Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
While you're certainly correct that popularity does not imply correctness (I can think of a number of examples without working overly hard), that doesn't change the original point. That science is capable of operating with and verifying the existence (or non-existence) of more than three, or even four, dimensions. In fact, I'd suggest that your link actually proves that point.

I'd say it proves the exact opposite.

"But there is little to build on. So far, no hints of "new physics" beyond the Standard Model — the accepted set of equations describing the known elementary particles..."

Don't get me wrong - they are welcome to fantasize all they like - just don't call it fact yet, especially when they still ain't got 3 figured out.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
The Standard Model is four dimensions of space-time. Because, fundamentally, space and time aren't separate, it is space-time, it's one thing. To that end science already deals with a fourth dimension of space-time in the standard model.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

LACanuck

Jan 29, 2008
✟15,119.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I'd say it proves the exact opposite.

"But there is little to build on. So far, no hints of "new physics" beyond the Standard Model — the accepted set of equations describing the known elementary particles..."

Don't get me wrong - they are welcome to fantasize all they like - just don't call it fact yet, especially when they still ain't got 3 figured out.
Not sure how it proves that science *can't* deal with four dimension. As I said, being able to create a coherent theory that uses 11 dimensions, have that theory make predictions and have those predictions not pan out is a significant part of the scientific method. So being able to say that SUSY is no longer viable is *exactly* dealing with multiple dimensions.

Upvote 0

Justatruthseeker

Site Supporter
Jun 4, 2013
Tulsa, OK USA
✟155,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
The Standard Model is four dimensions of space-time. Because, fundamentally, space and time aren't separate, it is space-time, it's one thing. To that end science already deals with a fourth dimension of space-time in the standard model.

-CryptoLutheran

No you confuse quantum electrodynamics (QED) with General Relativity (GR). General Relativity has never been able to be reduced to the quantum state.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_gravity

"Although a quantum theory of gravity is needed in order to reconcile general relativity with the principles of quantum mechanics, difficulties arise when one attempts to apply the usual prescriptions of quantum field theory to the force of gravity. From a technical point of view, the problem is that the theory one gets in this way is not renormalizable and therefore cannot be used to make meaningful physical predictions."

There are no quantum theories that at their heart are not based off of electrodynamics. Ones that can make actual predictions and is therefor useful at any rate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_electrodynamics

"QED has served as the model and template for all subsequent quantum field theories."

There is no "fourth" dimension in the Standard Model.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_Model

But since mainstream doesn't want to accept electrodynamics as the cause of everything - we have to put up with people trying to keep gravity from being subsumed into electrodynamics.

Because those oil drop experiments tell you much, much more than just the charge of an electron.

Upvote 0

VirOptimus

A nihilist who cares.
Aug 24, 2005
✟250,687.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
No disrespect meant, but isn't this trivializing the idea of dimensions? You've just added a variable, not a new dimension in the usual sense of the word. If there is an definition of "4th dimension" as being something like the temperature in the room I can't find it.

Its just to show that mathematicly a 4:th (or really, a n:th) dimension is trivial to represent and therefore not beyond what science can handle. F.ex. there are n:th dimensional geometric figueres in mathematics.

Now, if you by 4:th dimension means a 4:th spatial dimension then thats something else obviously.

Upvote 0

Herman Hedning

Hiking is fun
Mar 2, 2004
N 57° 44', E 12° 00'
Visit site
✟734,903.00
Faith
Humanist
Upvote 0

SnowyMacie

Apr 12, 2011
North Texas
✟118,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
In Relationship
Who is the only Person that can exist without being created?

Jesus, the man, was created. He was conceived, Mary was pregnant with him for nine months, and then he was born. He was just as human as you, me, and everyone else.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,908,614.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Jesus, the man, was created. He was conceived, Mary was pregnant with him for nine months, and then he was born. He was just as human as you, me, and everyone else.

God is not bound by our laws.

Jesus, as the man, may have been begotten; but Jesus, as the God, wasn't.

Reactions: MehGuy
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GillDouglas

Reformed Christian
Dec 21, 2013
USA
Visit site
✟29,425.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I know who you are going for, but I do not recall the bible excluding god from being created. Also, depends on how you define "created".

It's difficult to do, but you cannot perceive God in a human sense or point of view. He exists outside of creation, time, everything. Therefore He always has and will be.

Upvote 0

PsychoSarah

Chaotic Neutral
Jan 13, 2014
✟95,463.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
It's difficult to do, but you cannot perceive God in a human sense. He exists outside of creation, time, everything. Therefore He always has and will be.
If one cannot perceive god in a human sense, then why do people claim to be able to know of this being at all? Being outside of everything, this being would have been incapable of interacting with those within the universe, because its physics would not have been compatible with that universe's physics.

Upvote 0

GillDouglas

Reformed Christian
Dec 21, 2013
USA
Visit site
✟29,425.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
"If one cannot perceive god in a human sense, then why do people claim to be able to know of this being at all? Being outside of everything, this being would have been incapable of interacting with those within the universe, because its physics would not have been compatible with that universe's physics."

Imagine you were a character in a book. Would you know the author unless he revealed himself to you? What would you know about the author other than was he had told you?

Upvote 0

PsychoSarah

Chaotic Neutral
Jan 13, 2014
✟95,463.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Imagine you were a character in a book. Would you know the author unless he revealed himself to you? What would you know about the author other than was he had told you?

The author would still have existed in the same universe as me. What part of "conflicting physics preventing interaction" did you not understand?

Upvote 0

GillDouglas

Reformed Christian
Dec 21, 2013
USA
Visit site
✟29,425.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
The author would still have existed in the same universe as me. What part of "conflicting physics preventing interaction" did you not understand?
How could the author exist only within the story, and not outside of it? God, the author of this world, is not restrained by the laws in which He created.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,908,614.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
How long has your god been a Person?

God has always existed: outside of time.
I wonder how many others see their god as a Person?

Why is that?

I hope we all do.

God is the First Person of the Godhead.
is that where the idea of "A magic man in the sky" came from?

Welcome to CF, by the way! :wave:

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.