✟335,689.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
How does one "gird up" his loins ?
I think it means the truth. So be a man in the truth that Jesus presents to you. Truth is only yah wide but infinately deep. I didn't see where the quote came from but to be boringly simple I would think that applies to all of mankind.

Upvote 0

SnowyMacie

Apr 12, 2011
North Texas
✟118,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
In Relationship
Says one scientist!

I quoted multiple articles that quoted multiple scientists.

I had a doctor (she was a woman) who actually talked to me about how men and women's brains are set up differently and even had some books about it.

She should read up on more modern psychology.

Scientists... one week they'll say one thing and next week they'll say the exact opposite!

Eh, not really. As scientist discover new things and learn more, they may change their minds if the new discovery turned out to be wrong. That's only the appropriate reaction.

I think that's one of those things where you'll get totally different answers based on which scientist you ask.

Perhaps not all psychologists agree, but the majority do agree that men and women are not different as society thinks they are.

Anyways, the Bible is very clear about differing gender roles

Outside of being the head of the house and leading/teaching in a church, there's really no Biblical argument that can be made about what men and women should and shouldn't do. I've never read a passage that remotely indicated a woman can't be a soldier or a man can't be a housekeeper.

Upvote 0

ruky

Nov 11, 2015
✟9,513.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Outside of being the head of the house and leading/teaching in a church, there's really no Biblical argument that can be made about what men and women should and shouldn't do. I've never read a passage that remotely indicated a woman can't be a soldier or a man can't be a housekeeper.

Sow clap. More people should see that.

Reactions: SnowyMacie
Upvote 0

John Hyperspace

UnKnown ReMember
Oct 3, 2016
Hyperspace
✟35,143.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
We have threads promoting ... men ... should wear makeup.

Ten-Gifs-doctor-who-33470759-482-248.gif

Upvote 0

LovebirdsFlying

My husband drew this cartoon of me.
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Aug 13, 2007
Washington (the state)
✟841,175.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Part of the problem, I think, can be a false dichotomy. The OP offers the loose guideline that courage, independence, and assertiveness are masculine traits. It doesn't necessarily follow from there that being feminine means displaying the opposite of courage, independence, and assertiveness. Yet some people (not necessarily in this thread or on this site, but in general) seem to think it does. Thus the stereotype that some caveman is ready to conk a dinosaur over the head to protect his woman, while she can do nothing but stand by helplessly and scream herself silly.

I was raised a child of the 1970's. I remember a lot of sexism in society, and really it worked against both genders. When I got old enough to have a job, I remember that there were places like convenience stores that would not put a female employee on an overnight shift by herself. Supposedly the store was more vulnerable to robbery if a woman was there alone, whereas a man was thought to be better able to protect himself and the store. Huh? Don't men also bleed if they get robbed and shot? In my younger years, men weren't supposed to admit to being afraid, even when their lives were at stake. But that's not what bravery is. To quote John Wayne: Courage isn't not being afraid. Courage is being scared to death, and saddling up anyway."

My question is, does a courageous, independent, assertive woman emasculate a man? If so, why?

Upvote 0

Mountain_Girl406

Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2015
✟144,014.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Courage, independence, and assertiveness are masculine traits.

Overemphasized masculinity is called machismo and isn't what this thread is about.
Those traits also describe many women. What makes them male specific?

Reactions: SnowyMacie
Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟335,689.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
My question is, does a courageous, independent, assertive woman emasculate a man? If so, why?
Good question because I see that as being the case in a lot of instances. The onus should be on the one 'made' to feel that way. Not the onus on the one just being themselves. Women in flat shoes type of thing. You cannot be comfortable unless catering to the male ego or shaming will be the result. Even tho it's done in a respectful way love is the farthest feeling reflected.

Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

God is perfect - Nothing is an accident
Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟572,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In the 1500's to the 1700's (possibly even longer), "civilized" European men dressed in ways that would be considered feminine by todays standards... So, sometimes I don't know what POV is natural, or by what cultural standards one should judge. I know what I prefer, which is not to be quite that 'showy'.

220px-Don_Juan_d'Austria_1.jpg

Diapositiva7.jpg

Diapositiva4.jpg

...Note, they're typically all carrying daggers and swords too, so you might assume they're not the type to shy away from a fight to the death either.

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

We shall see the King when he comes!
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tallguy88

We shall see the King when he comes!
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
In the 1500's to the 1700's (possibly even longer), "civilized" European men dressed in ways that would be considered feminine by todays standards... So, sometimes I don't know what POV is natural, or by what cultural standards one should judge. I know what I prefer, which is not to be quite that 'showy'.

View attachment 188010
View attachment 188011
View attachment 188012

...Note, they're typically all carrying daggers and swords too, so you might assume they're not the type to shy away from a fight to the death either.
This is about masculinity as it applies in a Christian context. Fopish Renaissance nobles don't factor into that discussion. I'd say they are outliers in dress. But this is more about behavior than dress.

Upvote 0

Anguspure

Kaitiaki Peacemakers NZ
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2011
New Zealand
✟125,935.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
We have threads saying masculinity can be negative. We have threads promoting the emasculating of men and saying they should wear makeup. Here's a thread on the virtues of masculinity in the Christian tradition.

Reflection: Feast of St. Joseph, A Tribute to Masculinity

Reflection: Feast of St. Joseph, A Tribute to Masculinity - Living Faith - Home & Family - News - Catholic Online
I sent this to my son a while ago, its one of the best explanations of Godly masculinity I've encountered:
http://www.aish.com/jl/l/bm/Being-a-Man.html#.WBj6YPDKPLs.mailto

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟572,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This is about masculinity as it applies in a Christian context. Fopish Renaissance nobles don't factor into that discussion. I'd say they are outliers in dress. But this is more about behavior than dress.

In that case, I would say honesty, uprightness, and of sound judgement, would be 3 qualities ideal of men -mostly of which St. Joseph would have surely displayed.

EDIT -- For the record, I would assume that overly wealthy, perhaps even spoiled Renassance nobles would have lacked in these qualities, being so overly concerned with their own appearance and/or status.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Tallguy88
Upvote 0

Anguspure

Kaitiaki Peacemakers NZ
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2011
New Zealand
✟125,935.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Interesting place to carry them, between their legs like that....

• Haha
Reactions: Landon Caeli
Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟572,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Interesting place to carry them, between their legs like that....

Didn't notice that... Just that they were on their sides is all.

...Very flamboyant people, they were.:D

Reactions: Anguspure
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Landon Caeli

Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟572,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
...Maybe the renaissance types, were a similar type of movement then, whose kind led up to the French Revolution, as the modern thing we're seeing going on today -where masculinity is downplayed.

...Just a thought.

...Equally absurd, yet so similar in so many ways.

Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟572,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Those are virtuous traits for anybody. They're not just masculine traits.

I disagree on assertiveness... I'm going to reject that and replace it with prudence.

Upvote 0

Cimorene

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2016
Toronto
✟246,655.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
I disagree on assertiveness... I'm going to reject that and replace it with prudence.

I thought about debating that one, but I see the point of it. I think it's a virtue if it's in check & if it's done with decency. Bc you can be assertive in a way that means you're kind, you're just not a pushover. You can be assertive in a way that you're mean & the one pushing people over. So 1 is a virtue, 1 is a vice.

Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟572,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I thought about debating that one, but I see the point of it. I think it's a virtue if it's in check & if it's done with decency. Bc you can be assertive in a way that means you're kind, you're just not a pushover. You can be assertive in a way that you're mean & the one pushing people over. So 1 is a virtue, 1 is a vice.

I don't know, sometimes I see assertive people who act or speak prematurely, showing a lack wisdom because they missed certain important details, or failed to think something all the way through. I tend to be not overly talkative, usually because I'm more prudent in thought and in conversation, and I see myself as a masculine person.

...As far as 'getting things done', though, I think that's where being assertive is a masculine trait.

Upvote 0