1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting after you have posted 20 posts and have received 5 likes.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Less Advertisements! Members see fewer ads and have the option to upgrade their account to ad free!

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Christian masculinity

Discussion in 'Christian Philosophy & Ethics' started by Tallguy88, Jan 10, 2017.

1. ~Cassia~

~Cassia~ ~~~~~~~~~

Ratings:
    +8,790
    Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Christian
    And yet I see it as men usurping God's ultimate authority when not being equally submissive. Anything that is said about women in the bible, when taken to the spiritual of Christ and the church, is about the church collectively in regards to Christ as the head. Paul does not differentiate, the earliest church has an entirely different context of men/women leaders, and the authority belongs entirely to God and the church needs to be silent before it. The church has no voice, only God does.
    Again it's placing the cart before the horse to argue otherwise.

2. ~Cassia~

~Cassia~ ~~~~~~~~~

Ratings:
    +8,790
    Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Christian
    Masculinity otoh is at a time in history that it is being subject to the same media based scrutiny that women have always been.

3. Catherineanne

Catherineanne Gone

Ratings:
    +3,380
    Marital Status:
    Private
    Faith:
    Anglican
    Jesus Christ is Lord. We have no other.

End of story.

Anything else is a man made gospel. Anything.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017 at 4:59 AM
  4. DaveW-Ohev

DaveW-Ohev Our six grandchildren

Ratings:
    +2,952
    Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Messianic
    Indeed. While God is called "Father," a very masculine job title, almost every attribute of Him tends more toward the feminine.

One of His Hebrew names is El Shaddai - usually rendered in English something like "All Sufficient God." But that hides something rather plain in Hebrew - "shad" is the word for "breast."

Since the -ai ending indicates first person ownership (my, mine) as evidenced by Elohai (my God) or Adonai (my Lord), El Shaddai could roughly be rendered "God, my breast." Of course no self respecting translator would put it that way, but it would fit.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017 at 5:33 AM
  5. DaveW-Ohev

DaveW-Ohev Our six grandchildren

Ratings:
    +2,952
    Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Messianic
    They probably feel like a guy doing those things diminishes the brand, casts an unwelcome light on all men including themselves.

I got some of that growing up as a musician instead of a football player.

6. RDKirk

RDKirk Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner Supporter

Ratings:
    +3,335
    Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Christian
    You can Google that. Gird Up Your Loins: An Illustrated Guide | The Art of Manliness

"Art of Manliness" is a neat website--my Millennial daughter even praises it.

As a metaphor, "gird up your loins" means to prepare yourself to carry out some activity with great vigor, not casually.

7. Tallguy88

Tallguy88 Cubs win! Staff Member Administrator Supporter CF Senior Ambassador

Ratings:
    +6,035
    Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Catholic
    That may be how you interpret the issue, but I've said from the beginning that has nothing to do with this thread. It's about being a Christian man, not anything to do with feminine qualities. This is not an adversarial thread.

8. 98cwitr

98cwitr Lord forgive me Staff Member Red Team - Moderator Supporter

Ratings:
    +856
    Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Baptist
    MOD HAT ON

Thread has been severely cleaned...might I use the word GUTTED. The Staff at Christian Forums would like to encourage and remind you that our site rules call you to address one another with respect. I am posting the rule for everyone's review

Statement of Purpose and Off-Topic
    Read and abide by each forum's Statement of Purpose; Statement of Purpose threads are sticky threads located at the top of the forum's page. Not all forums have a Statement of Purpose thread. Start threads that are relevant to that forum's stated purpose. Submit replies that are relevant to the topic of discussion.

If your post is missing, it is due to a violation of the above rule or because you quoted a post containing this violation.

This thread is about masculinity, and shall not diverge into some men vs women topic lest y'all want this topic closed for good

MOD HAT OFF

9. RDKirk

Ratings:
    +3,335
    Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Christian
    Cooking is paradoxical. The role of "chef" was male only and denied to women until quite recently. It was seen as a woman's role only as done for her own family.

10. RDKirk

Ratings:
    +3,335
    Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Christian
    So what traits in common do they display that in your opinion are particularly "masculine?"

11. Tallguy88

Ratings:
    +6,035
    Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Catholic
    Being generally skilled would definitely be a good masculine quality. Be it cooking, mechanics, basic home repairs, even sewing tears in your clothes. I think it all ties into independence, which is definitely a masculine trait.

So there's one: Independence.

What else?

12. RDKirk

Ratings:
    +3,335
    Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Christian
    Independence is not, however, Christian.

13. Tallguy88

Ratings:
    +6,035
    Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Catholic
    Not sure I'd say "in common". But individually, St Moses the Black would be truly repentant for his evil life, then humble in his faith (the bag of sand story), then brave in his death.

So repentence, humility, and bravery for him.

St George would be bravery (fighting the dragon), fidelity (remaining faithful to the Emperor until ordered to renounce his faith), and steadfast faith unto martyrdom.

St Martin would be charity in how he cut his fine military cloak in half to clothe a naked begger.

14. Tallguy88

Ratings:
    +6,035
    Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Catholic
    To a point. Look at the girls with the oil. The ones who were prepared went to the feast while the foolish ones did not. So at least some level of personal responsibility is extolled, even if the sort of hyper-individualism that gets promoted in modern America is foreign to historic Christianity.

15. ~Cassia~

~Cassia~ ~~~~~~~~~

Ratings:
    +8,790
    Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Christian
    Biblically accountability to God would be one. That would include everyone tho as all must stand alone before God. But accountablity of anyone in a teaching position carries much more responsibility yet again that responsibility falls to even those of teachers of children.

Masculine men would know how to love deeply to the point of having taken on that characteristic from Christ. But again we're all commanded to do that.

I can't see it being any physical traits as each has their own physicalities.

Ok here's one:

1 Kings 2:1-3
    When the time drew near for David to die, he gave a charge to Solomon his son.
    “I am about to go the way of all the earth,” he said. “So be strong, act like a man, and observe what the Lord your God requires: Walk in obedience to him, and keep his decrees and commands, his laws and regulations, as written in the Law of Moses. Do this so that you may prosper in all you do and wherever you go

16. Cimorene

Cimorene Hi!

Ratings:
    +1,770
    Marital Status:
    Private
    Faith:
    Lutheran
    Lol, I like the way you phrased that. Diminishes the brand.:D You might be right. I just think it would be SO much better if people just lived & let live.

17. Neogaia777

Neogaia777 Apprentice Supporter

Ratings:
    +610
    Marital Status:
    Celibate
    Faith:
    Non-Denominational
    Look, the one notable difference I know of, and can be either in a male or female today, is how one handles "pain"... The way one deals with pain, suffering, sorrow, anguish, trouble, trails, tribulations, persecutions, problems is what, classically anyhow has separated the masculine and the feminine...

I am not saying one is better or worse than the other, for one stuffs it, or can bottle it up, sometimes doesn't, but sometimes can, which isn't good, if it does deal with it that way... While the other fully acknowledges it, but often takes it "too far" in and more than just simply acknowledging it, and can let it control and dominate their lives... One can (seem to) "get over it" easily, brush it off, shove it aside and move on... Which could be denying it, which is debatable to the healthiness of that... Their two extremes that should meet, somewhere in the middle...

The best, healthiest way to deal with, handle, and manage "pain" would be the issue...

God Bless!

18. RDKirk

Ratings:
    +3,335
    Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Christian
    Personal responsibility and independence are not by any means the same thing.

19. RDKirk

Ratings:
    +3,335
    Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Christian
    Woman: "I think I've been shot. Have I been shot? Do I need to go to the hospital?"
    Woman friend: "Oh, my goodnes, you have been shot!"
    Woman: "Then I need to go to the hospital!"
    Woman's friend: "You sure do!"

Man: "I think I've been shot. Have I been shot?"
    Man's friend: "It's just a flesh wound. Walk it off."

It seems to me that women want to hear a validation of their pain while men prefer to hear confidence that they can withstand their pain. This seems to be very old, as even from Shakespeare, when Mercutio has been run through with a sword:

Romeo: "Courage man! The hurt cannot be much!"

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017 at 6:08 PM
  20. Tallguy88

Ratings:
    +6,035
    Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Catholic
    So you think independence (within reason) is not a Christian virtue? What of the hermits? The monastics? They have historically striven to be independent as a community and produce what they need. That's far from their primary focus, but it is a component of the life.