1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christian Behavior Chart

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by Stegallmom, Jul 14, 2004.

1. Stegallmom

Stegallmom New Member

Faith:
    Christian
    I heard about a behavior chart that you fill in for your child that is kind of like a cause and effect chart. For ex.: If you don't clean your room, then you have 1 day without tv. This is followed by a Bible verse that kinda goes along with it. Has anyone else heard of this and can tell me where to find it?

2. mcb1998au

mcb1998au New Member

Faith:
    Catholic
    I have never heard of this but i assume it would not be too hard to make one yourself. Just an idea.

3. Leigh Ann Wayne

Leigh Ann Wayne New Member

Faith:
    Christian
    We have that chart (the "if-then chart") & several of our friends do, too. It is a nice tool. Doorposts puts it out. You can get on line (doorposts.net) & order directly from them. They have several really good resources. Happy parenting!!

4. bliz

bliz Contributor

Faith:
    Christian
    Frankly, I think that parents often use the Bible to beat up on kids and then we wonder why they do not care for the things of the Lord.

I know... People think I am way overstating the issue and being way too serious... But, imagine, if you will, that your husband were to leave you a list of things that needed to be accomplished at home today, and by each item was Bible verse.

Do laundry. "Wash your hands, you sinners." James 4:8
    Call the plumber. "The have forsaken me... and have dug their own cisterns,
    cisterns that cannot hold water" Jeremiah 2:13
    Go to the bank "Godliness is a means to financial gain." I Timothy 6:5

Not only is there some abuse of scripture going on there, how does this make feel about your spouse who gives you such a list?

Yes, God is clear that children are to obey their parents. But that is not a weapon we should use as we take on the task of civilizing our children.

I thinks charts can be a great parenting tool. I think children will benifit greatly from memoriziing scripture. I am just none too fond of combinging them both.

5. retooferab

retooferab Disciple

Faith:
    Christian
    bliz, you are about 10 years wiser than me... hehe... What you say makes a lot of sense! I wouldn't mind seeing the resource first in order to measure it, but I'm glad you raised this point. Last thing I want is my children resenting God and all He stands for by the time they leave my house!

Peace,
    :) Retoof

6. mcb1998au

mcb1998au New Member

Faith:
    Catholic

I couldnt agree more, i think too many people use the Bible as a parenting manual. As for using a chart i tried to encourage my son to use the toilets at school but he refused and was hanging on all day ( he just started school this year, he is 5). I thought if i bought a nice big piece of coloured cardboard and some brightly coloured sticky stars and we could chart when he used the toilet at school. We would put a star on the chart each time and when he had 100 stars he would get an x-box. He so wanted the x-box but wasnt prepared to use the school toilets, he is very stubborn, i thought it was a good idea. He has been at school now for 7 months and still wont go. God Bless. Sue.

7. Teacher4God

Teacher4God New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Doorposts.com has it. I was serching for it when I found your question so when I found it I had to come back and tell you! I would love to know if this is what you were looking for!

8. b.hopeful

b.hopeful Sharp as a razor, soft as a prayer

Faith:
    UnitedChurchOfChrist
    Bliz is very wise!!