Visit site
✟16,518.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
You're welcome, Run. And you're right - I guess those guys from the 70s would be considered first generation CCM. I have albums (and yes, by that I mean vinyl) by all those guys, but don't go back to them all that often. Like you, I really didn't get into CCM until the 80s (but I was - cough, cough- in college then, not a kid). Didn't really find it all that interesting (well, there were the Imperials and Amy Grant, but that was about it for me) until this more "alternative" type of CCM started appearing. That's when I got hooked. I agree with you that there's not that much out there right now that I want to listen to. I liked the David Crowder*Band (while they were together, at least) and the Newsboys (before Peter left and Tait joined), but not a whole lot else. I also like Christian techno/dance music, but it's rather hard to find. Anyway, have fun on the boards, and don't get discouraged just because everyone else seems so young. Still makes for an interesting read, even if you don't know half the bands they're discussing.

I'm glad you mentioned The Imperials. My dad sang tenor for 20 years for The Imperials and was co-owner with Armond. They did reform a few years ago but it was short lived.

Upvote 0

markb77

Nov 20, 2011
✟16,859.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I'm glad you mentioned The Imperials. My dad sang tenor for 20 years for The Imperials and was co-owner with Armond. They did reform a few years ago but it was short lived.

Pretty cool that your dad was in the Imperials (Jim Murray, I'm guessing). I didn't "get into" them until I heard Russ Taff sing "Watergrave". For my money (and this is nothing against what they had done up to that time or after, mearly my taste) those albums with Russ were the highest they ever reached - it helped alot that Michael Omartian was involved, of course. It wasn't the same (for me) after Russ left.

Upvote 0
Christian rock/Christian metal is the best...

Fav bands:
Demon Hunter
For Today
Impending Doom
Those Who Fear (debut album just came out I believe...brutal)
TFK
Red (new album is unreal)

Demon Hunter, For Today, and Impending Doom are unreal in concert. TFK and Spoken are pretty fun to watch too.

...almost forgot Times of Grace...Killswitch Engage guitarist's side project, Hym of a Broken Man is great.

Upvote 0

Tnmusicman

Sinner Saved By Grace
Mar 24, 2012
Nashville, TN ( Music City )
Visit site
✟16,518.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Pretty cool that your dad was in the Imperials (Jim Murray, I'm guessing). I didn't "get into" them until I heard Russ Taff sing "Watergrave". For my money (and this is nothing against what they had done up to that time or after, mearly my taste) those albums with Russ were the highest they ever reached - it helped alot that Michael Omartian was involved, of course. It wasn't the same (for me) after Russ left.

Ahhhh,Water Grave!!! Love it!! Yeah, to a point I agree about Russ. Funny thing is a month or so ago Russ was being honored for the 30th anniversary of Walls Of Glass and he got my dad,Armond,&Dave to sing Trumpet Of Jesus and I'm Forgiven,plus Micheal Omartian was playing keyboards. The crowd had been tame until the Imps.took the stage and it was like the old days again. Lots of people on their feet and screaming!! Lol!! It was a fun night! Someone did shout out "Watergrave" about 3 songs into the concert!! Russ said "my voice can't handle that song anymore"!!
Thanks for your comment.

Upvote 0

markb77

Nov 20, 2011
✟16,859.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Ahhhh,Water Grave!!! Love it!! Yeah, to a point I agree about Russ. Funny thing is a month or so ago Russ was being honored for the 30th anniversary of Walls Of Glass and he got my dad,Armond,&Dave to sing Trumpet Of Jesus and I'm Forgiven,plus Micheal Omartian was playing keyboards. The crowd had been tame until the Imps.took the stage and it was like the old days again. Lots of people on their feet and screaming!! Lol!! It was a fun night! Someone did shout out "Watergrave" about 3 songs into the concert!! Russ said "my voice can't handle that song anymore"!!
Thanks for your comment.

Now that's something I would have liked to have seen, especially with Omartian there as well. Very cool. Hard to believe Walls of Glass was 30 years ago - cheese & crackers that makes me feel old!

Upvote 0
Hopefully Im not judging but I think Manafest needs our prayers his recent album is flippin cool but I cant help but think hes struggling in his Christian faith he doesnt seem as passionate as he was earlier. I wouldnt know but Im definitely praying for him, he is so cool and walks in the anointing strongly.

This is speculation, but since you brought it up, he may be watering down his lyrics to sell more albums. A lot of Red's songs are pretty vague as far as actual Christianity is concerned, but very positive in general. Chevelle started under a Christian label, and ever since their firsr album it has been harder and harder to find anything Christian in their music. And now there are "christian" bands with openly homosexual, bisexual, and transgender members...the Christian music industry is not immune to worldly influence. Hopefully, Manafest is not going down that road.

It is a great idea to keep all of these ministers of God's truth in our prayers.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tnmusicman

Sinner Saved By Grace
Mar 24, 2012
Nashville, TN ( Music City )
Visit site
✟16,518.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Now that's something I would have liked to have seen, especially with Omartian there as well. Very cool. Hard to believe Walls of Glass was 30 years ago - cheese & crackers that makes me feel old!

You and me both,brother !! ROFL!! I've got a very short clip of the concert ( like a minute long) but it won't upload on CF for some reason. If I can get it to ill send it to you. Blessings (from your fellow older brother )!

PS--try my YouTube channel. It's uploaded on my feed there.http://m.youtube.com/user/tnmusicman1?feature=guide
make sure you go to the FEED and its called Imperials One Night Reunion.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jubileeLEE

Sep 18, 2011
✟15,305.00
Faith
Wesleyan
Marital Status
Single
watch
watch
watch
:clap::thumbsup::clap: DCTalk was the best ever !!

watch

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

holyrokker

Contributor
Sep 4, 2004
California
Visit site
✟20,850.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

Learning To Stand

Dec 24, 2011
Right here.
✟7,822.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Some of these are more recent discoveries for me, so I still have much to explore, but I find I like these bands:

Random Hero (very recent)
Alarcon ( very recent)
Project 86 ( not so recent)
P.O.D. (I remember first hearing them when I was maybe nine or ten... xD)
Flyleaf ( heard of them a while back before I was a Christian AND before I knew they were Christian)
Ilia (Exploring)

Upvote 0