Christians are more diverse than what I thought...

Hestha

Jun 1, 2012
✟8,272.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Before coming here, I thought that Christians believed the same doctrines, went to church on every Sunday, and had a strong penchant for supporting socially conservative laws that were often criticized as having no rational foundation. After some time here on CF, I come to realize that the Christian community here is quite diverse. It has resolved my initial preconceptions and prejudices of the Christian community and Christianity. I used to think that Westboro Baptist Church was a Christian Church, because it had "Baptist Church" in its name, but after conversing with people here on CF, it seems to me that even Christians recognize that group as a hate group! I think the recognition between good and evil is important, and I am impressed at the responses.

I just want to conclude the message that I enjoy my visits at CF. It has led me to view Christianity in a positive light, instead of in a shadowy, demonic light. It has also led me to think that Christians have the intention to do good instead of the intention to do evil.

I believe that Christianity is popular and widespread, because it is unique in faith and it is very adaptable within indigenous cultures. One remarkable feature that I find in Christianity is its ability to adapt to cultural preferences (as long as the indigenous cultures do not worship other gods and do not condone unbiblical practices). Protestants adapted Catholicism, because they believed that Catholicism strayed away from the Bible. Mormons adapted Protestantism, because they believed they restored the teachings of Jesus while Protestants, according to their view, merely reformed Catholicism, which included many teachings of man rather than teachings of God. Because Christianity is so adaptable in doctrine, I think this is why it has survived so long. :) Sort of like the crocodile. The crocodile has existed since the dinosaurs walked the earth. Because the creature is so adaptive, it adapts to the environment and refuses to perish!

Have a great day! :groupray:

Last edited:

ChristianT

Newbie Orthodox
Nov 4, 2011
Somewhere in God's Creation.
✟17,831.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Before coming here, I thought that Christians believed the same doctrines, went to church on every Sunday, and had a strong penchant for supporting socially conservative laws that were often criticized as having no rational foundation. After some time here on CF, I come to realize that the Christian community here is quite diverse. It has resolved my initial preconceptions and prejudices of the Christian community and Christianity. I used to think that Westboro Baptist Church was a Christian Church, because it had "Baptist Church" in its name, but after conversing with people here on CF, it seems to me that even Christians recognize that group as a hate group! I think the recognition between good and evil is important, and I am impressed at the responses.

I just want to conclude the message that I enjoy my visits at CF. It has led me to view Christianity in a positive light, instead of in a shadowy, demonic light. It has also led me to think that Christians have the intention to do good instead of the intention to do evil.

I believe that Christianity is popular and widespread, because it is unique in faith and it is very adaptable within indigenous cultures. One remarkable feature that I find in Christianity is its ability to adapt to cultural preferences (as long as the indigenous cultures do not worship other gods and do not condone unbiblical practices). Protestants adapted Catholicism, because they believed that Catholicism strayed away from the Bible. Mormons adapted Protestantism, because they believed they restored the teachings of Jesus while Protestants, according to their view, merely reformed Catholicism, which included many teachings of man rather than teachings of God. Because Christianity is so adaptable in doctrine, I think this is why it has survived so long. :) Sort of like the crocodile. The crocodile has existed since the dinosaurs walked the earth. Because the creature is so adaptive, it adapts to the environment and refuses to perish!

As our croc friends would say, "rawr."

Anyway, glad to hear it! :thumbsup: :)

Upvote 0

elman

elman
Dec 19, 2003
Texas
✟39,197.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married

I think you are very perceptive--and correct. There are a great many people who have a very narrow and incorrect view of Christianity---perhaps even more so than the incorrect and narrrow view most Christians have of Moslems.

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟800,884.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Again, you show good insight and a different perspective on everything. The reason Christianity even over Judaism adapts so well is the fact it is not an earthly government organization. It deals with the spiritual side of man, so it virtually can exist under any form of government without being a real threat to that government. Christianity is trying to change the person from the inside out and not change the behavior of a person that is not changed within (they are sinners and will go on sinning). We can work at changing the system to help people (get rid of slavery as an example), but Christianity can grow and function just fine where slavery exist.

Upvote 0