Mar 12, 2006
✟58,445.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
"Christians are very different from unbelievers."

"So to me an athiest is a lesser person who is closed minded and shallow."

"Atheists lack the huge body of spiritual knowledge that believers have, thus making them unqualified to ‘provide for the general welfare’ as elected officials."

"I dislike atheists because they’re the rudest, nastiest, most ignorant, and most dishonest people I’ve ever met. "

"...atheists are the most immoral, unethical, and non trustworthyGroup in Society."

So other than, being lesser people, closed minded, shallow, unqualified to be elected officials, rude, nasty, ignorant, dishonest, and the most immoral, unethical, and most untrustworthy group in society, how else are atheists/non-Christians very different from Christians?

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Actually, I find little difference between American non-Christians and those Christians who emphasize following Jesus' teachings. This isn't always the case, of course. Atheists in other cultures have often been rather different. Among the most aggressively atheist cultures we have the French revolution and communists, neither of which I see a positive.

It seems to me that in the US, non-Christians and mainline Christians interact a lot. The non-Christians I know seem to me to have absorbed many of the basic things Jesus taught. But there have been times when non-Christians have led in dealing with ethical problems, and many Christians have had to catch up.

I tend to view the role of Jesus' followers as being to lights to the Gentiles, leaven for the loaf, etc. So I think when the broader culture agrees with our values, we're doing our job.

I am a bit concerned, however, whether the priority on reconciliation, as well as more difficult virtues such as honesty, will survive in the long run in an increasingly non-Christian culture. I think our culture is becoming increasingly harsh. I'd have a better case, however, if Christians showed these virtues more consistently.

Upvote 0

talitha

Cultivate Honduras
Nov 5, 2004
Tegucigalpa, Honduras
Visit site
✟22,601.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Hmm, these statements for the most part are not what I have heard from other Christians, nor would I say these things......
Sadly, most Christians are not very different.
Closed-minded, yes, in a way, for not even considering the idea that God even exists, much less loves them. Or for rejecting God because he doesn't do what they think He should do. But not necessarily shallow. I think many atheists are deep thinkers. Maybe that is their problem. There was a time when I rejected my belief in God and thought there was no way I could cross the intellectual gap that I perceived to be between me and "simple belief".
"Atheists lack the huge body of spiritual knowledge that believers have, thus making them unqualified to ‘provide for the general welfare’ as elected officials."
I don't think a huge body of spiritual knowledge is required, but I would rather have believers in office, because they have access to God's wisdom, which is not the same thing as knowledge.
"I dislike atheists because they’re the rudest, nastiest, most ignorant, and most dishonest people I’ve ever met. "
Most of the atheists I have known have been polite, honest, and interesting conversationalists.
"...atheists are the most immoral, unethical, and non trustworthyGroup in Society."
Definitely not true. That honor goes elsewhere.

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

So other than, being lesser people, closed minded, shallow, unqualified to be elected officials, rude, nasty, ignorant, dishonest, and the most immoral, unethical, and most untrustworthy group in society, how else are atheists/non-Christians very different from Christians?

I think if a Christian had gone to an atheist website and posted a bunch of quotations by atheists that slandered and denigrated Christians as a group, the atheists on that site - at the very least - would want some way of verifying the quotations.

I'm assuming your question is more rhetorical than actual. I'm assuming your question is just a vehicle for demonstrating that Christians say unkind things about atheists. You don't, I hope, think the unkind comments are all on one side.

Selah.

Upvote 0

JGG

Mar 12, 2006
✟58,445.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
I think if a Christian had gone to an atheist website and posted a bunch of quotations by atheists that slandered and denigrated Christians as a group, the atheists on that site - at the very least - would want some way of verifying the quotations.

There is. These quotes are from Christian Forums and there's a search function. If you want links you'll have to message me.

I'm assuming your question is more rhetorical than actual.

No, I just wanted to get the ball rolling. In what other ways does Christianity claim Christians are different from unbelievers?

I'm assuming your question is just a vehicle for demonstrating that Christians say unkind things about atheists. You don't, I hope, think the unkind comments are all on one side.

I've been here for 10 years. I've never seen a non-Christian claim anything like this. I have literally hundreds more examples from this site alone solely on the subject of atheists, nevermind gays, blacks, Jews, Muslims and so on. Not only that, but from what I've read Christians are the ones who are supposed to have God's wisdom, their culture is morally superior, and they are simply the better humans. No, I don't see that it's not one sided. But, that's not really the point, is it?

Upvote 0

Messy

Jan 30, 2011
Holland
✟21,082.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I've been here for 10 years. I've never seen a non-Christian claim anything like this. I have literally hundreds more examples from this site alone solely on the subject of atheists, nevermind gays, blacks, Jews, Muslims and so on. Not only that, but from what I've read Christians are the ones who are supposed to have God's wisdom, their culture is morally superior, and they are simply the better humans. No, I don't see that it's not one sided. But, that's not really the point, is it?
Really? That's bad. On Dutch christian forums I saw only one real weird fundamentalist speak nasty to atheists, but still not that bad. They banned him.

Upvote 0

Messy

Jan 30, 2011
Holland
✟21,082.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Lol, atheists use their brain more, they need evidence, which I don't believe is wrong.

Upvote 0

JGG

Mar 12, 2006
✟58,445.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Closed-minded, yes, in a way, for not even considering the idea that God even exists, much less loves them.

What makes you think I have not considered this? I was a Christian for most of my life. My conversion from my specific denomination of Christianity, to non-denominational Christianity, to general theism to atheist.

Or for rejecting God because he doesn't do what they think He should do.

I think it's more a matter of the claims of what God is or does is questioned.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
There is. These quotes are from Christian Forums and there's a search function. If you want links you'll have to message me.
So, I have to do all the work to verify your quotations? Why not simply post the links? You've already gone to all the trouble of offering the quotations. Is providing links so hard?

No, I just wanted to get the ball rolling. In what other ways does Christianity claim Christians are different from unbelievers?
Well, they differ in their worldviews, for one. And out of this difference tumble a great many others. I don't, for instance, expect you - or most other atheists - to pray, or tithe, or attend church.

I've been here for 10 years. I've never seen a non-Christian claim anything like this.
I've had atheists get pretty snippy with me - on this site. Feel free to use the search function to find their snippy comments. ;) Some of the things I've read and heard coming from Sam Harris or Richard Dawkins about religion are appalling, too. And their books are best sellers. As I said, the nastiness is not all on one side.

I have literally hundreds more examples from this site alone solely on the subject of atheists, nevermind gays, blacks, Jews, Muslims and so on.
Why? And how many of the millions of Christians in the world even know about, let alone post on, this site. I think it is stretching to contend that what is said about atheists on this site is the general view of most Christians.

Not only that, but from what I've read Christians are the ones who are supposed to have God's wisdom, their culture is morally superior, and they are simply the better humans. No, I don't see that it's not one sided. But, that's not really the point, is it?
Well, any Christian who tells you they are the better human because they are Christian doesn't know their Bible very well. I think one could make an argument for Christians being generally more charitable and having more reasoned ground for their morality than atheists, but this doesn't necessarily always translate into an actually morally superior culture for the Christian. As for what your point is, well, your series of quotations seem to make it very clear.

Selah.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

talitha

Cultivate Honduras
Nov 5, 2004
Tegucigalpa, Honduras
Visit site
✟22,601.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
...from what I've read Christians are the ones who are supposed to have God's wisdom, their culture is morally superior, and they are simply the better humans.
Well, Jesus did not die on a cross to make us the same as we were before we accepted His sacrifice. He died to make us acceptable to God. We do have access to God's wisdom that others do not have. It is a perk of being a Christian. Christian culture is in fact morally superior, when it is influenced more by Christ than by the wisdom of man and the greed of the unredeemed human soul. And yes, we are in better spiritual shape - or why would we be Christians? Just sayin'.

Upvote 0

Soul2Soul

Love is .....
Dec 23, 2013
London
✟9,428.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

And vice versa. I find also that Christians are very different from other Christians as well as other "religious believers".

Lesser person? - diasgree. Closed minded? - possibly. Shallow? - I can't make that type of judgement.

Spiritual knowledge? Well from my understanding of spiritual knowledge as a Christian - it is obtained from God's Word and the presence of God's Holy Spirit in a Christian's life. I personally consider attaining spiritual knowledge is essentially to develop one's holiness .... but I do not equate spirituality with morality. If an atheist has a different understanding of spiritual knowledge but it is comparatively altruistic in essence, then why not serve as an elected official?

Some are some of the above.

Belief in salvation through Jesus Christ (death, burial and resurrection) who resided on Earth as God in the flesh

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JGG

Mar 12, 2006
✟58,445.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
So, I have to do all the work to verify your quotations? Why not simply post the links? You've already gone to all the trouble of offering the quotations. Is providing links so hard?

No, but it is against the rules. Providing links, or even crediting the quotes makes this dangerously close to a call-out thread. I'm sure you'll understand.

Well, they differ in their worldviews, for one. And out of this difference tumble a great many others. I don't, for instance, expect you - or most other atheists - to pray, or tithe, or attend church.

Most maybe. While I don't pray, I do go to temple, and donate heavily to that temple.

I've had atheists get pretty snippy with me - on this site. Feel free to use the search function to find their snippy comments. ;) Some of the things I've read and heard coming from Sam Harris or Richard Dawkins about religion are appalling, too. And their books are best sellers. As I said, the nastiness is not all on one side.

Atheists were "snippy" with you? Is there a quote where Christians are morally inferior to everyone else? How about where they are responsible for drugs and STD's? Has anyone ever threatened your life on here?

And Harris and Dawkins? How about Pat Robertson and Jerry Fallwell? Coulter, Hannity, and O'Reilly? Rev. Wright and the Phelpes? There was even discussion lead by President Bush as to whether atheists were American citizens. It was only a few months ago that a Preacher praised Ebola as being the cure to the atheist problem.

Why? And how many of the millions of Christians in the world even know about, let alone post on, this site. I think it is stretching to contend that what is said about atheists on this site is the general view of most Christians.

Where would you get a better representative sample than here?

Well, any Christian who tells you they are the better human because they are Christian doesn't know their Bible very well.

Or maybe you don't. What credentials do you have that match a saint?

I think one could make an argument for Christians being generally more charitable and having more reasoned ground for their morality than atheists, but this doesn't necessarily always translate into an actually morally superior culture for the Christian. As for what your point is, well, your series of quotations seem to make it very clear.

If I may: "We do have access to God's wisdom that others do not have. It is a perk of being a Christian. Christian culture is in fact morally superior, when it is influenced more by Christ than by the wisdom of man and the greed of the unredeemed human soul."

There you go Christian culture, is in fact morally superior. The rest is just window dressing. Surely you agree now that Christians are superior human beings?

Do you disagree that when someone becomes a Christian they become a better person?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JGG

Mar 12, 2006
✟58,445.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
I found atheists interesting. Some of them are the nicest people I have ever meant personally.

I also don't believe Christians are better. They just believe. And their righteousness comes from God alone. So it's not that they are better.

Yes it does:

2 Corinthians 16
Do not team up with unbelievers. How can righteousness be partners with wickedness (unbelievers)? How can light (born again believes) be with darkness (unbeliever's)?

If you're righteous, regardless of why, and I'm wicked, which of us is the better human being?

Upvote 0

JGG

Mar 12, 2006
✟58,445.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Well, Jesus did not die on a cross to make us the same as we were before we accepted His sacrifice. He died to make us acceptable to God. We do have access to God's wisdom that others do not have. It is a perk of being a Christian. Christian culture is in fact morally superior, when it is influenced more by Christ than by the wisdom of man and the greed of the unredeemed human soul. And yes, we are in better spiritual shape - or why would we be Christians? Just sayin'.

Indeed. Just sayin'. Superior human beings.

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Most maybe. While I don't pray, I do go to temple, and donate heavily to that temple.
That's...odd. What prompts your attendance and donations to this temple?

Atheists were "snippy" with you? Is there a quote where Christians are morally inferior to everyone else? How about where they are responsible for drugs and STD's? Has anyone ever threatened your life on here?
You know, as a rule, I just let the bad stuff dissolve into the past. I certainly couldn't be bothered to collect all the offensive comments atheists have made to me over the years just to prove they are all a miserable bunch of so-and-so's. To what useful end? People say unpleasant things to each other. Welcome to humanity.

I wonder why a few obnoxious remarks from Christians bugs you enough to prompt your thread here. All you have really proved is that the Christians who made the unkind remarks you cited are acting contrary to the injunctions of their faith. It's a very unwarranted leap to suggest they speak for all other Christians.

And Harris and Dawkins? How about Pat Robertson and Jerry Fallwell? Coulter, Hannity, and O'Reilly? Rev. Wright and the Phelpes? There was even discussion lead by President Bush as to whether atheists were American citizens. It was only a few months ago that a Preacher praised Ebola as being the cure to the atheist problem.
What about them? My point was that both sides have been unpleasant. Nothing you've noted here proves otherwise.

Where would you get a better representative sample than here?
Try Pew Research. Or do a survey of, say, 70-80,00 churches around the globe. That'd certainly give you better cross-section of Christian attitude toward atheists than what you find here.

Or maybe you don't. What credentials do you have that match a saint?
The Bible calls every Christian believer a saint. Consequently, I feel not the slightest need to meet some silly Roman Catholic standard for saint-hood. I have been clothed in the perfect righteousness of Christ - "justified" the Bible calls it - and in God's eyes I am as perfect before Him as any "saint" the RC church has recognized. And I know this because I know my Bible.

If I may: "We do have access to God's wisdom that others do not have. It is a perk of being a Christian. Christian culture is in fact morally superior, when it is influenced more by Christ than by the wisdom of man and the greed of the unredeemed human soul."

There you go Christian culture, is in fact morally superior. The rest is just window dressing. Surely you agree now that Christians are superior human beings?
Well, hang on. The quotation says nothing about Christians being "superior human beings." That's your spin on it. In fact, the above quotation uses the term "superior" only in reference to the moral character of Christian culture.
Do you disagree that when someone becomes a Christian they become a better person?
That depends upon what you mean by a "better person." And who qualifies as a Christian?

Selah.

Upvote 0

angelkiss

Veteran
Dec 15, 2005
✟41,855.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
:scratch: I am totally confused by this thread. I have never heard a Christian speak of an atheist in such manner. Not here or anywhere else for that matter.

I know several atheists and love them as much as anyone else. Do I argue and debate with them? No. Do I feel that I am better than them? No. Do I feel I am above them? No. My take on the whole subject is.....
We are all humans that make mistakes and are not exempt from God's wrath, believers and non believers alike. Christians are to be obedient to God's instruction and if we are not careful, can fall from grace and fall short of Heaven. It's not in this life that we are better than anyone else, it is in the life that follows that we will be better off as long as we stay in God's graces.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,149.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

So, being as you have five quotes which you for the sake of this thread are allowing to define the beliefs of millions of Christians in the US and billions worldwide, I have to ask: How many of them came from the same person?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.