1. New: Christian Forums Staff Recruit Video.- It's that time of year again. We are having our annual Staff Recruit Drive. Simply ask any staffer to help you apply and enjoy the video...
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Please help us test our new CF PrayPal app available right now in the Google Play store for Android devices. The iPhone app should be available within the next few days. If you would be so kind to also add a review for it that would be great! Thanks!

Just Click Here
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Welcome to Christian Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
  • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
  • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting after you have posted 20 posts and have received 5 likes.
  • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christian Behavior Chart

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by Stegallmom, Jul 14, 2004.

1. Stegallmom

Stegallmom New Member

Faith:
    Christian
    I heard about a behavior chart that you fill in for your child that is kind of like a cause and effect chart. For ex.: If you don't clean your room, then you have 1 day without tv. This is followed by a Bible verse that kinda goes along with it. Has anyone else heard of this and can tell me where to find it?

2. mcb1998au

mcb1998au New Member

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Catholic
    I have never heard of this but i assume it would not be too hard to make one yourself. Just an idea.

3. Leigh Ann Wayne

Leigh Ann Wayne New Member

Faith:
    Christian
    We have that chart (the "if-then chart") & several of our friends do, too. It is a nice tool. Doorposts puts it out. You can get on line (doorposts.net) & order directly from them. They have several really good resources. Happy parenting!!

4. bliz

bliz Contributor

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Christian
    Frankly, I think that parents often use the Bible to beat up on kids and then we wonder why they do not care for the things of the Lord.

I know... People think I am way overstating the issue and being way too serious... But, imagine, if you will, that your husband were to leave you a list of things that needed to be accomplished at home today, and by each item was Bible verse.

Do laundry. "Wash your hands, you sinners." James 4:8
    Call the plumber. "The have forsaken me... and have dug their own cisterns,
    cisterns that cannot hold water" Jeremiah 2:13
    Go to the bank "Godliness is a means to financial gain." I Timothy 6:5

Not only is there some abuse of scripture going on there, how does this make feel about your spouse who gives you such a list?

Yes, God is clear that children are to obey their parents. But that is not a weapon we should use as we take on the task of civilizing our children.

I thinks charts can be a great parenting tool. I think children will benifit greatly from memoriziing scripture. I am just none too fond of combinging them both.

5. retooferab

retooferab Disciple

Faith:
    Christian
    bliz, you are about 10 years wiser than me... hehe... What you say makes a lot of sense! I wouldn't mind seeing the resource first in order to measure it, but I'm glad you raised this point. Last thing I want is my children resenting God and all He stands for by the time they leave my house!

Peace,
    :) Retoof

6. mcb1998au

mcb1998au New Member

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Catholic

I couldnt agree more, i think too many people use the Bible as a parenting manual. As for using a chart i tried to encourage my son to use the toilets at school but he refused and was hanging on all day ( he just started school this year, he is 5). I thought if i bought a nice big piece of coloured cardboard and some brightly coloured sticky stars and we could chart when he used the toilet at school. We would put a star on the chart each time and when he had 100 stars he would get an x-box. He so wanted the x-box but wasnt prepared to use the school toilets, he is very stubborn, i thought it was a good idea. He has been at school now for 7 months and still wont go. God Bless. Sue.

7. Teacher4God

Teacher4God New Member

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Baptist
    Doorposts.com has it. I was serching for it when I found your question so when I found it I had to come back and tell you! I would love to know if this is what you were looking for!

8. b.hopeful

b.hopeful Sharp as a razor, soft as a prayer

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    UnitedChurchOfChrist
    Bliz is very wise!!