Europe
✟7,939.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I don't know is this the right place to ask this, but i post it anyway and sorry if this thing has been asked already, i didn't just find a good answer.
What is your opinion about a christian wearing niqab (the clothing which hides the face but leaves eyes to be seen) , hijab (which hides the hair and neck but let the face to be seen) or these islamic type of clothing such as abaya or kaftan?
What do you also think, is wearing a niqab wrong when we look at the bible or think of god's opinion?
I'm interested to know the opinion of people about a christian woman covering herself in the style of muslim women or clothing similiar to biblical times.

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
If it is their own choice, then I don't care one bit - eventhough I might consider it to be a ridiculous "fashion choice". But you have a right and the freedom to look like a clown if you wish to...

If it is forced on them, then it is utterly wrong and just plain old oppression.

However, I'm also of the opinion that people should remain recognisable in public at all times. So covering the face is a no-go as far as I'm concerned.

also, for kicks and giggles:

upload_2016-2-8_18-28-42.png

hahaha :)

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I don't know is this the right place to ask this, but i post it anyway and sorry if this thing has been asked already, i didn't just find a good answer.
What is your opinion about a christian wearing niqab (the clothing which hides the face but leaves eyes to be seen) , hijab (which hides the hair and neck but let the face to be seen) or these islamic type of clothing such as abaya or kaftan?
What do you also think, is wearing a niqab wrong when we look at the bible or think of god's opinion?
I'm interested to know the opinion of people about a christian woman covering herself in the style of muslim women or clothing similiar to biblical times.

Posers or political activists. One or the other.

And that's in part because there's little about this idea that is absent from Christianity already, if a woman genuinely were to feel this way.

Certain denominations and churches long have featured women's attire that conceals the body and is otherwise designed and colored so as to be modest and minimize unwanted attention. If any Christian woman were concerned to do this in her own life, imitating the look of a Muslim fundamentalist would not be necessary.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Do you mean here in the US or in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia?

Reactions: Te're'sa
Upvote 0

jacknife

Theophobic troll
Oct 22, 2014
✟171,314.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
If it is their own choice, then I don't care one bit - eventhough I might consider it to be a ridiculous "fashion choice". But you have a right and the freedom to look like a clown if you wish to...

If it is forced on them, then it is utterly wrong and just plain old oppression.

However, I'm also of the opinion that people should remain recognisable in public at all times. So covering the face is a no-go as far as I'm concerned.

also, for kicks and giggles:

View attachment 169605

hahaha :)
666 dogmahunter as anti-Christ confirmed

Reactions: JerushaC
Upvote 0

JerushaC

Jan 24, 2016
Canada
✟9,616.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
In some places, women must wear a hijab and sometimes other Muslim garments for safety reasons. I was going to go to Pakistan with my cousins because my uncle is a pediatric heart doctor. I was informed that I would have to wear a hijab, for safety reasons and out of respect for their culture. The trip was canceled due to some dangers in the area unfortunately.

But a Christian women wearing Muslim attire in non Muslim countries doesn't really make sense. I guess they could do that if they wanted. I haven't read any verses against such thing, but what's the point?

Upvote 0

PsychoSarah

Chaotic Neutral
Jan 13, 2014
✟95,463.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
These kinds of coverings originated with similar practices done by Christians. Some very orthodox Christian groups still use clothing similar to hajibs.

So, no issue with wearing these clothes, near as I can tell.

Reactions: Locutus
Upvote 0

KitKatMatt

stupid bleeding heart feminist liberal
May 2, 2013
✟29,520.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
There's nothing wrong with someone choosing to wear these things, no matter what their religion or lack of it.

My great grandmother is a devout Baptist and wears a headscarf wherever she goes that covers her head, hair, and neck. Many other Christians in this area around her age do the same.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,245.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Do you mean here in the US or in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia?

Yup, it does make a difference.

I think Paul pretty much gave the guidelines when talking about food sacrificed to idols and not misusing Christian freedom.

If worn to conform to local customs of modesty one could even argue it is a requirement. If in the U.S. one would need to be careful lest they lead others to think one is following the rules of Islam.

Reactions: amariselle
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Not allowed in banks....but otherwise ok.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Locutus

May 28, 2014
✟22,874.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private

I'm an atheist (so clearly not a Muslim) and have worn hijab etc many times, in many places. I always loved having an excuse to wear it, because it was during my younger years (when I was staring fodder for men in the street). It was a wonderful relief to be visible, but never have to tolerate unwanted male attention. I felt safe and respected. I also experienced something close to true equality between the genders for the first time in my life. Which is really counter-intuitive considering I came from a western secular democracy. I'm not the first or only western woman who has noted this.

Upvote 0

Rajni

☯ Ego ad Eum pertinent ☯
Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2007
Visit site
✟1,240,857.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Single
I'm not sure about the niqab, but I find the hijab beautiful.
A couple of my coworkers who are Muslim wear them, and I
would totally do it too, even as a non-Muslim, except for
the fact that I'd likely get the stink-eye from anti-Muslim
folks.

You might appreciate the following testimony from a non-
Muslim lady who chose to wear a hijab:

An American Non-Muslim Hijabi Shares her Story!

I have thinning hair (mostly around the hairline—the rest
is fine), and so I always have my head covered with
something. If it's not a baseball cap, it's a bandanna. I
have also worn headscarves in the style featured in the
how-to video below (you can fast-forward to 4:53 to see
the finished look):

-

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,049.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Christian women in Muslim-majority countries are basically forced into wearing them if they want to protect themselves from being harassed and raped. I'm sure they would love the freedom to not wear them like women in the West have. Why a Christian woman from a Western country would want to voluntarily wear them is really beyond me. There's that professor at Wheaton who chose to, but I really think that sends the wrong message. If you want to show support for a Muslim minority that is actually in danger of having its human rights violated, there are better ways to do that.

Now, if it is a custom to wear a head covering for a specific people group that you were born into, and if that custom predates Islam, then that's different. Though a woman doing that would probably not use the names of garments associated with Islam if this were the case.

Upvote 0

farout

Standing firm for Christ
Nov 23, 2015
Mid West of the good USA
✟14,048.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Thank you for the answers.
It would be worn in the west, not forced, and the reason would be modesty/hiding the body/hair or face because one think that so is good to do and it gives respect to her husband for example.

As a Christian I believe we should never do, say or ware anything that would suggest we support, believe, or are involved with any thing that is not Christian. If a shirt has a satanic symbol I think its wrong to ware it. The same for Christian women waring garb that is identified with Islam, Muslim woman's clothing.

I suppose if Jesus were present and saw you warring it what do you think He would say? I believe He be disappointed and say take it off NOW.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
As a Christian I believe we should never do, say or ware anything that would suggest we support, believe, or are involved with any thing that is not Christian. If a shirt has a satanic symbol I think its wrong to ware it. The same for Christian women waring garb that is identified with Islam, Muslim woman's clothing.

I suppose if Jesus were present and saw you warring it what do you think He would say? I believe He be disappointed and say take it off NOW.

I don't think that Jesus would be upset at all by a woman wearing a hijab. The female Amish and Old Order Mennonites where I previously lived all wear stiff caps. How is that any different?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟12,013.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm not sure about the niqab, but I find the hijab beautiful.
A couple of my coworkers who are Muslim wear them, and I
would totally do it too, even as a non-Muslim, except for
the fact that I'd likely get the stink-eye from anti-Muslim
folks.

You might appreciate the following testimony from a non-
Muslim lady who chose to wear a hijab:

An American Non-Muslim Hijabi Shares her Story!

I have thinning hair (mostly around the hairline—the rest
is fine), and so I always have my head covered with
something. If it's not a baseball cap, it's a bandanna. I
have also worn headscarves in the style featured in the
how-to video below (you can fast-forward to 4:53 to see
the finished look):

-
Her videos were a great help for stylish scarves when I was doing chemo. She has a very nice tutorial for people without eyelashes and eyebrows as well.

Reactions: Rajni
Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟12,013.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't think that Jesus would be upset at all by a woman wearing a hijab. The female Amish and Old Order Mennonites where I previously lived all wear stiff caps. How is that any different?
I don't see much difference between a wimple and a hijab.

Reactions: Rajni
Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,293.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I'm fine with people that want to wear everything but niqab. I think niqab is a way to dehumanize and separate people. There is something seriously wrong and disordered about keeping someone faceless.

Upvote 0