Visit site
✟7,962.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Others
I've spent the past couple of weeks trying to figure out which bible translation I should read, as I want to start reading the bible daily, but I'm still stumped! While I am a Catholic, I have also been questioning if I'm one for the right reasons (another post for another day I suppose).

Currently at home I have KJV, RSV and RSV-CE (missing pages though). My Catholic friends I've talked to say without question, Douay-Rheims is THE bible to read, although I'm uncertain as others claim it's difficult to understand. I've contacted a few Catholic churches who have suggested the NIV (which they use), another suggested either the NRSV-CE or the New Jerusalem Bible Catholic Edition to start off with. According to the Canadian Conference of Catholic Bishops, the NRSV (non-CE?) is the approved version in Canada.

I won't ask which is the best translation (as that is subjective, and prone to long debates), however I am curious as to which translation(s) you read (Catholics or non-Catholics) and why/how you chose it. (I'm not overly crazy about modern translations, simply because of the inclusive language).

Sorry if this is in the wrong thread, I wasn't quite sure where it belongs.

May 31, 2013
Northeast
✟25,273.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I have a few translations at hand: KJV, RSV, and Jerusalem 1966 edition. The last does not employ inclusive language; the post-'66 editions did. It's very readable, while still having the authority of the "heavier" KJV and RSV. I didn't really get the full impact of Romans until I read the '66 Jerusalem translation. It blasted though Paul's opaqueness in the KJV and RSV, and totally hit home with me. I would've bought it for Romans alone.

http://www.ewtnreligiouscatalogue.com/Home+Page/BOOKS/Bibles/THE+JERUSALEM+BIBLE.axd

My only two complaints re. this specific printing are 1) the print is small and sometimes inconsistent, and 2) the footnotes are tiny. If you can put up with that, however, then I'd say go for it. IMO the "net out" is a huge positive.

Upvote 0

BFine

Seed Planter
Jul 19, 2011
My room
✟11,098.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
I currently use these Bibles:
Geneva, Hebrew, NLT, NIV study bible,
HCSB, Good News, CEV, Amplified(depends
upon the verse of scripture I'm studying.)

*I use the older translations...I made that
choice after I was bit more mature in the
faith...and I enjoy doing research.

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I would encourage using several translations to find the one you get the most out of. At biblegateway.com you have access to dozens, and you can set up parallel versions on a page and compare as you read. BlueLetterBible.com is good for original language definitions. I use theWord (theword.net) Bible program and have about a dozen translations, including "literals" and original languages, everything free, and word definitions and grammar parsing are all clickable (or even just hoverable), and commentary windows scroll with the Bible text.

But to your question, I mostly use the ESV. Very good translation, and they are very generous with it. I suppose it's at least somewhat inclusive though.

Upvote 0

ValleyGal

Dec 19, 2012
✟114,245.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Divorced
For my general reading, I like using NIV (the one from the 80's although my pastor and his wife say the newer one is more accurate). I use it because it was the one pastors used back in the 80's, and it was convenient for me to use the same one so I could follow along. Since I've been reading it for so many years, I just stick to it because that's what I'm used to. However, I used to know a Bible translator who said the NIV is most accurate thought for thought, but the NASB is most accurate word for word, so I started reading that one too. As I grew in my faith, I started questioning the original meanings of certain words and phrases, so I started using some resource material, like a Greek Theological Dictionary, Bible handbooks, other translations, etc.

I think the most important thing is that you choose a Bible that resonates with the language that you use, one you find easiest to understand, and just recognize that no one specific translation will be absolutely perfect in order to capture all the linguistic nuances of the original documents.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟283,912.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Wrexscar

May 15, 2008
Wales
✟15,375.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Greens
For everyday reading I mostly use the NIV. I have several other translations for studying.
My Pastor changes his version every two years. Once the text grows familiar to him he swaps so it still has an impact and makes him question himself.
The only translations I don't use are KJV and such. I don't speech seventeenth century English much as I don't speech biblical Greek so I need a translation written in my language.

As such I do use paraphrases although it's important to remember the distinction between a paraphrase and translation. They can be a useful tool at certain times.

Upvote 0

Fortran

Oct 10, 2013
Rural Missouri, United States
✟12,374.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I often do my Bible reading on theWord software and switch between translations while doing so. Currently, I find myself most often using the HCSB. This is probably because, of the versions readily accessible while using the program's default settings, it is the one most different from the versions I am most accustomed to - the KJV and NKJV.

Sometimes I think familiarity with a passage leads on to just kind of "brush" over the text. While I personally do not condone translations such as The Message or the ideas behind them, I do think reading a familiar passage in a form that is novel can lead to deeper understanding and study.

I own physical copies of a KJV, NKJV, and a Revised Standard Version. Overall, I would say the NKJV version is my favorite.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I read the KJV.
I didnt choose it, God chose for me.
But..i do know when I was reading the NIV that it wasnt quite right and had to go with an older bible. It makes a big difference, and anything I dont understand I ask God to show me, usually another scripture will illuminate it further down or if im really stuck I go online on bible hub to compare translations. But I find I dont need to do that very often. Usually its the other way round, if someone quotes another translations I go to the KJV to find out what it says.

Btw i am not catholic. I have tried reading the catholic version of the bible but it has these extra books and it just didnt speak to me like KJV.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

camperdown9

Sep 9, 2010
England
✟15,206.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
When I was a kid The Good News bible was the version that schools and many churches used. As I got older the NIV became more popular. Then we had a change of clergy and the NASB became our church at the time's preferred version. Then we moved churches and the version used at the new church was the TNIV. Then we moved again and it was the NRSV. A church that I go to for mid week bible study uses the ESV. (have you got a headache yet?)

I recently started to use the KJV and was kind of surprised that it wasn't as difficult to understand as I expected. I don't use it exclusively. I tend to use it with the ESV. However my personal view is that new translations come and go and in 50 years there will be a stack of new translations and the ESV/NIV/NSRV/NASB etc will just be out of print books and the KJV will still be around.

Because there are so many translations it can be very easy to get caught up in studying the translations rather than the word of God. Personal opinion pick one and stick to that as your bible and think of other translations that you might own as just reference books.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I am surprised your Catholic sources did not recommend the New American Bible, St Joseph's Ed. I have one and it is good.

But my pref is the New American Standard (not the same as the NAB) and the New King James. they are both good and come from different Greek manuscript families so it is often useful to compare the differences.

Not fond of the NIV as it has always seemed to water down the language. And the HCSB seems too biased in favor of Baptist theology for my taste.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I use the Complete Jewish Bible (CJB), which included both the OT and NT, because it places a lot of importance on the Jewish cultural context in which the events of the Bible take place, which adds a valuable perspective for how to correctly interpret it.
I agree that Jewish cultural context is important; but I would NOT try to get it from this translation. It is a work by David Sterns and in general single person translations are weaker than those produced by a team with different backgrounds. Also - Sterns has a BAD HABIT of writing his commentary right into the text of scripture; NEVER a good practice. Leave the commentary in the footnotes and sidebars.

If you want a good translation that is Jewish culture friendly, then try out the new Tree of Life bible.

Upvote 0

rivulet

I wish I had courage enough to be myself
Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
✟15,420.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
There's different kinds of translations out there:

Word-for-word is a Bible that takes every Hebrew and Greek word and translates it into an equivalent English word and then arranges the words appropriately. For example, a word for word my say, "100 sheckles". These bibles include KJV, NKJV and the NASB

A phrase-for-phrase is a Bible that translates each phrase or euphemism into an equivalent English phrase or euphemism. For example, a phrase-for-phrase might say, "one year's wage" instead of "100 sheckles". This would be like the NLT.

A paraphrase is not a considered a study translation but just a summary of each section. For example, The Message Bible.

Now, the NIV (1984) was really liked because it was an amalgamation of both phrase-for-phrase and Word-for-word. But Biblical Inc stopped the publication of the NIV1984 for the NIV2011. I don't like the 2011 because it takes out gender language and I find that rather presumptuous.

I read the NKJV, myself because I prefer a literal translation. I also like the Holman's Christian Standard Bible. It was published by the Baptist Church when they found out that NIV was going to change the gender language. In the HCSB, you will find more use of God's name and such.

I don't know much about Catholic translations but if you haven't done much Bible reading, I suggest starting with the NLT and in John. Then go to the NIV1984 and then to the NKJV. I love BlueLetterBible as well and now they have an app!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Odetta

Thankful for grace
Jan 24, 2014
Georgia
✟32,318.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I've used NASB for a long time, and now I'm switching it up. In the past I have also used NIV and HSCB. I just bought an ESV journaling bible. I am not a fan of KJV because I get caught up in just trying to figure out the archaic language rather than what God is actually saying in the Word.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Haha well archaic words dont bother me. God can be archaic if He wants to be.
The worst translation Ive come acrosss is The Message, which is not even, a real translation just a paraphrase and got all sorts of hokey americanisms and new age fluff in it. It was trying to be modern.
Then theres LOLcat bible.

Youd have to know a bit of lolcat to make sense of it.
I found NIV had bits missing, or they put it in tiny footnotes at the bottom.

Best advice is ask God which one to read and He will show you. He will.

Upvote 0

Unix

Hebr incl Sirach&epigraph, Hermeneut,Ptolemy,Samar
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
ECC,Torah:ModeCommenta,OTL,AY BC&RL,Seow a ICC Job
Visit site
✟139,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
(Now I edited this post to make some clarifications - some which I didn't mark as edits, formatting and correction of a link.)
For the New Testament, the main version I use and recommend, is the 1971 RSV 2nd Edition. As Your's is falling apart, You should order a replacement New Testament, see: http://www.orthodoxmarketplace.com/...-testament-and-psalms-leadership-100-rsv.html ... obviously less bulky to carry than the 66-book Bible. I'm ordering several of it now. It's better than the Catholic Edition due to being more up-to-date. It distinguishes in a proper way when someone talks to God, it's consistently close to the Greek while not having complete nonsense English grammar, it is a fully supported New Testament version as there's for example a Reverse Interlinear that can be bought separately in a Bible Study software and there are many monographs and commentaries based on or using/commenting (on) it.
Another one that I use for parts of the New Testament, is the 2002 Revised English Bible (REB). It has excellent scholarship, good textual base, appropriate gender/gender-neutral language, and is many times excellent for some of the Pauline Epistles and Apocrypha, for example 1 Thess, 2 Mc, and the meaning given is clearly communicated.
For Jn chapter 1 I use the 1929 International Critical Commentary (original series) by Bernard because the translation of Jn 1:18 in it is the very best according to PrincentonGuy here on the forums.
I'm going to work on doing a translation with commentary of Jn 2-5 which I will eventually publish in a book together with many other things, but it'll take some time, I estimate it to 2031. I will use several languages as sources which I've barely looked at, currently I'm pursuing learning Hebrew starting from August 2015 and on. I take Hebrew because that's the language in which the most part of the Bible was written down and I find a lot in those books.
For Jn 4:35-36 I use James Moffatt New Translation (MNT). For a study on why, see: EDIT July 15. link updated to the new forum software: In May 2014 I had a Messianic....
I have several major commentaries for Jn but I don't use the translations in them, in fact for the rest of Jn I'm using the 1971 RSV 2nd Edition. EDIT July 15.: I have for example the most massive introductions, one was published in the early '00s and was intended as a whole new Edition in the Anchor Yale Bible Commentary series but just the introduction got finished and therefore published under a different publisher before the author died, the other one is in the Eerdmans Critical Commentaries -series.
I will also look at text critical work - the expenses for that vary, some of it is even free to access, some costs a lot so many times I have to be selective what to research whether it bears and relevance (I don't bother to think a lot about the significance, I do the work I'm able to do and let others judge what parts (words, verses) have significance). The quickest look at the variants in the New Testament is the Comprehensive New Testament (called Comprehensive Crossrefs in Accordance) which I have both as printed matter and in that Bible Study software.
For a list of for which parts of the New Testament I use commentaries for the English translation, see: http://www.christianforums.com/threads/which-bible-translation-do-you-use.7555317/#post-66764747 ... there's also about Mt (and which version to use for some few verses at a time).
For Sirach I use the NRSV since it's about the only version that translates all of the Hebrew found and the gender-neutral language doesn't get too bothersome in that book.
For Gn I use the work called Torah: A Modern Commentary, that's the very best version for that book - have a look at what Jewish group produced it! It's not available separately - (and only the Gn in it is their own translation, the translation for the rest of the Pentateuch tris a different version not made by them).
For Ps 4 I use the original English Jerusalem Bible because a frequent helpful user (Martha = MJ. Smith) on a Bible Study software forum prefers it for that chapter.
For Ps 127 I use the NJB because of another recommendation (Dan Francis).
For the rest of the Pss I will compare the 2014 New International Commentary on the Old Testament -volume which is by three authors, with the 2010 NABRE.

Another version I sometimes use, is the 2004 Good News Translation 3rd Edition UK-English 66-book Bible because it's pretty unbiased and I have a tool for it: the United Bible Societies Translator's Handbooks (I don't have the complete Old Testament Handbooks set just some volumes, but I think I have the complete New Testament and Apocrypha). If You want it in a Bible Study software, go either to https://community.logos.com/forums/p/48720/595133.aspx ... and post requesting that particular version and Edition, or go to http://www.accordancebible.com/forums and create a thread in Feature/Module requests!
And of course, I will look into using NETS = New English Translation of the Septuagint (that's not at all the same as NET), because of the textual basis: the most complete Edition of the two Göttingen Septuagint Editions.

For some parts of the 38-book Old Testament and for Philemon (and for Hebrews 1:1-9:14 which I don't read that much) I use very recent or fairly recent commentaries for the English translation, see: http://www.christianforums.com/threads/what-bible-translation-do-you-prefer.7860715/#post-66953200 (there's also which version to use for some few verses at a time).

I often use the NABRE for many parts of the 38-book Old Testament since it's one of the very few very recent acceptable Old Testament versions. EDIT July 15.: I find it to be less biased than for example the ESV or the NLT.
At a later stage, if I get hold of him which I probably will I know he is busy many times, I'll talk to childofdust and ask for permission to cite his forthcoming Old Testament version in my book.

I've also worked on a list of what Bible versions, commentaries, etc. that I don't use: http://www.christianforums.com/threads/what-bible-s-do-you-use.7831213/page-2#post-67262323
I have both the NIV84 and the newest enhanced Edition of NIV11 in the Accordance Bible Study software but these two are not among my favourites, I just thought I had to have them (I bought them used, then upgraded the NIV11 to NIV11-GKE) and was a little curious about the 2015 Edition Goodrick-Kohlenberger Enhanced word numbering system which I use which is available there for the 2011 Edition:
Currently at home I have KJV, RSV and RSV-CE (missing pages though). My Catholic friends I've talked to say without question, Douay-Rheims is THE bible to read, although I'm uncertain as others claim it's difficult to understand. I've contacted a few Catholic churches who have suggested the NIV (which they use), another suggested either the NRSV-CE or the New Jerusalem Bible Catholic Edition to start off with. According to the Canadian Conference of Catholic Bishops, the NRSV (non-CE?) is the approved version in Canada.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,308.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
You might find the following interesting: http://ancienthebrewpoetry.typepad....sv-encounters-resistance-among-catholics.html. It discusses this issue from a Catholic perspective. Make sure you read the discussion and not just the original article. You'll see that a lot depends upon your perspective on the Catholic faith. If you are very traditionalist, you might use Douay-Rheims. If you are see the faith from the perspective of ecumenical, moderately liberal scholarship, you might prefer the NRSV or RSV-CE. If you want something that is specifically Catholic, probably the NAB. Catholic scholars tend to have little to separate them from liberal Protestant scholars. But the hierarchy are still committed to traditional concepts of gender, and thus have been hard to sell on the gender-neutral approach.

Reactions: Reep
Upvote 0

Reep

✞ ~Catholic~ ✞
Jul 7, 2015
Canada
Visit site
✟7,962.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Others
Thanks for the link, I'll have a bit of reading to do later.
I think what I was stuck on, is tradition vs. modern. I would prefer something more traditional, but also I would rather have something (at this point) that is easier to understand, which means a more modern translation.
Thanks again.

Upvote 0