wayseer

Jun 10, 2008
Maryborough, QLD, Australia
✟11,131.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
As I have posted previously elsewhere - one can justify any action through selective use of the biblical text.

But it's not very clever nor theological sound and is certainly not Christian.

The Pharisees I see live on masquerading as Christians.

Reactions: ebia
Upvote 0
P

Phinehas2

Christians can and should hate, they should hate those things which are evil.
For example:
Luke 16:13 "No servant can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and Money."

John 12:25 “The man who loves his life will lose it, while the man who hates his life in this world will keep it for eternal life.”

Romans 12:9 “ Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good.”

But of course Christians must not hate others and they certainly must forgive others.

Of course 1 John 4:20 is specifically to believers,
God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in him. 17In this way, love is made complete among us so that we will have confidence on the day of judgment, because in this world we are like him.

1 John 4:20 “If anyone says, "I love God," yet hates his brother, he is a liar. For anyone who does not love his brother, whom he has seen, cannot love God, whom he has not seen.”

But even more so, hating people is an example of what isn’t the faith.

Matthew 24:10 “At that time many will turn away from the faith and will betray and hate each other,”

Reactions: Polycarp1
Upvote 0

Emmy

Senior Veteran
Feb 15, 2004
✟50,995.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Dear PreachersWife. In Matthew, chapter 22, verses 35-40, Jesus tells a Lawyer, " The first and most important Commandment is: Love God with all thy heart, with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. The second is like unto it. : Love thy neighbour as thyself. On these two Commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets." Love is a Christian`s weapon to overcome all obstacles. We are on Earth to learn to love, and and overcome sin. Sin is everything which is done, or said, without Love. It is short and to the point, easy to remember but not easy to follow. Jesus told us to Repent, to exchange our selfish and unloving character...for loving God with all our being, and loving all others, friend or foe, as we love ourselves. A good way to start is by treating all we know or meet, as we would like to be treated, with kindness, friendliness and forgiveness, and a helping hand if needed. This will soon be noticed and people will react likewise. Life will become interesting and enjoyable. To hate is a very unkind and unlike Christ word or deed. I say this humbly and with love, PreachersWife. Greetings from Emmy, your sister in Christ.

Upvote 0

onemorequestion

Jun 27, 2010
✟1,978.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Some questions...

Is it okay for Christians to hate other Christians simply because they disagree with them?

When a Christian is accused of hating another Christian, the accuser is claiming that the hateful person is not a Christian and never was one.

Should Christians who profess that hatred continue to stew and seethe about them to other people?

No. Gossip is equated with murder.

Is it okay for Christians to carry grudges?

No.

Upvote 0

onemorequestion

Jun 27, 2010
✟1,978.00
Faith
Non-Denom
As I have posted previously elsewhere - one can justify any action through selective use of the biblical text.

You could even redefine marriage into a same gender thing by using some wierd idea of scripture support for that.

But it's not very clever nor theological sound and is certainly not Christian.

Your perspective here is sound.

[quot]The Pharisees I see live on masquerading as Christians.[/quote]

The Pharisees were not Christians. Some became a Christian, but the Pahrisees were not a Christian group.

Upvote 0

Zebra1552

Urban Nomad. Literally.
Nov 2, 2007
Freezing, America
✟26,738.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
This subject matter can be researched by what is written from Acts to Jude. Watch how the Apostles and Disciples handled the subject.

Hate plus Christian life is impossible to be found in the same person.
Then explain Jesus' hatred of evil.

Upvote 0

wayseer

Jun 10, 2008
Maryborough, QLD, Australia
✟11,131.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
You could even redefine marriage into a same gender thing by using some wierd idea of scripture support for that.

It is interesting how you bring this matter up with monotonous regularity - particularly in light of the fact that I have given a rather lengthy theology argument where I have alluded to the spiritual connections of marriage.

The Pharisees were not Christians. Some became a Christian, but the Pahrisees were not a Christian group.

Are you sure you understand what I mean?

But then again Paul was a pharisee.

Reactions: ebia
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
P

Phinehas2

wayseer,
Why is it when ever scriptures are provided to support something liberal theology dissmisses them as selective, out of context or cherry picking, and merrily continues with its scriptural unsupportive worldview.

No - you explain it. Just where does Jesus say he 'hated' anything?
20Everyone who does evil hates the light, and will not come into the light for fear that his deeds will be exposed.

As far as you are concerned, possibly John, possibly Jesus.

does this count?
John 7:7 "The world cannot hate you, but it hates me because I testify that what it does is evil."

Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Some questions...

Is it okay for Christians to hate other Christians simply because they disagree with them?

Should Christians who profess that hatred continue to stew and seethe about them to other people?

Is it okay for Christians to carry grudges?

It's not okay but we know we see many doing all the above. :doh:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
P

Phinehas2

ebia,
But your quotes are about Jesus being hated, not about Jesus hating.
Are you just looking to argue for the sake of it? Do you accept that I was addressing wayseer’s remarks about ‘anything’ as opposed to ‘anyone’?

I accept what you are now saying, those quotes are more about Jesus and disciples being hated, but Jesus says He testifies against evil, if He testifies against it He must hate it rather than love it.
Also..
Romans 12:9 “Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good.”

Upvote 0

Criada

Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2007
✟114,628.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
ebia,
Are you just looking to argue for the sake of it? Do you accept that I was addressing wayseer’s remarks about ‘anything’ as opposed to ‘anyone’?

I accept what you are now saying, those quotes are more about Jesus and disciples being hated, but Jesus says He testifies against evil, if He testifies against it He must hate it rather than love it.
Also..
Romans 12:9 “Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good.”

I can testify against someone if I am a witness to wrongdoing, without any hatred towards them!
However, hating evil and hating evildoers are two very different things, the first is an attribute of God, the second is not.

Upvote 0