China defends right to police Internet

Machjo said:
I'm for intellectual freedom. But what is there of intellectual worth in inappropriate contentographic pictures?
One man's trash is annother man's treasure.

Besides, in order for YOU to have the freedom to read what you want, its vital that other people have that same right. If you start censoring inappropriate content, it could lead to the censoring of nude artworks, then possibly artworks in general because art could be a used to convey inappropriate contentographic immages. Then books, because they could also be used to convey inappropriate contentography.

The point is that intellectual freedom means that EVERYBODDY gets to see what they want to see. If its inappropriate content, its inappropriate content. If its The Communist Manifesto, then its the Communist Manifesto. If its War and Peace, its War and Peace.

Its like a game of Jenga, you can only take certain things away before the whole thing falls down.

Upvote 0

Quantos

Sock ? What Sock
Mar 6, 2005
Earth for now
✟33,990.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Machjo said:
OK, now we're picking at details. I don't know exactly where to draw the line, but certainly it needs to be drawn somewhere, as long as the general population can agree with how that line is clearly defined.
the general population of wat country ?
The USA ? thell allow anything just about
Cuba ? might not approve of quite as much
A hard core Islimac country that bans christiaity ?

Upvote 0

Quantos

Sock ? What Sock
Mar 6, 2005
Earth for now
✟33,990.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Machjo said:
I suppose there are cultural differences at work here. Some countries would in fact want to allow anything, whereas others would expect controls. So I suppose it would simply have to be accepted that different cultures do not perceive these things the same way.
Bingo :) That's what's going on now.

We allow any form of govermental news, China dose not.
To comply with the Laws of a country that has restrictions, google as modified it google.ch version to comply with the restricions that that Goverment has placed. We may not like the goverments laws, but whild doing business in that county, we are expected to obay its laws.

Upvote 0

Machjo

Veteran
Oct 29, 2004
✟2,681.00
Faith
Other Religion
Quantos said:
Bingo :) That's what's going on now.

We allow any form of govermental news, China dose not.
To comply with the Laws of a country that has restrictions, google as modified it google.ch version to comply with the restricions that that Goverment has placed. We may not like the goverments laws, but whild doing business in that county, we are expected to obay its laws.

But it seems some in the US disagree with this notion and believe that US law applies the world over with no other government, peoplel or culture being relevant. Neo-colonialism at its best.

Upvote 0