Cherokees vote to display Ten Commandments.

Johnboy60

Looking For Interesting News.
Dec 28, 2003
Tennessee
✟306,929.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
'We are sovereign nation and can pretty much post anything we want'

If you are nostalgic for the days when the Ten Commandments were posted in public buildings, you might want to consider visiting the Eastern Band of the Cherokee Indians.

The tribal council is making plans to mount a copy of the Ten Commandments in the council house where government meetings are held, and possibly display them throughout other public buildings in the Cherokee Nation of western North Carolina.

The idea was introduced by Councilwoman Angela Kephart last month. She said the tribe should display the Ten Commandments out of respect and devotion to God. The motion passed unanimously.

http://worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=46488

notto

Legend
May 31, 2002
Visit site
✟22,369.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
A little bit longer article with some of the detail that WND left out.

http://www.smokymountainnews.com/issues/09_05/09_21_05/fr_cherokee_commandments.html

“I can’t think of a reason why anyone would want to do anything that violates the Constitution in principle, whether we have to abide by it or not,” said Hugh Lambert, a Cherokee tribal member. “It is an attempt to enforce religious beliefs on those who don’t necessarily believe in it. It is a parochial statement for a particular type of religious belief.”

Many tribal members saw the move to display the Ten Commandments as politically motivated. Lambert asked how many of the council members were truly motivated by what he called “heartfelt conviction?”

“I think it was election-time posturing,” Lambert said. “I think a show of piety is no substitute for substantive governing.”

Lambert said many tribal members feel the same way but are afraid to speak up. Lambert wrote a letter to the editor in the Cherokee newspaper, The Cherokee One Feather, and has been criticized in the community for his stance, even though he is baptized as a Christian himself.

Upvote 0

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟218,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
notto said:
“I can’t think of a reason why anyone would want to do anything that violates the Constitution in principle, whether we have to abide by it or not,” said Hugh Lambert, a Cherokee tribal member.'

Mr. Lambert ought to read the Constitution and see if there's anything in it that even vaguely prohibits the Cherokee tribal government, or any state gov't for that matter, from posting anything they like on tribal or state property. All that the Constitution has to say on the matter is this: "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof". Dat's it.

“It is an attempt to enforce religious beliefs on those who don’t necessarily believe in it. It is a parochial statement for a particular type of religious belief.”
There he is correct. My suggestion to him, given that he's a member in good standing of the tribe, is to work through the tribal gov't to get the thing removed if it offends him. That's how the political system is supposed to work, isn't it? If most of the Cherokees want the thing gone, then they can certainly have it removed. If they don't, then why should the Great White Father in Washington City stick his nose in where he has no legal or moral right to do so?

Upvote 0

Rochir

By Grabthar's hammer ... YES.WEEK.END!
Sep 27, 2004
In your lap
Visit site
✟31,151.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
"God has blessed our tribe," she said. "We have a very rich tribe, per se. We are operating on over a $200 million budget thanks to our gaming enterprise."

Aaah, God likes gambling it seems! :)

It's kewl the Cherokee display the 10 Commandments. I just hope they recall the often ways in which American Indians "became" Christians in the first place! Link

Upvote 0

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟218,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Rochir said:
I just hope they recall the often ways in which American Indians "became" Christians in the first place!
Perhaps you should ponder how the Cherokee became Christians in the first place. Just saying "Indians" lumps together a whole bunch of people who don't actually have a whole lot in common with each other.

Upvote 0

Billnew

Legend
Apr 23, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟35,363.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Rochir said:
Aaah, God likes gambling it seems! :)

It's kewl the Cherokee display the 10 Commandments. I just hope they recall the often ways in which American Indians "became" Christians in the first place! Link

As discussion is not allowed I can not answer the question of how Indians became Christians.:sorry: Although for some, Pastor San Xavier and his churches, played a big part.

But interesting point. Our Constitution does not effect them.

Upvote 0

JPPT1974

April Showers and Easter 2024!
Mar 18, 2004
Small Town, USA
✟569,139.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
GutterRat said:
Why do the 10 Commandments have to be so political? I don't see the big deal.

I wished that they didn't make it political as well. I think it shouldn't be. And just be God's laws and commandments that we obey.

Upvote 0

MSBS

Jul 29, 2002
California
✟10,591.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Rochir said:
I just hope they recall the often ways in which American Indians "became" Christians in the first place!

I imagine there was quite a bit of similarity with how pagan Europeans first became Christians. ;)

Reactions: MaryS
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Heiroglyph

Jan 6, 2005
✟7,492.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Now they just need a law that says all who pass by the Ten Commandments display must immediately fall to their knees and worship, and then Hugh Lambert will be correct that it is enforcing religious beliefs on those who don’t necessarily believe in it.

Upvote 0

MaryS

Sep 12, 2004
✟3,195.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Republican
Jipsah said:
Perhaps you should ponder how the Cherokee became Christians in the first place. Just saying "Indians" lumps together a whole bunch of people who don't actually have a whole lot in common with each other.

I think they prefer the term "Native Americans" or "First Americans".

It's interesting that the overwhelming majority of them vote Democrat, but some of the tribes (like the Cherokee) have passed a lot of laws that relate to their tribe including one to ban gay marriage.

Upvote 0
R

rebelEnigma

You know what, instead of whining and moaning about the atrocities of displaying the Ten Commandments in a tribal meeting area, why not display the beliefs of Muslims, Buddhists, and Hindus? Nevermind that they are false religions, we need to be equality-minded because Allah certainly deserves recognition. </end.sarcasm>

What is it with people and their aversion to having Christianity in government? What is wrong with saying "Do not murder, do not steal, do not covet, do not lie."? I thought those were good things to say.

While America should not become a theocracy, I would much rather see the Senate, Congress, and *gasp* the Supreme Court open their meetings with prayer rather than not.

And he's not forcing his beliefs on others. Forcing would be like trying to make someone bow down before them, obviously this is not the case.

It seems that people become conditioned to believing that God should not be involved in government...at all. I think we all notice the results of what happens when God is removed from our schools (school shootings, drug use, teen pregnancy, murder) and from government (passing of abortion laws, banning prayer in public meetings). As soon as God is removed from government, corruption and seeds of evil will begin to spread. Just look at history and you will see this. I'm glad somebody is putting the Ten Commandments back into a government area.

Upvote 0

Applea

Sep 9, 2005
North Carolina
Visit site
✟15,398.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Others
rebelEnigma said:
What is it with people and their aversion to having Christianity in government?

In relation to this issue, the Ten Commandments isn't my problem. Putting it up there is a good thing, in my book. However, it's how the leaders of my ancestor's nation and their supporters seem to be using God's law for political gain now that tribal elections are on the way. That is what I have a problem with, as do many of my fellow Cherokee brother and sisters.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

jlujan69

Jul 28, 2004
United States
✟5,360.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
What is it with people and their aversion to having Christianity in government? What is wrong with saying "Do not murder, do not steal, do not covet, do not lie."? I thought those were good things to say.

Folks don't mind "Christianity" in society so long as it's in a palatable form--don't judge (meaning: don't tell me God finds my lifestyle choices sinful), love your neighbor (meaning: don't tell me God finds my lifestyle choices sinful), and follow the "Golden Rule" (meaning: don't tell me God finds my lifestyle choices sinful). The Ten Commandments show the very moral character of God and they directly oppose our own desires for self-gratification. It simply won't do to remind us of just how far we miss the mark of God's expectations of us. Solution: Don't tell me the truth. Let me feel like I'm ok and I'll be happy.

Upvote 0

MaryS

Sep 12, 2004
✟3,195.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Republican
jlujan69 said:
Folks don't mind "Christianity" in society so long as it's in a palatable form--don't judge (meaning: don't tell me God finds my lifestyle choices sinful), love your neighbor (meaning: don't tell me God finds my lifestyle choices sinful), and follow the "Golden Rule" (meaning: don't tell me God finds my lifestyle choices sinful). The Ten Commandments show the very moral character of God and they directly oppose our own desires for self-gratification. It simply won't do to remind us of just how far we miss the mark of God's expectations of us. Solution: Don't tell me the truth. Let me feel like I'm ok and I'll be happy.

You've pretty much explained how some progressive Christians feel and many of them consider the Old Testament to be more evil than the New Testament.
I'm no Bible scholar, but I seem to recall that Jesus repeated the Ten Comandments in the book of Mathew.

Upvote 0

Rochir

By Grabthar's hammer ... YES.WEEK.END!
Sep 27, 2004
In your lap
Visit site
✟31,151.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
rebelEnigma said:
It seems that people become conditioned to believing that God should not be involved in government...at all.

Separation of Church and State - that's all I can say to this!

Upvote 0

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟218,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
rebelEnigma said:
You know what, instead of whining and moaning about the atrocities of displaying the Ten Commandments in a tribal meeting area, why not display the beliefs of Muslims, Buddhists, and Hindus?
If you're a Cherokee and want the Vedas displayed in the chapter house, or the Lotus Sutra chanted during all meetings, then see if you can drum up the support to get it done. If you can, then that's how it ought to be. If you can't, then go back and sit down. It's none of the federal gov't business in either case.

Nevermind that they are false religions, we need to be equality-minded because Allah certainly deserves recognition.
Then bring it up for a vote.

What is it with people and their aversion to having Christianity in government?
Not a thing. They have a vote like anyone else.

Upvote 0