Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
For people who don't really care about God or others' belief in God, some atheists sure do spend a lot of time talking about him.

I will say this - I wonder why everything had to be reviewed so much before allowing the ads up. Sure, I don't necessarily care for them, but if I can pay for an ad that says John 3:16, why can't someone else do the opposite, so to speak? Freedom of speech and all...

Upvote 0

Washington

Jul 3, 2003
Washington state
✟7,305.00
Faith
Agnostic
For people who don't really care about God or others' belief in God, some atheists sure do spend a lot of time talking about him.
As the article says, "Charlie Sitzes, a spokesman for the group from Indiana says that 'The intent of the campaign is to stimulate discussion of religion and its place in our society.' "

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

by his wounds we are healed
Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
As the article says, "Charlie Sitzes, a spokesman for the group from Indiana says that 'The intent of the campaign is to stimulate discussion of religion and its place in our society.' "

Yeah. Right. I've got a bridge for ya in my backyard if you believe that.

From their site:

Religions are human creations, like political and economic philosophies, literature, art, and science. They are a cultural development of humanity to explain (or explain away) the mysteries and/or suffering in the world. ”In the beginning, man created God” turns the creation myths on their head, putting God and religion in their place. If God didn’t create man, then a whole series of other beliefs are up for question, including the all-important issue ofmorality and whether it is God-given.

Doesn't seem like they're really interested in dialog on the subject. More like they just want to mock Christianity some more.

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Interesting. I suspect the next we hear of this will be when a good christian vandalizes one or more of them in the name of god. Or perhaps a nice boycott. If I could bet money I would.

Vandalism = bad.
Boycott = not so bad.

Both I'd find a bit distasteful. Christians don't have a monopoly on the use of public transportation as an advertisement.

Upvote 0

Washington

Jul 3, 2003
Washington state
✟7,305.00
Faith
Agnostic
Yeah. Right. I've got a bridge for ya in my backyard if you believe that.

From their site:

Doesn't seem like they're really interested in dialog on the subject. More like they just want to mock Christianity some more.
You mean like the way Christians sometimes mock the non-believer, particularly Muslims of late? Although I will grant that because of its intrinsic nature there is more to mock about Christianity than than there is about atheism.

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
You mean like the way Christians sometimes mock the non-believer, particularly Muslims of late? Although I will grant that because of its intrinsic nature there is more to mock about Christianity than than there is about atheism.

Ah, yes, a good old fashioned "you did it too" argument. Doesn't hold any moral weight, though.

Can't a person just be a person without having to mock others? And I mean that for both C's and Non-C's. It's a little ridiculous.

Upvote 0

Washington

Jul 3, 2003
Washington state
✟7,305.00
Faith
Agnostic
Ah, yes, a good old fashioned "you did it too" argument. Doesn't hold any moral weight, though.
Just thought it was an appropriate example of "He who lives in a glass house shouldn't throw stones."

Can't a person just be a person without having to mock others? And I mean that for both C's and Non-C's. It's a little ridiculous.
I agree. Mocking is just a means of upsetting the mocked. Although I will say that it does have its place, as when aimed at those who are so full of themselves as to invite episodes of regurgitation.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bigbadwilf

Drinking from the glass half-empty
Dec 22, 2008
Oxford, UK
✟8,706.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
I can't speak for Chicago, but the equivalent poster campaign in the UK as illustrated below:

2960671869_210c0b888f.jpg

Was pretty much a response to the profligation of adverts for the Alpha Course that seem to appear on every second or third bus, as so...

bus2.jpg

Going on the British experience, the response will be huffing and puffing and putting more adverts in more busses. Pretty much the only people who actually care about it after the initial novelty has worn off are the bus companies, who do quite well out of the increased advertising revenue, and the people paying...

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Just thought it was an appropriate example of "He who lives in a glass house shouldn't throw stones."

How about you deal with me specifically rather than your overgeneralized notions of Christianity? I haven't mocked anyone for their unbelief, though I have been mocked quite a bit.

I agree. Mocking is just a means of upsetting the mocked. Although I will say that it does have its place, as when aimed at those who are so full of themselves as to invite episodes of regurgitation.
No, there really is never a time when mocking has its place.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

blook

Sep 4, 2008
✟7,732.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Not in a free country. Mocking something as general as a religion should never be forbidden. Mocking a specific person, if this person isn't famous, is a different story. But in a free society everyone has the right to say everything he or she wishes, it does not matter what large group of people is offended.

Upvote 0

Washington

Jul 3, 2003
Washington state
✟7,305.00
Faith
Agnostic
How about you deal with me specifically rather than your overgeneralized notions of Christianity? I haven't mocked anyone for their unbelief, though I have been mocked quite a bit.
Are you looking for a toe-to-toe? The fact is, I have no reason to single you out, so why do you want me to? If you want to give me a reason I'll certainly listen, but I'm not promising anything.

No, there really is never a time when mocking has its place.
And I respectfully disagree.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

PreachersWife2004

Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Are you looking for a toe-to-toe? The fact is, I have no reason to single you out, so why do you want me to? If you want to give me a reason I'll certainly listen, but I'm not promising anything.

What I meant was, don't generalize me based on what you think you know about Christianity.

And I respectfully disagree.

Not a problem.

Upvote 0

Matthewj1985

Oct 7, 2008
Texas
✟1,669.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian

I will say this - I wonder why everything had to be reviewed so much before allowing the ads up. Sure, I don't necessarily care for them, but if I can pay for an ad that says John 3:16, why can't someone else do the opposite, so to speak? Freedom of speech and all...

I wonder why you don't subscribe to this view universally?

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
What's ridiculous is the idea that somehow religious beliefs are free from critical examination and nothing but the most flattering commentary on religion should be considered for public discourse.

This it's mockery stuff is nothing but insecurity.

I'm not insecure about my faith, not one bit. I was just pointing out that billboards like this don't really open the course of dialog about religion; rather they shut it down and they do seem to mock the message of Christianity.

I don't believe that religious beliefs are free from critical examination. Putting ads up on a bus just doesn't really qualify as "critical examination" to me.

And I wasn't. Sorry if I gave you that impression. :hug:

Okay, gotcha. No problemo.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.