• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Christian husband smokes pot

claudiao

Sep 15, 2009
✟7,615.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My husband is a wonderful, incredible, Christ-loving man. We met in ministry and have been involved in ministry for the last 4 years we've been together. We have been married for 3 years.
I found out after we got engaged that my husband smokes marijuana 5+ times a day. At the time he told me that he would never smoke after marriage. He is successful at many things, but his relationship with others and his relationship with God are both severely damaged by his addiction. He has been smoking weed for 14 years, since middle school. I am deeply in love with him, and committed to him for the rest of my life. He is a wonderful, encouraging husband. NOBODY knows about his addiction besides me and his one non-christian friend. He is always stoned, and has gotten so used to it that nobody knows. He has tried to quit, but reasons himself out of it. I have been feeling very convicted lately because I don't know how to respond. Any Godly wisdom?

Jeffz

one man free
Sep 3, 2009
Union Grove, WI, USA
✟8,183.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Greetings to you this night, You said that no one knows except you and a friend, ah but there are others that know. God for one, and the enemy and his underlings. Secrets are never really secrets and they all get exposed eventually. Does your husband want to stop? Has he tried or asked for help if he does want to quit. It is definetly not a good witness and the enemy can accuse Him as long as He continues. I was a addict and addicted to many different types of chemicals. It took many afflictions to get me to turn to God, oh I knew that God could help me. The question was did I truly want to be free, for once free, if I turn back it gets worse. If your husband can truly get honest with himself I am sure that he does shame and guilt over being controlled by something other than the Holy Spirit. Continue to pray for Him that God will show him that he is falling short of all that God has for Him. Prayers are going up to God on your behalf that God would give you strength to stand firm in His love and Grace.

one man set free,
Jeffrey

Upvote 0

stelow

Legend
Sep 16, 2005
HEAVEN!!!
✟49,649.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Pray for him, encourage him to quit. It's really your call, but my main concern would be for you and the children, if you guys have any.

liz-howard-serenity-prayer-and-flowers.jpg

Upvote 0

chilehed

Veteran
Jul 31, 2003
Michigan
✟237,116.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
claudiao,

I'm sorry for your struggle. I wish that I could give you some words that would get your husband to stop, but I can't.

I can tell you that you can find support in the Nar-Anon and Al-Anon groups in your area. Those are 12-step fellowships similar to NA and AA, but oriented toward helping relatives and friends of addicts and alcoholics recover from the effects of living with an addict.

Nar-Anon is a smaller fellowship, and it's likely that you might not find meetings in your area. I have no doubt that you'd be welcome in Al-Anon and would find the support you need. I highly recommend that you give them a try.

www.nar-anon.org
Welcome to Al-Anon and Alateen

Upvote 0

TheMainException

Senior Veteran
Jun 13, 2004
In my universe
✟19,228.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Stand by him and continually let him know you love him. Being alone in a struggle like that is one of the very worst things. Having someone by me who wouldn't leave me no matter how bad into drugs and alcohol I would get kept me going and still does. Encourage him and keep letting him know that he can talk to you, that you want to understand why and what's going on and try to remain open and nonjudgemental. Only he can decide to change. No one can decide for him or it won't be a permanent search for a way out. He'll go right back to it if it's someone else's decision. But stand there with him in his struggle.

Upvote 0

Mayflower1

Hello my Name is "Child of the One True King"
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2005
Heaven of course!
✟117,723.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
all I know is that with God all things are possible. and one of my favorite verses is, "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13. My struggle was self-injury, and it was hard, but I overcame. Through Christ, what is broken can be restored through Jesus... I don't know much about substance abuse, but I know by the prayers of my Mom, sister, brother, and friends and family, an effective prayer of a righteous man can accomplish much. I am saved! :hug: don't lose hope. Shara:angel:

Upvote 0