Christian author has problem with conservatives.

Johnboy60

Looking For Interesting News.
Dec 28, 2003
Tennessee
✟306,929.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
ORLANDO, Florida (AP) -- Donald Miller still loves God and Jesus. Don't misunderstand him.

His problem is with Christianity, at least how it's often practiced.

"It's a dangerous term so I try to avoid it," said Miller, who considered giving up his career as a Christian writer and leaving the church in 2003 because he couldn't attend services without getting angry.

For him, the word conjured up conservative politics, suburban consumerism and an "insensitivity to people who aren't like us."

To quell his rage, he sat in his boxer shorts and banged out a memoir of his experiences with God, stripped of the trappings of religion.

"Blue Like Jazz: Nonreligious Thoughts on Christian Spirituality" sold just enough to pay a few months rent. Then five years later, spurred by a grass-roots movement of 20-something Christians longing to connect to God without ties to the religious right, the book became a sudden hit.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/LIVING/wayoflife/01/24/best.selling.christian.ap/index.html

Meshavrischika

for Thy greater honor and glory
Jun 12, 2007
OK
✟35,603.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
i appreciate the idea... but i think he's missed the point. life is perfect, but not because we're perfect or our lives are perfect, but because He is perfect in us. so... no one should really care about pot smoking, etc. religion is what cares about that.

Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟106,997.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
i appreciate the idea... but i think he's missed the point. life is perfect, but not because we're perfect or our lives are perfect, but because He is perfect in us. so... no one should really care about pot smoking, etc. religion is what cares about that.
Surely you meant that life is not perfect? :scratch: :confused:

Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
✟106,997.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
nope. life is perfect if He is in it. the rest of it does not matter. :) it's a place that i've gotten to and i like it.
Ummm, I hate to tell you this but life is never perfect, with or without Him. If it was, life would be called Heaven.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
✟106,997.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
eh... we're different. that's okay. but I am where I am and it's cool for me. :)
Well that's good but it does no good for you to go around saying that life is perfect for a Christian when it most clearly is not for billions of people.

Upvote 0

Meshavrischika

Jun 12, 2007
OK
✟35,603.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Well that's good but it does no good for you to go around saying that life is perfect for a Christian when it most clearly is not for billions of people.
it does no good to diminish an experience because you don't share it.... maybe allowing others to be different, even when they too have trials... would do everyone some good

Upvote 0

Dannager

Back in Town
May 5, 2005
✟11,819.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Democrat
What an interesting sort of theology you've found yourself in.

Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
✟106,997.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
it does no good to diminish an experience because you don't share it.... maybe allowing others to be different, even when they too have trials... would do everyone some good
You are right. But your statement of saying life is perfect when in Him seemed to be blanket statementing all Christians. That is wrong.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Meshavrischika

Jun 12, 2007
OK
✟35,603.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
You are right. But your statement of saying life is perfect when in Him seemed to be blanket statementing all Christians. That is wrong.
i know my truth. that was my blanket statement. i'm sorry you don't know it too. it's wonderful.

Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
✟106,997.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
i know my truth. that was my blanket statement. i'm sorry you don't know it too. it's wonderful.
Somehow I highly doubt that you truly have a perfect life. Do you have a baby? Is your life so perfect when that baby cries??

Upvote 0

Meshavrischika

Jun 12, 2007
OK
✟35,603.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Somehow I highly doubt that you truly have a perfect life. Do you have a baby? Is your life so perfect when that baby cries??
you're missing the point that it's not that you don't "live life"... it's that you focus on what is important, and you have joy and peace despite your life and its problems

Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
✟106,997.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
you're missing the point that it's not that you don't "live life"... it's that you focus on what is important, and you have joy and peace despite your life and its problems
Ummm ok. Well, I do have joy and peace despite my problems. Though frequently my life is interrupted by depression and sad feelings. I guess that's just the "perfect" life of a devout Catholic such as me. You know, I didn't do anything to deserve depression. My life is far from perfect, unlike yours. And yet I am just as devout a Christian as you are. Why is that? Does God have favorites or something??

Upvote 0

Meshavrischika

Jun 12, 2007
OK
✟35,603.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Ummm ok. Well, I do have joy and peace despite my problems. Though frequently my life is interrupted by depression and sad feelings. I guess that's just the "perfect" life of a devout Catholic such as me. You know, I didn't do anything to deserve depression. My life is far from perfect, unlike yours. And yet I am just as devout a Christian as you are. Why is that? Does God have favorites or something??
sorry you're defensive. it's a shame that you have to get that way.

Upvote 0