Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
How many times have I heard some Christians complain that they are against "works salvation" by which they mean they don't want a Christian faith that demands anything of them??? I have news for them. Christ demands EVERYTHING of us. OUR VERY LIVES are to be a living sacrifice unto him. That said, how can you complain about God asking our obedience, our faithfulness, our good works? "For we are God's handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works" Eph 2:10. Yes, we are saved by Grace, but not a cheap grace!

Reactions: Soyeong

Frogster

Galatians is the best!
Sep 7, 2009
✟74,317.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
How many times have I heard some Christians complain that they are against "works salvation" by which they mean they don't want a Christian faith that demands anything of them??? I have news for them. Christ demands EVERYTHING of us. OUR VERY LIVES are to be a living sacrifice unto him. That said, how can you complain about God asking our obedience, our faithfulness, our good works? "For we are God's handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works" Eph 2:10. Yes, we are saved by Grace, but not a cheap grace!
can you show any posts here that are "cheap grace"?

Actually that phrase is an oxymoron, because grace can't be cheap, it is the power of God.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
can you show any posts here that are "cheap grace"?
I started this thread because I was sickened by a reply in another thread that was an example of "cheap grace." I deliberately did not paste it here, because I think it might violate flaming rules. I'm sure you know the sort of posts I'm referring to.

Actually that phrase is an oxymoron, because grace can't be cheap, it is the power of God.
TRUE grace is never cheap. I'm referring to the fantasy that some Christians have of God's forgiveness without repentance; repentance meaning turning back to God's way, a way of obedience, faithfulness, etc.

Upvote 0

listed

are you?
May 14, 2011
✟53,797.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
You can have my wages, I do not want them. I like the free gift much better. Romans 6:23

You can no obligate nor manipulate God.

When you tell God at the judgment you kept the law (commandments), He will present the evidence you did not and pass the sentence demanded of the law. I would say retirement is going to be slightly warmer than the tropical paradise.

Upvote 0

listed

are you?
May 14, 2011
✟53,797.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Cheap grace is much better than worthless law with no teeth. Read Romans 1 thru 3.

Upvote 0

Steeno7

Not I...but Christ
Jan 22, 2014
ONUG
✟22,549.00
Faith
Christian

Grace isn't cheap, it's free.

Upvote 0

Cribstyl

Veteran
Jun 13, 2006
✟98,843.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I started this thread because I was sickened by a reply in another thread that was an example of "cheap grace." I deliberately did not paste it here, because I think it might violate flaming rules. I'm sure you know the sort of posts I'm referring to.

TRUE grace is never cheap. I'm referring to the fantasy that some Christians have of God's forgiveness without repentance; repentance meaning turning back to God's way, a way of obedience, faithfulness, etc.
Respectfully, The Frog is on point, in that no one is presenting that grace is cheap.(Grace is precious and valuable in that it cost Jesus His life.)
What does the scripture teach on this subject?
Eph 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
Eph 2:9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.
Eph 2:10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

Those scriptures above teach: We're saved by God's grace through (the working of) faith. Not by "good works" or any action on our part. Grace is a FREE gift from God, so no man can claim any part of it.

Eph 2:10 explains that; Once saved by grace, God's plan ordains the believers to the ministry (works).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SAAN

Apr 26, 2013
Atlanta, GA
✟80,985.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
He
Respectfully, The Frog is on point, in that no one is presenting that grace is cheap.(Grace is precious and valuable in that it cost Jesus His life.)
What does the scripture teach on this subject?
Eph 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
Eph 2:9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.
Eph 2:10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

Those scriptures above teach: We're saved by God's grace through (the working of) faith. Not by "good works" or any action on our part. Grace is a FREE gift from God, so no man can claim any part of it.

Eph 2:10 explains that; Once saved by grace, God's plan ordains the believers to the ministry (works).

Here is the problem with that. Many times over and over again it has been repeated here that we all agree we are saved by grace through faith in Jesus Christ, but the second anyone says, since Christ said keep the commandments, we should try to keep them too, most on here get worked up and start throwing out the usual responses.
-You are putting us back under the law
-You reject grace
-Id rather live by faith
-There is no point is trying since God requires perfection
-Im not obligated to keeps Gods commands
-The gentiles weren't commanded XYZ

Paul is goes on about abusing grace.
Romans 6:1-3
6 What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin that grace may abound?2 Certainly not! How shall we who died to sin live any longer in it?

What the OP is trying to address is when people point out as Christians we are supposed to be keeping the commands of God, it is met with strong resistance. That can easily come across as saying, you dont respect the commands of God because you have grace, which then comes across as abusing grace.

Once again no one believe your works save you or give you salvation, since we are all saved by grace through faith in Christ. Good works is what you do because you are saved. Faith without works is dead.

Reactions: Soyeong
Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
When you tell God at the judgment you kept the law (commandments), He will present the evidence you did not and pass the sentence demanded of the law. I would say retirement is going to be slightly warmer than the tropical paradise.
I don't keep the law for salvation. I keep the law out of obedience. See the difference?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Steeno7

Not I...but Christ
Jan 22, 2014
ONUG
✟22,549.00
Faith
Christian
initial grace is free. grace for the journey has requirements. this is exactly what I was complaining about.

Nonsense. Grace that has requirements attached to it is not free grace, and grace that is not free is no grace at all.

“And if by grace, then it cannot be based on works; if it were, grace would no longer be grace.” Romans 11:6

"All are justified freely by His grace..." Romans 3:24

"To the praise of His glorious grace, which He has freely given us in the One He loves." Ephesians 1:6

Upvote 0

James Is Back

CF's Official Locksmith
Aug 21, 2014
Oklahoma
✟32,480.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
initial grace is free. grace for the journey has requirements. this is exactly what I was complaining about.

Grace can't be free with add ons. It's either free completely or it ceases to be free. That's like giving you a Christmas present but then take on $5,000 for it plus interest. See how a free gift now ceases to be a free gift.

Free Grace is just that. Free with no hooks,add ons and requirements.

Reactions: Frogster
Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Nonsense. Grace that has requirements attached to it is not free grace, and grace that is not free is no grace at all.
You are telling God how to define his grace. That takes chutspah.

You can quote all the verses about initial justification you want. It doesn't make the verses about our ongoing walk disappear.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Free Grace is just that. Free with no hooks,add ons and requirements.
Again, initial grace is free. Grace for the journey requires a response from us. You can't get around the scriptures. You can't tell God that what he is doing just doesn't fit into your definition.

Upvote 0