Veteran
Oct 29, 2004
✟2,681.00
Faith
Other Religion
Hmmm... I just accessed this too:

http://www.tibet.com/DL/

Hmmm...

Maybe the Chinese government knows that I'm really stupid and, as it was observing all my internet use and realised that I wasn't a threat, they decided to give more access than most would in the hopes that I would then start showing off to all of you just how much I can access as part of their propaganda campaign. And fool that I was, I just bit hook and worm.

That must be it. Silly me. Hmmmm.... I guess I'll have to see if I can still access these sites at the local library and not just form my own home computer to prove that one I suppose.

Upvote 0

Rochir

By Grabthar's hammer ... YES.WEEK.END!
Sep 27, 2004
In your lap
Visit site
✟31,151.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
InnerPhyre said:
If you want to see how bad this is, go to www.google.com and do an image search for Tiananmen Square

See the pics of the people being massacred and standing down tanks?

Ok now go to the Chinese google site www.google.cn and run an image search for the same term... Tiananmen Square

Notice the difference in images? It's pretty scary.

Some other terms to try that produce interesting results are "Dalai Lama" and "George Bush"

on google.cn an image search for Dalai Lama returns tons of photos, but NONE of the Dalai Lama himself. The first image returned for the George Bush search is Bush standing before a Nazi flag offering a nazi salute...the next is a photoshopped image of him kissing Dick Cheney. Scary stuff. Seriously, try it.

Try google for certain White Supremacist sites and you won't get any results from google either. So much for freedom of expression in the USA (and the same goes for the German version of google). I'm sure Google.com also blocks any Communist sites!

Upvote 0

Machjo

Veteran
Oct 29, 2004
✟2,681.00
Faith
Other Religion
http://www.resist.com/

You mean stuff like this?

And I can open that page too.

Now don't get me wrong here. There is sensorship, but it's not nearly as bad as the US propaganda machine makes it out to be. I'm in China and accessing christianforums.com right now, just something to think about.

Upvote 0

Rochir

Sep 27, 2004
In your lap
Visit site
✟31,151.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Helo said:
Yes, how DARE the Chinese run thier country contrary to what you see fit, the nerve of some people.

YEAH!!! Let's invade and bring them commies some humane values as those espoused in Guantanamo!:clap:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Machjo

Veteran
Oct 29, 2004
✟2,681.00
Faith
Other Religion
Helo said:
Invade China? HAH! The People's Liberation Army is ranked first in the world. The United States Armed Forces is ranked fourth.

The Chinese have 2,500,000 active troops. The US has 1,400,000 active troops.

I don't know about military capability here, but even assuming the US did occupy China, then what?

First off, most Chinese I've met would not approve of giving too much freedom of religious expression yet. And as for allowing regions such as Tibet, Xinjiang, Inner Mongolia, Taiwan etc. to break away, most are extremely emotional about the issue.

So just as Iraq has now voted in a government warming to Shari'a, so a democratic China would probably not be so much different from what it is now, not to mention that Chinese pride would have been wounded resulting bad relations between the two countries to time to come. Not to mention that shoudl China suddenly fall into civil war because of this, they would hate the US for generations to come! And what's to say democracy would replace the current regime? What about a far right nationalist regime. It's would be much more unpredictable than you could ever immagine; le't just go with gradual change shall we.

Upvote 0

simplicity

incredibly ordinary member
Jun 29, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
✟3,507.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I guess the Chinese are primarily interested in high-traffic subversive elements of society which by nature can be identified by high-traffic. But at least the Chinese officials have identified the inherent value of the Internet. Personally I would get rid of a fair number of sites. We all know the Internet has abundant amounts of socially abrasive and unhealthy materials such as inappropriate content.

Upvote 0

Rochir

Sep 27, 2004
In your lap
Visit site
✟31,151.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
simplicity said:
I guess the Chinese are primarily interested in high-traffic subversive elements of society which by nature can be identified by high-traffic.

Hmmmm, a certain message board I know of, with more than 100k members, seems to have a LOT of traffic! ;)

Upvote 0

Machjo

Veteran
Oct 29, 2004
✟2,681.00
Faith
Other Religion
Rochir said:
Hmmmm, a certain message board I know of, with more than 100k members, seems to have a LOT of traffic! ;)

And here I am, in China, posting mesage in this very forum;)

Looks like a few US representatives are huffing and puffing for political brownie points from the unthinking masses rather than doing their homework.

I mean, for crying out loud. The US doesn't even need a spy for this. All it needs to do is choose a random tourist who's planning to visit China anyway, tell him to surf the net while inChina and see what he can access, report back at the end of the trip, and the US will give him 100$ for his efforts.

Now what's a hundred dollars of the US budget to get the truth about China's internet. Are your politicians really that incompetent that they couldn't even think of such a simple solution to getting accurate informaiton about China's real internet situation? Or are they too lazy and would rather rely on info from the national enquirer?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JPPT1974

April Showers and Easter 2024!
Mar 18, 2004
Small Town, USA
✟569,761.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
China does anything but police the internet
If you think the internet inappropriate content is bad in the USA,
It is just a cakewalk, compared to the inappropriate content that they have.
But also they shouldn't tell others what to see and hear.
They have no right to do so.

Upvote 0
C

cobaltburrito

China does anything but police the internet
If you think the internet inappropriate content is bad in the USA,
It is just a cakewalk, compared to the inappropriate content that they have.
But also they shouldn't tell others what to see and hear.
They have no right to do so.
Absolutely correct. Now, if only everyone in the USA held that view about legislating what we can see and hear here.

Upvote 0

Machjo

Veteran
Oct 29, 2004
✟2,681.00
Faith
Other Religion
Strangely enough though, I am in favour of the government sensoring inappropriate content. Now I can say that the Chinese government ought to do more about this, but honestly I don't think any government can sensor the internet effectively without international cooperation. So it's not entirely their fault; all governments are to blame for this one.

Upvote 0
C

cobaltburrito

Strangely enough though, I am in favour of the government sensoring inappropriate content. Now I can say that the Chinese government ought to do more about this, but honestly I don't think any government can sensor the internet effectively without international cooperation. So it's not entirely their fault; all governments are to blame for this one.
So you are in favor of censoring information and media that you do not agree with?

Upvote 0