Christian music suggestions

I'm looking for artists that make a less contemporary style gospel music. In other words, not Christian rock, Christian rap etc. I'm more interested in the kind of music that is like the hymns you would hear in church.

Thank you. :thumbsup:
Have a good search through: [Link]

Upvote 0

graceandpeace

Episcopalian
Sep 12, 2013
✟22,175.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I love anything of Anglican musical heritage, as well as Byzantine hymns, chants.

You might find performances or examples of Anglican music by the choirs of King's College Cambridge, Washington National Cathedral, St. Thomas Choir of Men & Boys. I like anything out of the Episcopal Church's hymnal. For Byzantine, I like anything by Fr Apostolos Hill.

A few Anglican hymns may be familiar to a Baptist church, though not as likely for Byzantine/Eastern music.

Please realize I'm not Baptist, but thought I would throw some ideas out there. Hope that's okay.

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
I just got the new "Christmas at Downton Abbey" CD and am enjoying it thoroughly.
Another suggestion would be the "Gaither Homecoming Classics" series in either CD's or DVD's.

Both of these should be right up your alley, as between them they have everything from Handle to blue grass gospel music, but nothing modern. :)

Upvote 0

SaintJoeNow

Mar 4, 2015
USA
✟3,191.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I'm looking for artists that make a less contemporary style gospel music. In other words, not Christian rock, Christian rap etc. I'm more interested in the kind of music that is like the hymns you would hear in church.

I have dozens of old hymnals which are the envy (not really envy, but his jaw dropped when he saw my collection) of Don Case of Case Music Ministries. They will come sing at your church if you contact them, no fee but the churches generally take up an offering for them and it's usually not much. the offerings they get do not cover their travel expense, they just love to sing for the Lord and do testimonies or brief speeches wherever they are asked to do them....all wonderful old music like you would enjoy. You can find them online and on youtube. They are dear friends of mine.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Skala

I'm a Saint. Not because of me, but because of Him
Mar 15, 2011
✟27,869.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

Honestly, Christian rap has some of the most meaningful, deep, and theologically sound lyrics these days. On par with Hymns.

In my experience most other modern Christian music can be described as "feel good" music.

I can drop some names if you change your mind :)

Here's a sample:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RUciHVpCbw

Upvote 0

South Bound

I stand with Israel.
Jan 3, 2014
✟31,159.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Dailey and Vincent have a lot of gospel music that's very good.

They also have an album of a capella hymns that's very good.

Alan Jackson has two good gospel albums out that are very traditional, and Larry Gatlin released a gospel album about three years ago that's very good.

Upvote 0

South Bound

I stand with Israel.
Jan 3, 2014
✟31,159.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Honestly, Christian rap has some of the most meaningful, deep, and theologically sound lyrics these days. On par with Hymns.

In my experience most other modern Christian music can be described as "feel good" music.

I can drop some names if you change your mind :)

Here's a sample:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RUciHVpCbw

I normally would not allow rap music into our home, but we've used several of Shai Linne's songs to catechize our children for years.

Reactions: Skala
Upvote 0

erin136

Apr 23, 2015
✟7,612.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

I enjoy Ron Hamilton his rejoice in the Lord album is classic to me as well as his cherish the moment album. I got stuck in a rut of contemporary Christian music for a long time and in my opinion it is bad news.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

USCGrad90

Seeker
Mar 19, 2013
Greenwood, South Carolina, USA
✟15,924.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Here is a link to music by the Gettys. They are contemporary hymn writers with music rooted in English and Celtic traditions. These are modern hymns that are heard in many churches.
https://www.gettymusic.com/about.aspx

Funny thing is I had a discussion about this with a friend a while back, who felt that contemporary music should not be used in church. He stated that the only music used should be traditional hymns (like those from the 1800s) played with piano or organ. I pointed out to him that one of the most prolific hymn composers, Isaac Watts, was considered controversial in his time because he wrote hymns that departed from the psalms and were more personal expressions of faith.
Isaac Watts - The Center For Church Music, Songs and Hymns

Upvote 0