Dec 26, 2007
Texas
✟9,378.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Hi,

I was just informed that the Native American Cherokee Nation has been identified as being one of the lost tribes of Israel through DNA testing and ancient writing that they were in possession of. I found this fascinating because I have Cherokee ancestry. I am more white than Native American, but I have always felt an affinity to the Cherokee.

If someone were to find that they did have some biological link to Jews, would it be reasonable for them to learn about messianic Judaism or just stick to being a former gentile born again and converted to Christianity?

• Agree
Reactions: DennisTate

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,142.44
Faith
Messianic
Hi,

I was just informed that the Native American Cherokee Nation has been identified as being one of the lost tribes of Israel through DNA testing and ancient writing that they were in possession of. I found this fascinating because I have Cherokee ancestry. I am more white than Native American, but I have always felt an affinity to the Cherokee.

If someone were to find that they did have some biological link to Jews, would it be reasonable for them to learn about messianic Judaism or just stick to being a former gentile born again and converted to Christianity?
Yes, a group out of Missouri have made that claim..
Missouri Cherokee Tribes proclaim Jewish Heritage

Upvote 0

visionary

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,142.44
Faith
Messianic
The Bat Creek Stone was discovered in 1889 in an undisturbed burial mound in Eastern Tennessee by the Smithsonian's Mound Survey project.

In 1971, Cyrus Gordon identified the letters inscribed on the stone as Paleo-Hebrew of approximately the first or second century A.D. According to him, the five letters to the left of the comma-shaped word divider read, from right to left, LYHWD, or "for Judea."

In 1988, wood fragments found with the inscription were Carbon-14 dated to somewhere between 32 A.D. and 769 A.D. These dates are consistent with the apparent date of the letters.

Today the stone resides out of sight in a back room of the National Museum of Natural History in Washington, D.C.
batcrk.jpg

Upvote 0

visionary

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,142.44
Faith
Messianic
DNA Testing of Southeastern American Indian Families to Confirm Jewish Ethnicity
Paper delivered at Society of Crypto-Judaic Studies, San Antonio, August 8, 2003

There are haplogroup determinations that contain the DNA of people known to be Jewish today. But even some Arabs and Muslims test positive for the Cohen gene. So how can we be so sure the y-chromosomal haplotypes we are studying are Jewish? The answer lies in the overwhelming preponderance of surnames with Hebrew and Sephardic Jewish roots, combined with multigenerational cousin marriage and other historical factors that must be properly interpreted. Genetics without a good genealogical chart is useless, and even the charts are deceptive in the case of crypto-Jewish families unless one has access to the death-bed confessions and whispered family traditions.

• Agree
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

ContraMundum

Messianic Jewish Christian
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2005
Visit site
✟78,078.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi,

How come they never followed Torah? Didn't write? Don't know Hebrew? Can't grow beards? No Teffilin, Mezuzot, no evidence of any connection with Jews at all.

Perhaps there is a later intermarriage after the Euro migration.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Shimshon

Oct 5, 2004
Zion
✟107,464.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
How come they never followed Torah? Didn't write? Don't know Hebrew? Can't grow beards? No Teffilin, Mezuzot, no evidence of any connection with Jews at all.

Exactly. If people would learn their American History (if it hasn't been revised right out of the books) Columbus was traveling at the same time as the spanish inquisition, which led to scores of sephardic Jews taking ships to the new world. I am of this heritage myself, on my mothers side. A Taino Jew, because my Jewish ancestors from Spain came to Puerto Rico and married Taino natives.

Many of these sephardi traveled as far as the Rio Grande, and were/are known as crypto-Jews. For hiding their Jewish roots.

But the whole pre-american visits from the tribes of Israel, probably not.....

BTW, the Cherokee nation is one of the most interbreed tribes of the americas. They were almost interbread out of existence, so they were offered land in the SE. Then everyone with a drop of Cherokee was trying to get something. In america being part Cherokee is like being part Irish, or Italian....your bound to find one in 5 (persay) that have the blood.

Upvote 0

ChavaK

להיות טוב ולעשות טוב
May 12, 2005
US
✟158,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican

+1

Upvote 0

dodari

1/2 Sephardic MJ--1/2 Lakota w/ #
Aug 6, 2010
✟15,613.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Exactly. If people would learn their American History (if it hasn't been revised right out of the books) Columbus was traveling at the same time as the spanish inquisition, which led to scores of sephardic Jews taking ships to the new world. I am of this heritage myself, on my mothers side. A Taino Jew, because my Jewish ancestors from Spain came to Puerto Rico and married Taino natives.

Many of these sephardi traveled as far as the Rio Grande, and were/are known as crypto-Jews. For hiding their Jewish roots.

But the whole pre-american visits from the tribes of Israel, probably not.....

BTW, the Cherokee nation is one of the most interbreed tribes of the americas. They were almost interbread out of existence, so they were offered land in the SE. Then everyone with a drop of Cherokee was trying to get something. In america being part Cherokee is like being part Irish, or Italian....your bound to find one in 5 (persay) that have the blood.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: all 3 of y'all.

Real Cherokee have teeth like mine, hair like mine and even a characteristic in the retina of the eye like mine. None of these traits are shared except by folks in Mongolia, some Chinese and Japanese, but not Jewish people. Our native blood type is predominantly O+(79%).

Yo vivo aqui in Nuevo Mejico, al lado de El Rio Bravo del Norte(Rio Grande) con mi familia Indios y mi familia S'phardi(Anusim-conversos-crypto). Hay muchas de la gente aqui.

Whatever happened to Genesis 10:25, it makes sense to me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

HannibalFlavius

May 15, 2013
Houston
✟5,329.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
I'm a quarter Cherokee, and I think there is a lot of things in Indian culture that looks a bit like Hebrew things.

Their hair.

The way they believe in God and smoke that reminds me of incense and it's symbolism of spirit.

I don't really make much of blood in my view of God but I would say that Cherokee could very well be mixed with some tribe of Israel, maybe not even the lost tribes, but it looks like some connection is there.

I think it's the same kind of tribal spirit because it feels the same whether I am thinking of either.

Upvote 0

visionary

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,142.44
Faith
Messianic
Here is an attempt of making the connection between the Jews in Israel and the travels to America's as Cherokees.
“I will make of you a great nation, and I will bless you, and make your name great; and you shall be a blessing: And I will bless them that bless you, and curse him that curses you: and in you all nations will be born through mixing. (Genesis 12:2, 3)”

75 years after Herod’s death, at the beginning of the Revolt of the Jews against the Romans in 66 CE, a group of Zealots known as the Si'cari'i – almost one thousand men, women and children – led by Eleazar ben Ya’ir overcame the Roman garrison of Masada. After the fall of Jerusalem and the destruction of the Temple (70 CE) they were joined by zealots and their families who had fled from Jerusalem. With Masada as their base, they raided and harassed the Romans for two years. Then, in 73 CE, the Roman governor Flavius Silva marched against Masada with the Tenth Legion, auxiliary units and thousands of Jewish prisoners-of-war. The Romans established camps at the base of Masada, laid siege to it and built a circumvallation wall. They then constructed a rampart of thousands of tons of stones and beaten earth against the western approaches of the fortress and, in the spring of the year 74 CE, moved a battering ram up the ramp and breached the wall of the fortress.

As it became obvious that they were doomed they decided to burn the fortress and end their own lives, rather than be taken alive. “And so met (the Romans) with the multitude of the slain, but could take no pleasure in the fact, though it were done to their enemies. Nor could they do other than wonder at the courage of their resolution, and at the immovable contempt of death which so great a number of them had shown, when they went through with such an action as that was.” (Josephus Flavius’ “The Jewish War”) The Zealots cast lots to choose 10 men to kill the remainder. They then chose among themselves the one man who would kill the survivors. That last Jew then killed himself.

Only two women, hiding in grain bins, survived to tell the story to Josephus. So the story goes. It appears there were other survivors. There is a group known as the Tsa'ra-gi', note the phonetic resemblance of Si'cari'i, that tell a fantastic story. These people have an ancient oral tradition that tells of a migration made to, what is now America, from the area known as Masada. The evidence offered in support of this connection to ancient Americans escaping the mountain fortress of Masada is based in part on stories passed down from their elders, similarity between ancient words, and some strange archeological finds.

Beverly Baker Northup (Chief Elder of the Northern Tsa'ra-gi') says: "The story has been kept alive among our Tsa'ra-gi' people that the Sicari'i who escaped from Masada, are some of our ancestors who managed to cross the water to this land...” Northup claims that the famous scholar Josephus wrote that there were escapees from Masada in which the spokesperson for the Tsa'ra-gi' states that this is evidence that gives credence to the idea there may have been more survivors and this connection between the Tsa'ra-gi' in America and the Jews.

Archeological Evidencen Tennessee in 1889 a rock was uncovered that is known as the “Bat Creek Stone,” with an inscription in Paleo-Hebrew, which proves a transatlantic connection between the Jews and the Americas. The stone was initially found in a burial mound by a survey team led by John W. Emmert of the Smithsonian Institution. The mound was located at the confluence of the Little Tennessee River and Bat Creek, a few miles north of modern Vonore. Originally, it was thought the inscription was of a Cherokee alphabet invented by Sequoyah in the early 1800s however linguist Dr. Cyrus Gordon, professor of Mediterranean Studies at Brandeis University in Boston, identified it as actually a Paleo-Hebrew inscription. “The archaeological circumstances of the discover,’ Gordon said, ‘rule out any chance of fraud or forgery and the inscription attests to a migration of Jews…probably to escape the long hand of Rome after the disastrous Jewish defeats in 70 and 135 CE.’” Northup believes that the scratched writings on the rock indicate that the stone is evidence of a first century Atlantic Crossing to America by these escaped Jews that later became known as the Tsa'ra-gi'. Dr. Robert Steiglitz of New York reads it as “A comet for the Judeans,” or more correctly, “For the Judeans (at the time of) the comet,” with reference to HALLEY'S COMET,WHICH HUNG OVER JERUSALEM “LIKE A FLAMING SWORD” IN THE YEAR 69 CE DURING THE FIRST JEWISH REVOLT." This stone appears to be staking a claim of land for Judea. Next, two bracelets were found with the Bat Creek stone, originally classified as copper and later found to be leaded yellow brass which suggests the use of copper by the Hebrews that found their way to the Americas. THE EVIDENCE SHOWS THAT KENTUCKY AND TENNESSEE BECAME HAVENS OF REFUGE FOR PERSECUTED HEBREWS OF ISRAEL!

In November of 1860, David Wyrick of Newark, Ohio found an inscribed stone in a burial mound about 10 miles south of Ohio. The inscription is carved into a fine-grained black limestone. The inscribed stone was found inside a sandstone box. The stone is inscribed with "Square Hebrew" letters writing out Exodus 20:2-17 and Deuteronomy 5:6-21 - the Decalogue or Ten Commandments. There is a figure of a robed and bearded man, identified as Moses through the translation of the letters that crown his head. The text begins at the top of the arch over the head of the figure. The text is run on, with no spaces or word dividers. No terminal letter forms, consonant points, or vowel points are used. A stone bowl was also found with the Decalogue. Is this a Kiddush cup? Stone vessels are typical of Jews who kept the purity laws. Stone vessels do not become impure. Stone is natural. You don't have to put it in an oven or you don't do anything to transform the material out of which it is made, in contrast to, say, a clay pot, whose composition is changed by firing. Purity was very important to Jews in the late Second Temple period. The bowl and box were made of the same sandstone.

David A. Deal (Ancient American Magazine) and Dr. James Trimm (Society for the Advancement of Nazarene Judaism) examined the stone in 1996 and identified it as a Jewish phylactery or t'filla of the Second Temple period.
“These commandments that I give you today… Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads.” (Deuteronomy 6:6,

Several months earlier, in June of 1860, Wyrick had found an additional stone, known as the “Keystone” because of its general shape, also inscribed in Hebrew letters. It was apparently intended to be held with the knob in the right hand, and turned to read the four sides in succession, perhaps repetitively. It says, “Holy is Yahweh.”

A fifth stone was found at the same site as the Decalogue stone two years later by David M. Johnson, a banker, and Dr. Nathaniel Roe Bradner, a physician. This fifth stone, named the Johnson-Bradner Stone, was also inscribed with post-Exilic Hebrew. Sadly, the Johnson-Bradner Stone has since been lost.

In 1891, at Chatata (an original Cherokee name), near Cleveland, in Bradley County, Tennessee, Isaac Hooper noticed a line of sandstone rocks projecting from the ground every 25-30 feet over a gently curving arc about 1,000 feet long. Unusual symbols seemed to be inscribed on one of these surface stones.
Dr. A.L. Rawson of the New York Academy of Sciences, employing a capable staff of cipher experts and expending $35,000, deciphered the inscriptions. The inscriptions were declared to be old Hebrew and of religious and historical nature. Hebrew Pottery and stone images were also found near the wall.

Dr Rawson believed that the Israelites, after locating in the Americas settled there and inscribed the tablets with the Torah in obedience to the injunction of Moses.
“In the future, when your son asks you, ‘What is the meaning of the stipulations, decrees and laws Yahweh our Elohim has commanded you?’ tell him: ‘We were slaves of Pharaoh in Egypt, but Yahweh brought us out of Egypt with a mighty hand. Before our eyes Yahweh sent miraculous signs and wonders—great and terrible—upon Egypt and Pharaoh and his whole household. But he brought us out from there to bring us in and give us the land that he promised on oath to our forefathers. Yahweh commanded us to obey all these decrees and to fear Yahweh our Elohim, so that we might always prosper and be kept alive, as is the case today. And if we are careful to obey all this law before Yahweh our Elohim, as he has commanded us, that will be our righteousness." (Deuteronomy 6:20-25)
In Los Lunas New Mexico the Ten Commandments are cut into a 90-ton basalt boulder on the side of Hidden Mountain. It is inscribed in Paleo-Hebrew. The inscription was first seen by an archaeologist in 1933 and there are reports of it extending back into the 1880's. The writing is on a forty-degree angle, indicating the boulder has shifted since the carving was made. One geologist estimates the age of the work (based on the weathering) could be between 2,500-3,000 years old. Dr. Cyrus Gordon suggests that the Decalogue is a mezuzah. A mezuzah is usually placed by the entrance of a house, or carved on a large stone slab placed by the gateway to a property or synagogue in obedience to Deuteronomy 6:6, 8. “These commandments that I give you today… Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates.” This was done by Israelite explorers to claim land for Israel.
“…King Solomon made a navy of ships in Eziongeber, which is beside Elat, on the shore of the Red sea, in the land of Edom. And Hiram sent in the navy his servants, shipmen that had knowledge of the sea, with the servants of Solomon.” (1 Kings 9:26, 27)
The Los Lunas site is located along the Puerco River which is tributary of the Rio Grande River. The Rio Grande is definitely in the Atlantic drainage. It would have been entirely possible for the Israelite explorers to access the area of the stone via the Gulf of Mexico.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

visionary

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,142.44
Faith
Messianic
Hebrew Comparisons
Here is some more circumstantial evidence that the Tsa'ra-gi' are Israelites:

Their dress: they wore fringes on their garments.

Their Worship: They had the same type of monotheistic worship identical to Hebrew describing their deity as Uhalotega meaning the Incomprehensible One. He has been called Atanoti meaning United agreeing with Deuteronomy 6:1 and Zechariah 14:9.

Their view of Torah: They believe that originally the commands were given orally but mankind became evil and so the Incomprehensible One gave the commands anew while they were in the wilderness and marked them on smooth stones and gave them to their leader on a mountain. This sounds remarkably like what the Torah says concerning the giving of the Torah at Horeb.

Their House of Worship: The Tsa'ra-gi' built a 7-sided Temple for the place of their main worship. It faced east, as did the Temple in Jerusalem. Inside, was a Sacred Fire, that was kept burning all year, and was re-lit on DAY OF ATONEMENT -- as was the Menorah of the Temple in Jerusalem. Moreover, they had a variety of Temple purification rituals and activities that seem to resemble those used in the Temple in Jerusalem. On this day one priest was selected to speak the sacred name. This name must never be uttered excepting by a sanctified person. That name was YeHowaah. And they call themselves aniYunwiya meaning people of the Lord or AniYeHowaah meaning people of YeHowaah like the Israelites call themselves amYahweh meaning people of Yahweh. They also call themselves oretoopah meaning the Beloved as God said of Israel, I have loved you, says God. (Malachi 1:2)

Their Holy Days: They celebrate the "DAY OF ATONEMENT in a way identical to Israel, in which vows were released, insults were forgiven and all disputes buried. Among the Tsa'ra-gi', New Moon ceremonies were of highest importance is set the Holy Days. Every year on the 15th day of the sacred month of harvest, in the fall, the Tsa'ra-gi' make a pilgrimage, for 8 days they live in "booths" with roofs open to the sky, covered with branches, leaves, and foliage. During this festival they call upon the Incomprehensible One. This is called the FESTIVAL OF BOOTHS. Dr. Cyrus Gordon, an expert in Hebrew, Minoan, and most Middle Eastern languages, was privileged to sit in on the FESTIVAL OF BOOTHS and listened to their chants, songs, and sacred ceremonies. Tsa'ra-gi' teachings tell them their Elohim is named YeHowaah. He exclaimed to his companion, "THEY ARE SPEAKING THE HEBREW NAME OF YAHWEH!"

Last edited:
Upvote 0

visionary

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,142.44
Faith
Messianic
A brief summary, of the Tsa'ra-gi' Festivals were:
1- FIRST FULL MOON OF SPRING, which would have been literally the Day of Passover, and was accompanied by the slaughter of a lot of animals to prepare the meat for that Feast Day, and was set by the sprouting of the new grass of Spring (like the Passover Barley)! [Not to mention the intensive Spring Cleaning of the Feast!]
2- GREEN CORN FESTIVAL, which was when the corn first balled, so that it could be cooked and eaten--similar to First Fruits, when the Barley was first edible. (However, for the Tsa'ra-gi', this occurred later in the year, more towards Summer, as the Climate in America was not as warm as in the Middle East).
3- MATURE or RIPE CORN FESTIVAL, which was set for 50 days after the Green Corn Festival (like Pentecost)--and when the Sacred Fire in the Heptagon (like the Temple Menorah) was re-lit for the next year!
4- GREAT NEW MOON FEAST, which was set as the first Full Moon of Autumn, and when Tsa'ra-gi' myth said that the whole world was created (and similar to Yom Teruah)!
5- PROPITIATION and CEMENTATION CEREMONY, for cleansing one's soul of Sin, and joining in UNITY with the Community as they ALL joined with the Creator--setting their relationship to HIM in cement (and similar to the Day of Atonement, with its earlier Kol Nidre purifications and making amends.) Moreover, as this ended the Torah Study Cycle, many Jewish boys often received bar mitzvah here, with an appropriate ceremony for Tsa'ra-gi' boys, also.
6- FESTIVAL OF EXALTING or BONDING BUSH CEREMONY (week long), or a very loose approximating of the 8 Day Feast of Tabernacles--and in the autumn.
7- Various other minor Festivals and fasts.
• Their view of Creation: The Incomprehensible One created all things in seven days just as it says in the Torah (Genesis 1). Man was created out of red dirt and woman from man’s side which agrees with Genesis 2 that is why the first man was called Adam which means red.
• Their view of the Deluge: Beside preaching and sacrificing, the priests warned the people of the coming flood. They told the people the earth would be destroyed once by water but the second time by fire. This agrees with the Torah that says the family of Noah warned the people of the coming flood. In his Antiquities of the Jews, Josephus writes that Adam had forewarned that the world was to be destroyed at one time by the force of fire, and at another time by the violence and quantity of water. They believed that as much water gushed up from the ground as fell from the sky which agrees with Genesis 7:11.
• Their view on prayer: the Incomprehensible One commanded them to sing prayers which they do morning and evening which agrees with Browns Jewish Antiquities Vol. #1 that says, “They are bound by their traditions to repeat their t'fillalim sentences every morning between dawn and sun rising, and every evening before they retire.”
• Their view on cities of refuge: they had four villages in which a man-killer could find refuge in from the avenger which agrees with Exodus 22:18.
• Their burial customs: The mother closes the eyes of the deceased unmarried children, husbands closes the eyes of the wives and wives their husbands which is similar to Israelites whose nearest relative closes the eyes of the deceased and kisses them one last time. (Browns Jewish Antiquities Vol. #2 pg. 343) They wash the corpse all over with purifying water as the Israelites do. (Browns Jewish Antiquities Vol. #2 pg. 344)
• Their marriage customs: They are very similar to the Israelites. For instance, a widow could not marry without the permission of her brother-in-law. This custom only existed among the Tsa'ra-gi' and the Israelites!
• The Ark of the Covenant: The Tsa'ra-gi' carried a chest said to house the Presence of the Incomprehensible One, on poles and could never touch the ground.

Reactions: MoyToy
Upvote 0