Christmas: is it a happy time, sad time or stressful ?

Nov 19, 2011
✟7,612.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Christmas is about the birth of a Savior, what more joyful time could there be, and yet this Christmas I am overcome with grief at having to spend it without my soulmate of 33 years.
My husband died of lung cancer in August and I am finding that with the coming of Thanksgiving and Christmas I am becoming even more lonley and depressed.
If there is anyone on this forum that has already gone through the process and come out on the other side please give me some hopeful advice.

Upvote 0

pappastratos

May 10, 2011
Alabama,,,very close to paradise !
✟15,616.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
confused, I am so sorry to hear about your loss. I know the holidays are tough. Please try to spend some time with your family & close friends. Don't feel pressured to do something you do not want to do. Everything will remind you of your husband, that is OK, you do not need to forget him, BUT remember the good times.

Reactions: angelwind
Upvote 0

nChrist

AKA: Tom - Saved By Grace Through Faith
Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Christmas is about the birth of a Savior, what more joyful time could there be, and yet this Christmas I am overcome with grief at having to spend it without my soulmate of 33 years.
My husband died of lung cancer in August and I am finding that with the coming of Thanksgiving and Christmas I am becoming even more lonley and depressed.
If there is anyone on this forum that has already gone through the process and come out on the other side please give me some hopeful advice.

I'm not a widower, so all I can do is pray for you - and I will. I'd also like to welcome you to CF and to the Golden Eagles. I hope that you enjoy the fellowship here.

Upvote 0

sk8Joyful

Aug 23, 2005
✟28,800.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Christmas is about the birth of a Savior, what more joyful time could there be, and
yet this Christmas I am overcome with grief at having to spend it without my soulmate of 33 years.
My husband died of lung cancer in August and with Thanksgiving and Christmas I am becoming even more depressed.
please give me some hopeful advice.
Hi there,
I don't know how much you will let this help :hug: you.

an excerpt of my life: At birth, I was 'abandoned' by my bio-parents, &
so my maternal grandparents raised me. But my grandma HATED kids, so
my grandpa tried to shield me from her as best as he could. Unfortunately he died :eek:
as I was only starting Kindergarten :cry: How could that happen?? NO!. -

at 13, I came to America, where my family promptly 'abandoned' me, a 2nd time!! &
by the time I was 55, my world had crashed 4 more times. -
Do you know what got me THRU? each of those horrific
times: *my precious :angel: IMAGINARY :hug: friends*. I've had
so many years of practice now, am quite the expert :D

(either ridicule); or return to this phenomenal :thumbsup:Childhood skill we had as babes. For sure it works!! :wave:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

servant of Merciful Love

Goodbye~God bless
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2008
✟2,498.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
254206-albums3665-32144.gif

Upvote 0

pappastratos

May 10, 2011
Alabama,,,very close to paradise !
✟15,616.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I look at Christmas as a day. I am fortunate that my family is close by, but as for the stress I let that go. It's a day. I celebrate it as the birth of Jesus but as for all of the rest of the stuff, I try not to let it stress me out. Too much drama for one day out of a year.
VERY GOOD !

Upvote 0

davedajobauk

dum spiro spero
Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2006
Salford, Greater Manchester. UK
✟300,707.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Christmas: is it a happy time, sad time or stressful ?

It is a HAPPY TIME
If, there are tears, then these will be
tears of joy, of contentment, of gratitude, of praise
For it is at this time that we CELEBRATE the birth of Christ [in the flesh]

SADNESS _is a 'negative' emotional response, to human failing

:praise: Him

dave

Upvote 0

servant of Merciful Love

Goodbye~God bless
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2008
✟2,498.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
It is a HAPPY TIME
If, there are tears, then these will be
tears of joy, of contentment, of gratitude, of praise
For it is at this time that we CELEBRATE the birth of Christ [in the flesh]

SADNESS _is a 'negative' emotional response, to human failing

:praise: Him

dave

Very true!

Even in our recent losses, we rejoice in THEIR blessings for they are with the Lord, and anything else that is allowed (we perceive as negative/sad) is according to His perfect will for our good.

:amen: Praise God :clap:

Upvote 0

faithinlife

Feb 18, 2009
USA
✟186,480.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Christmas is a time to remember Christ's Birth; and to spend time with friends and family. I enjoy also attending Christmas concerts and events at other churches; and singles groups. However, this year and other Christmases will be sad because of the loss of my father, who passed away in Jan. this year. Thanksgiving was also sad. My sister-in-law's father passed away in 2009, a week before Christmas, which makes it a sad time also.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mjmcmillan

Sep 27, 2009
Out there. Thataway.
✟5,089.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I don't expect to say much in this thread, but since you asked:

I will be spending Christmas Day alone, as likely as not. My brothers and sister are all Jehovah's Witnesses, and only one brother remains in this area anyway. He's so far over the edge on the subject that Scrooge had a better Christmas spirit. Maybe some friends will invite me over, but right now that's not the way to bet.

The church I go to has a couple of events coming up that I will make every effort to attend, one is a pot-luck combined with carols and Christmas-based themes, the other is a service to be held the Thursday before Christmas, and of course it's supposed to be about doing Christmas right.

So, we'll see how it goes.

Upvote 0

davedajobauk

dum spiro spero
Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2006
Salford, Greater Manchester. UK
✟300,707.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
((((HUGE-HUGZZZZ))))

Goes out, to those whom find themselves alone at this time
As God is witness to my own loneliness of some, eleven years
I reach out and tell you... that there is HOPE

My own illness, Peripheral Vascular Disease [blocked veins and arteries]
brought me, the disgust of the 'woman' in my life and two [at least] of our six children
whom, were young enough and naieve-enough to swallow
the lies she wanted them to believe
With them living-with her_ she became eligible
to cheaper council [local authority] housing, whilst I had to pay for private accomodation
[no-dependant children]

I faced, a downhill shuffle [alone, after 30 years]
alone that is, save for the visits I received from my two older sons,
who [being male] found my-company, more rewarding
and of-course our two daughters, that showed me, that their love for their father
would survive 'the stories' their Mother promulgated

I had at this time already joined CF
and, some really-cool 'guys and gals' took me to their hearts
Many, have now moved-on_ 'passed'.... ahead of me
I will not delete them from my 'friends list', for-reason, to me, they are not "dead"
but, are simply 'gone-on ahead'

I had faced a future, that had no-prospects of, a male-female relationship
because my circulatory 'problems' also imposed, impotency, upon me
But, God, works in miraculous ways, His 'mysteries' to-perform
[no textual error]
~
On another forums, at-which I had been a member, for four years
a self-confessed 'lesbian' [member] approached me
re: this friend of her's who was having computer-problems
+and asked; if, I could offer her 'help'

After many weeks of concerted efforts, my instruction and Mary's trust
we found that her laptop was irrepairable
Her son Andrew, a technician at Salford University provided her with a PC desktop
and for different reasons, we continued to enjoy an online 'fellowship'
I'd learned that she had been divorced the past fourteen years [after 32 years marriage]
and had had, no desire for another man in her life
From the outset, I had been honest, with regard to my health
and made it absolutely clear, that I was not seeking another heterosexual relationship
My days, of family creation had ended way-back in 1985
when, I had undertaken, the irreversible kind of, vasectomy
because a further pregnancy in my [then] beloved wife, would be extremely life-threatening
Her, having suffered a transverse-tear of the uterus, and a hysterectomy
would traumatise her further and that, something I could-not have wished upon her

Over the year that followed, Mary and I found ourselves with MUCH that we could 'offer' each-other
Our past-experience, gave us 'mutual-understandings', with regard to each-other's needs
and our relationship found very-firm foundations
We tested each other, with visits to each other's homes, for two-three days at a time
Periods, that I termed 'BUMPING ELBOWS' ...
hey :thumbsup: we-survived ;);)
and so it was, that I used-up the last of my savings... to head 'outa-town'
~some 182 miles north, to Mary's home

I arrived on the evening of, Friday 6th July 2007
and I am just so-happy... to tell you, that I am still here
and in the company of a 'real-live-angel'
We are engaged to be married [since her birthday on 23rd December 2007]
but a wedding, would be prohibitively-expensive on our joint-income

Our engagement, took-place, before the assembled gathering
of four of Mary's five children and their families,
and our vows to each-other, have been witnessed by our Father via prayer
It is my belief, that it was He, that brought-us together
for we complement each-other, in ways, that my ex and I, never-did

I recall my ex saying [toward the very end] "I want a divorce"
and, my response was "Thank God for that" !!!
for it was then, that I saw an end, to her punishmment of, my wounded heart

When you REALLY LOVE SOMEONE....
you must, also love them ENOUGH, to let them go
Because, YOU WANT THEM TO BE HAPPY [?]
Because, for them to stay, would make them miserable [?]
Because, there was nothing that your heart could do to 'KEEP THEM'

There will always be, some things that we cannot change
and yes, despite our wish, for them to be otherwise, we are bound to accept them
~as being 'unchangeable'

Let us never, regret, those happy, productive years we shared with those whom we loved
and treasured so-much
But instead, let us praise Him for those blessings

The Lord will bring us through, ALL, that He brings us to face
and I join you in your appreciation, that He brings us to deal with some really tough emotional turmoil
that is I KNOW, such a very big LUMP to have-to swallow
His purpose/ reason for bringing us to face destruction of all we value [in the world] so HARD to 'see'
He teaches us that the worldly-stuff, has no-place, in Heaven

As someone that has had no real-reason to continue my existence in the world [?]
I confirm, that Jesus does not give us, as the world gives us
on the contrary, He gives us a peace and comfort, that unbelievers can have no-awareness of

We are, never alone :no:
We can be, in situations, where we can feel that He is absent [elsewhere] even, too-busy
to watch over us, FALSE!!!!
Don't listen-to 'Satan'

Psalm 23 (NIV)
The God of Love my Shepherd is.....

God Bless you all

dave

Last edited:
Upvote 0

angelwind

Soli Deo Gloria
Site Supporter
Sep 25, 2004
So. California
Visit site
✟97,335.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Widowed
I don't expect to say much in this thread, but since you asked:

I will be spending Christmas Day alone, as likely as not. My brothers and sister are all Jehovah's Witnesses, and only one brother remains in this area anyway. He's so far over the edge on the subject that Scrooge had a better Christmas spirit. Maybe some friends will invite me over, but right now that's not the way to bet.

The church I go to has a couple of events coming up that I will make every effort to attend, one is a pot-luck combined with carols and Christmas-based themes, the other is a service to be held the Thursday before Christmas, and of course it's supposed to be about doing Christmas right.

So, we'll see how it goes.

I will be with family, but Jesus will not be in the center...but I love being with the kids...and am thankful for them.

Upvote 0

bachatagirl

Dec 13, 2011
baltimore md
✟8,502.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Hi ... new here im 52 years ,,,,married to a cuban man who doesnt celebrate much of christmas,,,,his family celebrate by drinking all day and night,,,,soi dont participate in this...i have 2 children 12 and 20 years,,one is going away so i will be with my 12 yr old son christmas until husband gets home from work......christmas is a depressing time for me,,,my mother died dec 28th,,,,and memories from the past hurt but oh well....Jesus is my Saving Grace!,,,maybe ill go to the movies with my son...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

nChrist

AKA: Tom - Saved By Grace Through Faith
Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hi ... new here im 52 years ,,,,married to a cuban man who doesnt celebrate much of christmas,,,,his family celebrate by drinking all day and night,,,,soi dont participate in this...i have 2 children 12 and 20 years,,one is going away so i will be with my 12 yr old son christmas until husband gets home from work......christmas is a depressing time for me,,,my mother died dec 28th,,,,and memories from the past hurt but oh well....Jesus is my Saving Grace!,,,maybe ill go to the movies with my son...

You and your family will be in my prayers. I also want to welcome you to CF and to the Golden Eagles. I hope that you enjoy the fellowship here.

Upvote 0

servant of Merciful Love

Goodbye~God bless
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2008
✟2,498.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Welcome to CF and GE 50+ :wave:
I am sorry for your loss :( I lost my mother just before the holidays 2 years ago :hug:
You will be in my prayers that the Lord will be your presence, peace and joy this Christmas and in 2012 .
God bless you :crossrc:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

angelwind

Soli Deo Gloria
Site Supporter
Sep 25, 2004
So. California
Visit site
✟97,335.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Widowed

My mother died at Christmas time too....that was 20 years ago...I still think of her but not with so much pain anymore...just miss her. I have done the movies with my grandson at Christmas...I enjoy my little family even tho we are not Christ centered...we do enjoy the holiday and seem to like doing different things each season...as opposed to "traditional" things. Doing something "different"...has become a "tradition"...LOL.

I was starting to go down hill emotionally last night because of joint pains and aging difficulties...but have been trying to do something else...that is praising the Lord in my heart and mind because of His excellent greatness...because of who He is...I see the writers of the psalms doing this a lot...they do not say they don't hurt or have problems...they tell Him whats going on...but then manage to turn their hearts and minds towards Him in praise and thanksgiving. This is becoming a real thing for me lately...not just a formula to get through hard times, but a genuine way to live a life of faith. Hope this doesn't sounds preachy, because I really am trying to grow in the area...I spent most of my life down in the dumps emotionally...don't want to do it anymore if possible.

((((((((((hugs))))))))) Welome to the forum. :angel:

Upvote 0

servant of Merciful Love

Goodbye~God bless
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2008
✟2,498.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
It sounds right on angelwind :thumbsup:
Thank God for that light and grace :pray:
And thank you for sharing :hug:
It is a bittersweet time for most of us who have aging or deceased parents,
But thankfully we have the gift of faith and the hope and joy of Christ! :angel:

Last edited:
Upvote 0