Church Advice

Soverinth

Nov 14, 2012
✟16,158.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I go to a LCMS church...not in Ohio but I would hope that they have a liturgical service for you to attend?

We have a Lutheran forum here on the Christian Forums if you would like to visit and ask some questions. There are pastors in that forum who can answer some of the very complicated questions too :)

Here is the link.

Thanks for the link :)

Whats your church like?

Upvote 0

Soverinth

Nov 14, 2012
✟16,158.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You didn't list it, and you seem to be Protestant, but St. Nicholas Orthodox, (the one on the lake further north rather than the building a mile south of it), seems to be jam packed with 17-19 year olds according to the pictures on their website.

But from what you listed, only since you asked, I would say a Lutheran Church.

Could you tell me which one you are talking about with the lot of younger people in it?

Upvote 0

LilLamb219

The Lamb is gone
Site Supporter
Jun 2, 2005
Visit site
✟83,596.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Thanks for the link :)

Whats your church like?

My church is Christ-centered.

We follow a liturgy...click here to read about a liturgical service and how it's scripture filled.

The pastor's sermon contains both Law and Gospel properly distinguished. The hymns aren't fluff but scripture filled!

The LCMS practices close(d) communion which means that if you don't share our beliefs concerning the Real Presence in the Lord's Supper that you are asked to refrain from partaking for the sake of your spiritual health.

Upvote 0

decent orange

Oct 23, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
✟7,892.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Could you tell me which one you are talking about with the lot of younger people in it?

Saint Nicholas Orthodox Church - Home

I didn't look at all the photos, but under the 'photo gallery' section, there are photos of a lot of teens volunteering and participating in various community and church events.

Upvote 0

Soverinth

Nov 14, 2012
✟16,158.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Saint Nicholas Orthodox Church - Home

I didn't look at all the photos, but under the 'photo gallery' section, there are photos of a lot of teens volunteering and participating in various community and church events.

Oh that one. Yeah i don't know, those guys involve a lot of old tradition. I don't have any dress clothes lol. I'm sure they have some kind of requirement for me to join. Its a thought but im gonna try the Peace Lutheran one.

Upvote 0

Soverinth

Nov 14, 2012
✟16,158.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

We follow a liturgy...click here to read about a liturgical service and how it's scripture filled.

The pastor's sermon contains both Law and Gospel properly distinguished. The hymns aren't fluff but scripture filled!

The LCMS practices close(d) communion which means that if you don't share our beliefs concerning the Real Presence in the Lord's Supper that you are asked to refrain from partaking for the sake of your spiritual health.

Im a little confused by that link. Is that whole list a collection of one whole service every Sunday? It seems like a lot. Also when i got to the "Confession of sins" It bugged me. Does that mean you go up and confess your sins to everyone or something? Im not exactly liking that idea. I dont know it just bugs me. I am perfectly okay with confessing my sins to God, but to people, ehh i dont know. I think it may just be my fear of public speaking. Hard to say.

Upvote 0

LilLamb219

The Lamb is gone
Site Supporter
Jun 2, 2005
Visit site
✟83,596.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Im a little confused by that link. Is that whole list a collection of one whole service every Sunday? It seems like a lot. Also when i got to the "Confession of sins" It bugged me. Does that mean you go up and confess your sins to everyone or something? Im not exactly liking that idea. I dont know it just bugs me. I am perfectly okay with confessing my sins to God, but to people, ehh i dont know. I think it may just be my fear of public speaking. Hard to say.

Yes, that is the usual church service layout with the explanations given. As you can see, it's taken from scripture.

The Confession of sins is written out and spoken from the hymnal all together and then the pastor in the stead of Christ give the absolution. You can click here and see what one of the services in our hymnal looks like. Go to Page 27 of the link.

Upvote 0

Soverinth

Nov 14, 2012
✟16,158.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yes, that is the usual church service layout with the explanations given. As you can see, it's taken from scripture.

The Confession of sins is written out and spoken from the hymnal all together and then the pastor in the stead of Christ give the absolution. You can click here and see what one of the services in our hymnal looks like. Go to Page 27 of the link.

How does the individual confession work. For some reason i have this thought in my head that i have to get up in front of the whole church and do what that book you posted says. I don't know it sounds like it could be embarrassing. What if someone wants to confess masturbation or something else really personal, surely no one wants to admittedly confess that in front of a bunch of people, that's a personal thing, i can understand confessing it to just the pastor but in front of like 30 people? So my question remains, how does the Individual confession thing work?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Girder of Loins

Future Math Teacher
Dec 5, 2010
United States of America
✟18,961.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Wow, I want to go to one of these! Sounds fun!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Girder of Loins

Future Math Teacher
Dec 5, 2010
United States of America
✟18,961.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Trust me, the worse you sing, the more you'll fit in. Few people that attend church can carry a tune, but no one will judge you! ;) And the atmosphere is another big thing when choosing a church. If they don't want to have fellowship with you, then how are you to have fellowship with them? You have a lot of options, so go look for one. No doubt that at least one church will have a friendly and open atmosphere. And churches are full of people from every walk of life. Christianity is not a cookie-cutter religion.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,308.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single

Pretty much all churches do these things. Lutheran churches are called liturgical because they are a bit more formal: there are more pre-written prayers, the priest will probably wear vestments (but not the congregation -- you don't need a suit, though I'd wear a shirt with collar and long pants the first time), it's generally a more formal style. But all church services have the same basic parts, they're just done differently.

Confession means everyone says a pre-written prayer of confession together. It doesn't included anything embarrassing. Only for Catholics (and Orthodox?) is individual confession required, and that's in private with a priest. Lutherans allow it but don't require it. Again, in private.

Don't worry about the songs. If you don't want to sing, just open the hymn book and read the words to yourself. In general if you don't want to do any part of the service you don't have to.

I believe LCMS has closed communion, so if there is communion you shouldn't take the bread and wine. (Even in churches with open communion you shouldn't do it unless you consider yourself a Christian, and in a lot of churches you technically have to be baptized to take communion).

People have different reactions to liturgy. I prefer the formal liturgy. Generally the prayers are better than the ones people do extemporaneously, and it's often easier to feel God's presence with a good liturgy. It may take a few times before you know it well enough that just following the service no longer takes your attention and you can relax and worship God.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Soverinth

Nov 14, 2012
✟16,158.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Well i think i might just go to a substitute church tomorrow or just wait till next Sunday, i haven't gotten an email back from that Lutheran pastor i emailed earlier.

Don't want to just show up to the church without having contacted the church beforehand. There are two others i could go to as i have emailed there pastors in the past. These are the Assemblies of God and Charon Christian Fellowship

Last edited:
Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,308.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Well i think i might just go to a substitute church tomorrow or just wait till next Sunday, i haven't gotten an email back from that Lutheran pastor i emailed earlier.

Don't want to just show up to the church without having contacted the church beforehand. There are two others i could go to as i have emailed there pastors in the past. These are the Assemblies of God and Charon Christian Fellowship

Why not? They're not going to do anything weird, and churches expect people to drop by. I'm pretty sure the LCMS don't practice human sacrifice or have orgies.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AndrewK9

Sep 15, 2012
Planet Earth
✟15,677.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

Perhaps you could try attending services at a different church each Sunday and then see which ones actually help you out.

Upvote 0

oi_antz

Opposed to Untruth.
Apr 26, 2010
New Zealand
✟7,997.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Shop around Armizer, churches are collections of people and everyone is unique, that makes every church unique. Most of all you need to find a reliable source of teaching. You may even find that on TV. We have two Christian TV channels in NZ and I like watching them. There's even a lot on YouTube, here, take a look at this one:

12. Millennium of Prophecy: Resting the Land (Complete) BMME - YouTube

Upvote 0

AndrewK9

Sep 15, 2012
Planet Earth
✟15,677.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Hmm... maybe i'm not cut out for Church. I'm not a singer, more so i don't really like singing, never have. Just a lot of things i am nervous about. This is all so new to me its nerve racking lol. What if i don't fit in?(I've never had to ask that before o_O)

There's no reason to fear walking into a church. As far as the singing goes, at my church I sometimes sing if the song is familiar but mostly I just try to close my eyes, bow my head and listen to the lyrics. Don't be afraid to talk to one of their pastors either.

Upvote 0