North Texas
✟118,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
In Relationship
Ima still have to disagree with that one. Fussing over your appearance, whether it's makeup hair, or clothes, is unmanly. A man should look presentable for whatever occasion and maintain acceptable levels of hygiene. But primping outside of special occasions is a trait not worth persuing.

I'd personally argue that being overly concerned with your appearance isn't a good trait in men or women.

I haven't taken pot shots at women or femininity. Femininity is good, just not in men.

But masculinity is okay in women?
Women can have masculine traits, too. That's not a bad thing.
That sounds like a double standard, and misogyny (masculinity > femininity) to me.

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

We shall see the King when he comes!
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I'd personally argue that being overly concerned with your appearance isn't a good trait in men or women.

I don't disagree. But I'm not intending to tell women how they should act.

But masculinity is okay in women?

Depends what you mean. There are degrees of these things and some bleed over is to be expected. Some of the specifics vary by culture. Redneck women can put city boys to shame in knowing how to fix a truck for example. But that's a product of environment, not inherint traits.

That sounds like a double standard, and misogyny (masculinity > femininity) to me.
They are complimentary. But this thread isn't about femininity, so I don't want to go down the rabbit hole of comparing and contrasting them. This thread is about masculine virtues and specifically how they apply in a Christian context.

Continuing with the theme of the OP, there are many other "manly" saints we can look to for inspiration on Christian masculinity. St. Saraphim of Sarov, St. Moses the Black, St. George, St. Martin.

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Says one scientist! I had a doctor (she was a woman) who actually talked to me about how men and women's brains are set up differently and even had some books about it. Scientists... one week they'll say one thing and next week they'll say the exact opposite! But given the larger feminist agenda thing, I would expect certain scientists to report things to back up that agenda (scientists have agendas too). I think that's one of those things where you'll get totally different answers based on which scientist you ask. Anyways, the Bible is very clear about differing gender roles and also mentions things such as God telling Job to gird up his loins like a man.

do you disagree with this article?

Clothes, Makeup & Jewelry: Guidance for Christian Women

Now in Paul’s culture, everyone wore dresses (which are known as tunics when a man is wearing them). Pants weren’t a concept yet. If we want to get ridiculous—which we do—we could use this cultural fact to say that it is a sin for women to wear pants today because the women of Paul’s day didn’t wear pants. Fine, but let’s tell the rest of the story. The men in Paul’s day all wore dresses, so if we’re going to play cultural context games, we should all be running around in nightgowns. But of course in real life, God likes cultural diversity, which is why we find so much variation happening in styles of clothing around the world. Some groups still have both genders running around in dresses, but other groups have switched both genders over to pants. Does God care? No, He doesn’t. There’s nothing feminine or masculine about a particular style of clothing—these things are culturally defined and cultures are constantly changing. If you live in a culture where only men wear pants and you put on a pair of pants, you are going to make people uncomfortable and you are going to compromise your witness. But does this mean it is always wrong to push for change? No, it doesn’t. With God, heart attitude is what matters.

Upvote 0

Mountain_Girl406

Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2015
✟144,014.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Women can have masculine traits, too. That's not a bad thing.
But what makes those traits specifically masculine? If women have those traits, should they be equally admirable? Is a courageous woman not feminine? An assertive woman?

Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

God is perfect - Nothing is an accident
Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟571,865.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Could you give me a couple of examples on those masculine traits in a woman that seem to be accepted by men?

My wife is a very 'high energy' person --she's Irish-- so she has the energy to be very assertive and helpful towards me and the kids. She also is very likely to say whatever she wants to people, and even complain openly when she feels standards are unsatisfactory, which I find amusing at times, tiring at others.

...But she is very feminine. She's all girl, from her nails to her perfume to every detail. When I first met her in the 90's, her famous comment was "whateverrrr"... That's how people remember her in H.S.... By her sass.

...But very assertive and very courageous.

Upvote 0

Kiterius

CF's Favorite Member
Dec 24, 2016
Earth
✟32,893.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
To be masculine, we men need to be the dominant leaders in our spheres of influence. This includes such places as the church and the home. This doesn't mean we are to be bullies or bosses, but rather authoritative servant-leaders. Our women are feminine as they honour Christ by being submissive helpers for us.

Reactions: Thir7ySev3n
Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟571,865.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
To be masculine, we men need to be the dominant leaders in our spheres of influence. This includes such places as the church and the home. This doesn't mean we are to be bullies or bosses, but rather authoritative servant-leaders. Our women are feminine as they honour Christ by being submissive helpers for us.

Sounds Islamic to me. Can't do it, I'm out.

Upvote 0

Anguspure

Kaitiaki Peacemakers NZ
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2011
New Zealand
✟125,935.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
In the 1500's to the 1700's (possibly even longer), "civilized" European men dressed in ways that would be considered feminine by todays standards... So, sometimes I don't know what POV is natural, or by what cultural standards one should judge. I know what I prefer, which is not to be quite that 'showy'.

View attachment 188010
View attachment 188011
View attachment 188012

...Note, they're typically all carrying daggers and swords too, so you might assume they're not the type to shy away from a fight to the death either.
I found another one....
th

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,505,834.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

Yeah, I'm rejecting that outright. That just sounds like male insecurity looking for an excuse not to be challenged.

Part of the problem with this idea is that - outside the home - men usually aren't men in isolation. Not every man can be a "dominant leader" in the church or the workplace. Most men are going to have to work collaboratively or accept a subordinate position.

A masculinity constructed around ideas of being in control is dangerous and downright frightening. (As is a femininity constructed around being doormats for Jesus).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

look4hope

Love.Fellowship.Joy
Angels Team
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Dec 6, 2012
Somewhere in Jersey
✟382,922.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Seems we all see this in a different perspective. Nothing bad in that.
As a woman, I can describe masculinity in men in form of protectiveness, loyalty, physical And mental strength, a man that can reach something that's out of my reach, being 5'1 and all. That being said, it's awesome to know that those traits can also be found in women.

Upvote 0

look4hope

Love.Fellowship.Joy
Angels Team
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Dec 6, 2012
Somewhere in Jersey
✟382,922.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Which traits do you all believe is feminine but okay for men to Have?

I grew up with a dad that believed crying or showing too much emotion was considered weak and girly.
I beg to differ. It can be a trait that both women and men can have.

• Agree
Reactions: Cimorene
Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I'd have to know more about the writer's definition of "masculinity." I know at least one guy at church who thinks being manly means beating on your chest like a gorilla, grunting as opposed to speaking words, and for goodness' sake, never show any emotion unless it's anger. I'm exaggerating a little--but not by much.

Some people would say my husband is unmasculine because he likes to cook, and he prefers cats over dogs. And I've heard women being accused of trying to emasculate their husbands simply because they want the men to listen and show empathy instead of brushing the women off.

So what's the definition here?

Cooking is masculine. Nearly all of the greatest chefs in the world are men.

Cats, on the other hand. . .

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,505,834.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
What does the feminine expect from the masculine anyhow...? Does it even know...?

I expect a man to treat me as an equal and with respect. (I expect a man who wants to be my husband to approach life with me as a team; one in which we each bring different gifts, abilities, personality and experience and we deploy them together to create the life we want to live together, one in which the dreams and vocations of each are treated as equally serious, important and valuable).

I expect a man to be open to the world beyond his current horizons, humble enough to recognise that he does not know everything. I expect a man to be open to God in prayer and living a Christian life, aware that God has a habit of taking us in unpredictable directions; open to embracing those and seeing the life of faith as a worthwhile venture.

I expect a man to have some drive; some desire to be more than he is or do more than he has; and to have the character to pursue that effectively. I expect a man to recognise that he is not an island; that he is part of a network of relationships in extended family and wider community, and to be willing to play his part in that, neither shrinking from it nor using it for his own ego.

I expect a man to value his body and his health, but not to have a disordered attachment to his appearance. I don't expect a man to possess every virtue or character strength in perfect measure, but I expect to see that he takes the question of his character seriously. I expect a man to be honest and conduct himself with integrity, and to interact with others in a way which shows respect for their inherent worth and dignity.

How's that for a start?

Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟571,865.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yet, my grandpa, tough and strong as he was, was kind, meek, mild, humble, gentle, loving caring compassionate and kind... And just Loved everyone, though he was as tough as nails...

Hid work ethic, his kindness toward people and animals... I sure miss him... He was awesome, and awesome person, and awesome man, he also had a good, clean sense of humor, he was always saying things and smiling and laughing, he loved to joke and kid around with us grandkids, in a good way...

God Bless!

Sounds like a really good man. That's what I'm talking about right there -someone with character! :oldthumbsup:

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,497.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I expect a man to treat me as an equal and with respect. (I expect a man who wants to be my husband to approach life with me as a team; one in which we each bring different gifts, abilities, personality and experience and we deploy them together to create the life we want to live together, one in which the dreams and vocations of each are treated as equally serious, important and valuable).

I expect a man to be open to the world beyond his current horizons, humble enough to recognise that he does not know everything. I expect a man to be open to God in prayer and living a Christian life, aware that God has a habit of taking us in unpredictable directions; open to embracing those and seeing the life of faith as a worthwhile venture.

I expect a man to have some drive; some desire to be more than he is or do more than he has; and to have the character to pursue that effectively. I expect a man to recognise that he is not an island; that he is part of a network of relationships in extended family and wider community, and to be willing to play his part in that, neither shrinking from it nor using it for his own ego.

I expect a man to value his body and his health, but not to have a disordered attachment to his appearance. I don't expect a man to possess every virtue or character strength in perfect measure, but I expect to see that he takes the question of his character seriously. I expect a man to be honest and conduct himself with integrity, and to interact with others in a way which shows respect for their inherent worth and dignity.

How's that for a start?
That's awesome...

Excellent words... You don't mind if I copy and paste this and save it, do you?

I'll try to live up to that... Now, does anyone care to answer what the masculine expects from the feminine?

I'd just be satisfied with the feminine to give the masculine a break every once in a while, and be a little more understanding of what the masculine is and how he see's things, and realize what he can and can't do...

God Bless!

• Friendly
Reactions: Paidiske
Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,497.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Sounds like a really good man. That's what I'm talking about right there -someone with character! :oldthumbsup:
He was awesome, He was good with and loved animals and people and was very good with them... I've always looked up and looked to him (and Christ of course) as to what a real man is and should be like... He died two years ago...

• Friendly
Reactions: Landon Caeli
Upvote 0