China charges HK reporter as spy

MalcolmX

Jul 31, 2005
✟562.00
Faith
Catholic
China charges HK reporter as spy

China has formally charged Hong Kong journalist Ching Cheong, 55, with spying for its rival Taiwan, the state news agency Xinhua has reported.

Mr Ching, the chief China correspondent for Singapore's Straits Times, had been detained since late April.

China accuses him of buying information and passing it to Taiwan's intelligence services over a period of five years from 2000 to March 2005.

If Mr Ching is convicted, he could face the death penalty.

winglovesall

Apr 26, 2005
✟18,968.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Let's get back to the topic --

It is interesting.

But first, we have to separate the opinions from the facts --
a) Hong Kong is an INTERNATIONAL city which enables people to speak out -- a city of freedom and democracy. Hong Kong has a totally separate system from CHINA (the system being the British Common Law and the British Legal System -- which is still used today until 2047) China is a Communist Nation. Hong Kong is not.
b) In China, you will be jailed for the rest of your life if you say something really bad about them -- In Hong Kong, that isn't the case -- you can criticise, you can say good things, you can say whatever.
c) China has a strong opinion that Taiwan is theirs and part of their country. In Hong Kong, there's an open view, open political discussions. It is different.
d) I must say -- many Hong Kong people use the opportunity because China thinks Hong Kong has a very safe system, a very regulated system and China trust Hong Kong in whatever Legal procedures taken.

I think this reporter would be the same as what I've mentioned -- He probably used the trust of the Chinese and did it.

Whether he should go to jail or not -- well, the Mainland Chinese says '" Yes " -- a question that still surrounds today in Hong Kong.

Upvote 0