• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Christian Wife in Affair and Divorcing

bt2461

Aug 19, 2013
✟15,111.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I read with great interest some of the articles in this forum. My wife has, I believe undiagnosed BPD. We were married for nearly 27 years when my wife moved out (the kids were ages 11, 13 and 18) and filed for divorce after getting into a romantic relationship with another man that happened to be a family friend. She was a committed Christian, as was I. Prior to our marriage, neither of us had been involved in any serious romantic relationships. There were no affairs, domestic violence, etc., in our marriage. Prior to this affair we had never separated or discussed divorce. I was self-employed; she took care of the kids (first child 9 years into our marriage) and house, pretty much did what she wanted after the kids were older.
Were there were frustrations and problems in our marriage? Yes. The pressures of running a small business, 3 children, and all that goes with 2 imperfect people trying to work through this life together did at times seem impossible and we were both miserable and frustrated as well. Did I ever think either one of us would leave and divorce, no, never. I felt the bond between us, the commitments we had made and our kids would be important enough that divorce would never be a choice either one of us would make.
I was wrong. Once I became aware there might be more than casual family friendship between my wife and our family friend, I confronted her and him, both denying it. But....I knew there had to be more. So many things like anger, frustration, disappointments, etc., had built up over the years between my wife and I that I felt unable to confront and deal with. I felt emotionally distant from her and as if I was in a parent child relationship. I believed she had mental problems, but she would never allow herself to be evaluated or treated in any way. There was a history of mental problems (Bi-Polar type disorders) her mother's side of the family.
My wife filed for divorce over 2.5 years ago, and the proceedings are still going on. I was forced to sell my small business to be there for the kids and also due to 3 major back surgeries in the past 3 years. I started researching different forms of mental illness to try to find rational reasons something like this could happen in our lives so suddenly after all the years together and without consideration of the devastation it would cause our children, family, friends, let alone everything else we had worked for in life. Bi Polar came the closest until I started looking into BPD. I was amazed, the stories, the descriptions were my life.
Unfortunately, by the time I found out there was more than a platonic friendship between her and the other man, it was too late, she would not agree to any sort of counseling or to even stop seeing him to allow for us to work on our marriage. Her new boyfriend rented a converted garage apartment from my mother, who conveniently lived nearby and who she would regularly stop in and see, often with the kids.
Within a few weeks everything in our lives changed. She was now expressing great anger and hate towards me in every way, claiming God was actually responsible for her new relationship with this man, that he had brought him into her life to save her and make her happy. She stated 90 percent of her previously held beliefs were all a lie I had put on her, and that she was seeing visions and hearing all these new truths from God. She had turned into the most vengeful and hateful person I could ever imagine. She has now accused me of just about anything you could imagine.
The kids stayed with me when she moved out. They are deeply hurt as they considered her boyfriend a close family friend as well, as they had known him for years and were now shattered and angry at what they saw as his betrayal. There have been numerous conflict with their mother and them, and there mother is unrepentant about any of what has happened, which is not surprising, as she was never in fault for anything. Now they tend to put most of the blame on the boyfriend I believe as a way of accepting there mother and having some sort of relationship with her, but it is strained and uncertain what will happen when they see each other.
My wife has never worked and has not marketable skill (singer, artist, creating type, also very attractive), so I am also looking at having to fully support her for potentially the rest of her life. This has been and is the most horrible time of life I could have ever imagined. Everything we have worked 30 plus years for is down the drain. My oldest child has moved out, but the youngest (14 and 15) I have primary custody of and are having a very difficult time. There mother has been living with the boyfriend for some time now, but tells the kids she lives with a female friend. I struggle daily as I keep running though the event of our lives together and can never make sense of how bad things all went. No one could understand the intensity of the pain unless they go through something like this, so that is how I found this site. I am interested in hearing about others experiences with BPD and for advice on how to deal with it all, to heal and move on in life. Thanks for listening,
Gary

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I read with great interest some of the articles in this forum. My wife has, I believe undiagnosed BPD. We were married for nearly 27 years when my wife moved out (the kids were ages 11, 13 and 18) and filed for divorce after getting into a romantic relationship with another man that happened to be a family friend. She was a committed Christian, as was I. Prior to our marriage, neither of us had been involved in any serious romantic relationships. There were no affairs, domestic violence, etc., in our marriage. Prior to this affair we had never separated or discussed divorce. I was self-employed; she took care of the kids (first child 9 years into our marriage) and house, pretty much did what she wanted after the kids were older.
Were there were frustrations and problems in our marriage? Yes. The pressures of running a small business, 3 children, and all that goes with 2 imperfect people trying to work through this life together did at times seem impossible and we were both miserable and frustrated as well. Did I ever think either one of us would leave and divorce, no, never. I felt the bond between us, the commitments we had made and our kids would be important enough that divorce would never be a choice either one of us would make.
I was wrong. Once I became aware there might be more than casual family friendship between my wife and our family friend, I confronted her and him, both denying it. But....I knew there had to be more. So many things like anger, frustration, disappointments, etc., had built up over the years between my wife and I that I felt unable to confront and deal with. I felt emotionally distant from her and as if I was in a parent child relationship. I believed she had mental problems, but she would never allow herself to be evaluated or treated in any way. There was a history of mental problems (Bi-Polar type disorders) her mother's side of the family.
My wife filed for divorce over 2.5 years ago, and the proceedings are still going on. I was forced to sell my small business to be there for the kids and also due to 3 major back surgeries in the past 3 years. I started researching different forms of mental illness to try to find rational reasons something like this could happen in our lives so suddenly after all the years together and without consideration of the devastation it would cause our children, family, friends, let alone everything else we had worked for in life. Bi Polar came the closest until I started looking into BPD. I was amazed, the stories, the descriptions were my life.
Unfortunately, by the time I found out there was more than a platonic friendship between her and the other man, it was too late, she would not agree to any sort of counseling or to even stop seeing him to allow for us to work on our marriage. Her new boyfriend rented a converted garage apartment from my mother, who conveniently lived nearby and who she would regularly stop in and see, often with the kids.
Within a few weeks everything in our lives changed. She was now expressing great anger and hate towards me in every way, claiming God was actually responsible for her new relationship with this man, that he had brought him into her life to save her and make her happy. She stated 90 percent of her previously held beliefs were all a lie I had put on her, and that she was seeing visions and hearing all these new truths from God. She had turned into the most vengeful and hateful person I could ever imagine. She has now accused me of just about anything you could imagine.
The kids stayed with me when she moved out. They are deeply hurt as they considered her boyfriend a close family friend as well, as they had known him for years and were now shattered and angry at what they saw as his betrayal. There have been numerous conflict with their mother and them, and there mother is unrepentant about any of what has happened, which is not surprising, as she was never in fault for anything. Now they tend to put most of the blame on the boyfriend I believe as a way of accepting there mother and having some sort of relationship with her, but it is strained and uncertain what will happen when they see each other.
My wife has never worked and has not marketable skill (singer, artist, creating type, also very attractive), so I am also looking at having to fully support her for potentially the rest of her life. This has been and is the most horrible time of life I could have ever imagined. Everything we have worked 30 plus years for is down the drain. My oldest child has moved out, but the youngest (14 and 15) I have primary custody of and are having a very difficult time. There mother has been living with the boyfriend for some time now, but tells the kids she lives with a female friend. I struggle daily as I keep running though the event of our lives together and can never make sense of how bad things all went. No one could understand the intensity of the pain unless they go through something like this, so that is how I found this site. I am interested in hearing about others experiences with BPD and for advice on how to deal with it all, to heal and move on in life. Thanks for listening,
Gary

Gary,

My heart goes out to you and trust me, I can relate very well to your experience.

I was married to a bpd women for 20 years and she too was the one who filed for divorce. Not because of an affair, but as a tool to try to get me to cower on my knees to her and I had had enough and I refused. Being blamed/accused of everything under the sun is normal behavior for BPD's (have you ever read the book; "splitting")? Excellent book, written by a former attorney, who became a psychologist and the book discusses divorcing a BPD individual.

My divorce took over 2 years and the final bill was close to $200K for legal fees, custody evaluator, guardian ad litem and so many court appearances, they should put a plaque with my name on it in the hallway. I also got full legal custody of three teens and she was also barred from getting any financial support from me. Financially, it was devastating and I can't stop blaming myself for allowing it to happen, thinking I could have done something, when I really couldn't. I saw a therapist for about 6 months to understand everything and he explained I was co-dependent of her for far too long, but that is not atypical with spouses that go through the abuse a BPD can dish out.

Hang in there, see a therapist to help you understand everything and to get back on track. You will make it and be better for it in the long run, believe it or not.

Upvote 0

DeepWound

May 28, 2014
✟15,120.00
Faith
Methodist
Man can I relate with you!!!

I was married for 18yrs and thought everything was OK until I found my wife in bed across the street with our family best friend on FATHERS DAY last year 2013. I was FLOORED!! I had NO IDEA she was unhappy. Oh there were issues like every relationship has but I was caught completely off guard. She even told me she loved me the morning I caught her. We have 2 sons 9 & 14. I have since found out that she has been telling this dude that I raped her, beat on her and beat on my boys all to make herself out to be a victim so he could SAVE HER. She did the same thing to me and her previous boyfriend 20 yrs ago I just wasn't aware then that it was all lies and part of her elaborate plan to get me to RESCUE her (that's what BPD women do)..... I'm like what the heck is going on here? Is this for real? I also found out that she's a master manipulator and a pathological liar. I mean this woman doesn't know how to tell the truth.

So she moves out and leaves the kids with me. She only sees them every other weekend. All along the way I tried to reconcile with her, tried to forgive her and then accepted divorce but tried to end it being friends so we could co-parent together. Every step,of the way she was lying to me and still manipulating me while carrying on with the neighbor and others!!

So now almost a year later I'm now dealing with her shacking up across the street with this dude in full view of me and our sons. I searched a lot of things to try to,figure out what was going on with her. I came across a great website bpdfamily.com and BAM there it was in Black and White. All her actions and traits described a waif type BPD woman to a T. I read story after story from guys like you and me that you would think,we were all married to the same woman. You should check the site out. It doesn't take the pain away put it will help,restore your sanity when you realize it wasn't anything you did but that these people are SICK and unfortunately very few ever get help.

I really do feel for you brother. When I read you story on here I could feel,your pain. IT SUCKS DOESNT IT? You probably feel,like YOU are the one going crazy. Now you and I are left to raise our kids practically by ourselves. I really wish my X -Wife would have ran away never to be seen again. She continues to hurt our kids by lying to them and manipulating them. It's so sad!!! I'm telling you I never saw it coming!!!! She was such a good liar that she had me fooled for 20yrs. In one night my world was changed for ever. But you know what brother? In the long run it is a change for the better, THE TRUTH WILL SET YOU FREE. Nobody wants to live a lie. You know what else too? My neighbor can have her she is a sick person. I only hate it now because it hurts my kids.

Hang in there brother. Keep,seeking God through Christ in the midst of the storm. That's the best thing that happened to me in all of this. My heart was broken open and Christ was finally able to get through to me. I feel like I'm born again for the first time. Seek him brother, He will see you and your kids Through the Storm!!

Don't hesitate to private message me anytime.

Last edited:
Upvote 0