Dismiss Notice

Welcome to Christian Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
  • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
  • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting after you have posted 20 posts and have received 5 likes.
  • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chronic pain/illness' and depression seem to go hand in hand

Discussion in 'Chronic Pain & Arthritis' started by pumanator, Feb 26, 2006.

1. Fangtastic

Fangtastic plays with logs

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Republican
    Faith:
    Catholic
    I am the Tai Chi king now.Just call me grasshopper...
    ya know,Kung Fu:idea: nm

2. SquareC

SquareC Blessed Be!

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Pagan
    Yes, they do seem to go hand-in-hand....one website I went to on Fibromyalgia summed it up pretty well.

"If you were in pain every moment of every day and knew it was going to continue.....wouldn't you be depressed?"

3. Fangtastic

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Republican
    Faith:
    Catholic
  4. Fangtastic

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Republican
    Faith:
    Catholic
    I'm able to post again under my original nickname which is cool. I just want to keep this post area going. pain free comes from taking control of it. Using the natural healing from new age chiropractic. I was using enough Vicoden to stop my heart and that's gone. Yoga and some natural herbs;Diaplex & Min-Chex are key to my getting past pain.

5. TealTuesday

TealTuesday dainty but fierce

Marital Status:
    Private
    Faith:
    Catholic
    ok grasshopppperrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

6. pumanator

pumanator Veteran

Marital Status:
    Private
    Politics:
    US-Republican
    Faith:
    Non-Denominational
    Not everything can be fixed by chiropractic...4 yrs of it only to find out that because my back is permanently broken I could have ended up with a severed spine and in a wheel chair. I hate pain meds but its part of my life and no matter how much pt or stretching I do stuff thats broke like my back shoulders and knees where there is actual damage there is no other releif.

7. Brother Jason

Brother Jason KJV (King Jesus Version)

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Constitution
    Faith:
    Non-Denominational
    Lol, I went to the chiopractor 3 trips I think, he was honest enough to say I can't help ya. At least he saved me some money!

8. pumanator

pumanator Veteran

Marital Status:
    Private
    Politics:
    US-Republican
    Faith:
    Non-Denominational
    That IS truly amazing...'cause they like to milk ya for all it's worth as far as I can tell.

9. Brother Jason

Brother Jason KJV (King Jesus Version)

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Constitution
    Faith:
    Non-Denominational
    Lol, yeah, that's for sure but he was an honest Dr.

10. forgivenWretch

forgivenWretch Veteran

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Baptist
    So true....yet so sad! I cannot figure out which is worse. It is a never ending battle. Thank God He holds us in His hands, otherwise I would have called it quits long ago.

11. pumanator

pumanator Veteran

Marital Status:
    Private
    Politics:
    US-Republican
    Faith:
    Non-Denominational
    I totally understand that...I have learned the hard way that I can only look to Him and not the church.

12. 1Newcreation

1Newcreation Veteran

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Seeker
    I have wanted to call it quits and know I cannot. God is the only reason why I am still here.
    I try not to think about the future because to me just one day at a time is a struggle. I could live another 40 plus years, and this scares me and is not a happy prospect.
    I do keep my eyes on the Lord, I have to, and I try to see the blessings and I can delight my soul in Him at times, it's not everyday. It's such a challenge.

I feel like that I am walking in quicksand sometimes, you know? It's such a struggle.

:wave:

13. pumanator

pumanator Veteran

Marital Status:
    Private
    Politics:
    US-Republican
    Faith:
    Non-Denominational
    All too well. I dread the future to even though He has promised us a hope and a future. I am watching my mom slip away and she is totally dependent on her caregivers.

14. I'ddie4him2

I'ddie4him2 Prince of Id, Matt's dad, Tatted saint, Got ink ??

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Republican
    Faith:
    Non-Denominational
    Time for me to be honest here as well.
    Reading thru this thread, Each and every post hit me like deja vu'.

I'll even be so bold as to say that self pity controlled me and that I rarely considered that others were going thru the same and worse than I was.

Over 5 years I have been thru the same roller coaster of emotions and deep dispair all the time thinking, "God, I don't want to live like this." Mind you this is not me considering ending it myself, but asking God to take me and end this pain and suffering.

Just 6 months ago I had a permanent morphine infusion pump implanted in my belly. Basicly the pump delivers a constant dose of pain meds directly to the affected area in a dose that is 1/300th of what would be taken by mouth. I have been able to enjoy walking again, about a 75% decrease in pain levels, being able to function halfway normally, taking showers standing up rather than sitting on a bench, etc.

This device has been an absolute godsend after trying every type and method of pain management known to Dr's for the past 5 years and each one failing or only working about half the time.

I have begun to enjoy life again instead of dreading going to the store and coming home wiped out from walking for 15 minutes. Dreading using my cane and having to wrap my wrist due to the strains out in it.

I have come full circle to the same point puma did, Accepting the pain and suffering and rejoicing that Christ went thru worse for us, WILLINGLY, so we could have eternal life and perfect bodies when we get to heaven.

15. woodybabe

woodybabe New Member

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Christian
    I am lifted just to know that there are others out there like me. 3.5 years now. People do not understand chronic pain.

16. woodybabe

woodybabe New Member

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Christian
    I have had some great Christian couseling. The depression is better. Nothing changes the pain. People question your integrity. I do not know how someone gets through this kind of condition without Christ.

17. pumanator

pumanator Veteran

Marital Status:
    Private
    Politics:
    US-Republican
    Faith:
    Non-Denominational
    It amazes me how many in the church are so clueless and careless when it comes to this...really sad.

I had to do yard work all weekend as a tree was half way down and I had to cut it...Im a wreck and may not go to work tomorrow...there is no asking for help and so I work to the very edge of what I can stand and then quite...nothing else for it and I am learning to accept it.

18. ShainaBrina

ShainaBrina The joy of the Lord is my strength

Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Christian
    I haven't been able to work for years. I miss working and feeling useful. Since the more I do the more it hurts...I'm very limited to what I can do at home too. I suspect I'm more bored and lonely than depressed. And Frustrated! I get so frustrated that I can't do what I want to do. It feels like I'm wasting my life.

19. pumanator

pumanator Veteran

Marital Status:
    Private
    Politics:
    US-Republican
    Faith:
    Non-Denominational
    Intercessor...you can pray for those on these forums as the pray threads are always full....how great will your reward be in heaven if you take this on.

As to work...thing about selling something on ebay you know and like even if you only make a little it can be fun and challenging.

I understand about frustration. My house is falling apart and I have been helping my folks with things I have not done in years at my house....and I pay dearly.

20. lucypevensie

lucypevensie Not drinking the kool-aid

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Republican
    Faith:
    Baptist
    Mind if I join you guys here? I have been needing someone to relate to regarding my chronic pain. People don't understand it. I don't look like I'm in agony so why not assume I'm feeling fine? I'd probably think the same thing if I saw myself walking down the street.

I have been struggling with a bad flare of rheumatoid arthritis for some time now. Just started on leflunomide 2 weeks ago and waiting to see if that works any miracles. Sometimes it doesn't work I guess. It takes about 6 weeks to notice anything.

This morning I was putting on a pair of socks and it hurt so bad I had to start cryin'. That's depressing - when putting on your socks hurts that much.