with a Church of God congregation.

NOTE: This is different from the Cleveland, TN based Pentecostal group called Church of God.

Upvote 0

JesusFo11ower

I love God.
Mar 20, 2014
✟7,897.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
No I do not, however I have been through Anderson a number of times, and it is big in Central Indiana. Is not Anderson University, COG?
Yes it is. It's actually the college I wish I could go to one day for my Pastoral studies.

How could a sect assert they are the "Church of God" if not all Christians are associated with it? In the Bible the Church of God is what God calls all true "born again" believers in the world! One should be quite sure the Christian fellowship they are associating with embraces "all the counsel of God" and is "rightly dividing the Word of Truth", as God tells us.
I think that non-denom people can take it a little too far. There is a reason there are denominations and that is so that people can enjoy their style of worship and their viewpoint on the bible without having to go to 1000000 churches to find the right one for them.

Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Therein is the problem, and it is not about finding a place to please self. It is divisive of the "one body of Christ" by forming sects. I know real Christians are trying to maintain a right way, but it is not found in Sectarianism ---it is not God's way, and saints of God are called to "all the counsel of God", not just that which is "so that people can enjoy their style of worship and their viewpoint", etc.

If we digress from Bible-only to have a religion that interprets Holy Scripture to suit self, we will become a sect. I recommend a serious seeker visit the site at biblecounsel.net to see something of what God intends for His testimony. I have appreciated that, since it does not go off to please the flesh. Look up always!

Upvote 0

JesusFo11ower

I love God.
Mar 20, 2014
✟7,897.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Therein is the problem, and it is not about finding a place to please self. It is divisive of the "one body of Christ" by forming sects. I know real Christians are trying to maintain a right way, but it is not found in Sectarianism ---it is not God's way, and saints of God are called to "all the counsel of God", not just that which is "so that people can enjoy their style of worship and their viewpoint", etc.

If we digress from Bible-only to have a religion that interprets Holy Scripture to suit self, we will become a sect. I recommend a serious seeker visit the site at biblecounsel.net to see something of what God intends for His testimony. I have appreciated that, since it does not go off to please the flesh. Look up always!
Yeah right like all denominations are wrong just because they are separate from others. God knew that there would be division and calling all denominational churches wrong because of it is stupid. I have only ever found one non-denominational church (besides CoG) that I like for my worship style and way I view God.

Upvote 0

graceandpeace

Episcopalian
Sep 12, 2013
✟22,175.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Do any of you go to the Church of God? I live in Anderson, Indiana where it's headquarters are and I attend one here. I'm not sure how widespread they are but I know they are very Evangelical and there are still some in other states and areas.

I am a former CoG Anderson member, in Virginia.

My experience was that the church is definitely evangelical & conservative. While they are Methodist oriented, they tend to regard themselves in a non-denominational manner. The church I attended was "contemporary." Baptism & communion were strictly treated as symbols, which is one of various reasons I ultimately decided to leave. I treasure the friendships & experiences I had over the years, but I am at greater peace in the Episcopal church.

Upvote 0

JesusFo11ower

I love God.
Mar 20, 2014
✟7,897.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I wouldn't feel comfortable in a strict church like Catholic or Episcopal because they don't even let you worship in your own style like other churches do. I like to raise my hands and sing aloud if I want to. Other than that, I am okay with Episcopal churches.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

graceandpeace

Episcopalian
Sep 12, 2013
✟22,175.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I wouldn't feel comfortable in a strict church like Catholic or Episcopal because they don't even let you worship in your own style like other churches do. I like to raise my hands and sing aloud if I want to. Other than that, I am okay with Episcopal churches.

Well, the Episcopal church is typically traditional with liturgy, though some congregations do offer a "contemporary" service. There is definitely plenty of singing from the hymnal, sometimes a songbook, too. I haven't noticed any "hand raising," but that doesn't mean it's "not allowed" - however, it may be out of place in a traditional service. The liturgy is joyful yet contemplative, & there are already corporate physical responses, such as crossing one's self, bowing, etc.

Upvote 0

lilredmom

Nov 9, 2010
✟7,681.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was raised in Chog in Michigan (Anderson) and now attend one as an adult. They are governed by their local congregation, not an organization, per se, but they are still expected to stick with Chog beliefs (though many would hesitate to call it "doctrine" - which it still is). That info can be found at their website.

Upvote 0

GoingByzantine

Seeking the Narrow Road
Site Supporter
Jun 19, 2013
✟92,845.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

Well there is the Charismatic Catholic Renewal, Catholic Charismatic Renewal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

I will say that Anderson University is a really pretty campus, truly has that "college feel". I wish you well in your Pastoral Studies, may the Holy Spirit guide you to your calling! :)

Upvote 0