Sep 24, 2005
✟59,815.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
For a description of Progressive Adventism, please see this Wikipedia article. Here is an excerpt from it:

Progressive Adventists are members of the Seventh-day Adventist Church who disagree with certain beliefs traditionally or commonly held today in the church. They think of themselves as theologically progressive relative to the denomination's mainstream. They are often described as liberal Adventism by other Adventists, however the term "progressive" is generally preferred as a self-description. This is partly because most are not liberal Christians (although a small portion actually are). This article describes terms such as evangelical Adventism, cultural Adventism, charismatic Adventism, and progressive Adventism and others, which are generally related but have distinctions.

Progressives typically question one or more of the church's more peculiar, or "distinctive" beliefs such as the investigative judgment, the remnant, a future global Sunday-law, or an overuse of Ellen G. White's writings. A major factor in its rise was as a result of Adventists mixing more widely with other Christians, which was sparked by the need for government accreditation for its educational institutions. However it is an emerging movement with an emerging definition, and its proponents resist drawing up any formal belief statement. Perceptions and definitions of it may differ somewhat depending on the author, although much is common is also clearly discernable.
This forum also includes Evangelical Adventists. Here is a description of Evangelical Adventism by Kennth Samples from Evangelical Reflections on Seventh-day Adventism: Yesterday and Today:

4. As an interested outsider with my nose pressed to the window, I see quite a bit of theological diversity within Seventh-day Adventism. In some ways it reminds me of present-day evangelicalism. One strand of Adventism appears quite traditional, another very liberal, and still another distinctly evangelical. There also seems to be a segment that is atheological in nature and reflects what I would call a cultural Adventism. The strand of Adventism that Martin and I most identified with is evangelical Adventism. If the use of the word “evangelical” is too self-serving on my part, then maybe I could call it a “gospel-oriented” Adventism. The word “evangelical” comes, of course, from the Greek euangellion, which means gospel or “good news.”

Gospel-oriented Adventists are indeed genuine Adventists. They believe deeply that God raised the Seventh-day Adventist church up for a special purpose—to usher in the Second Coming of Christ. They also deeply respect and honor the seventh-day Sabbath. In addition they believe that Ellen G. White possessed the spirit of prophecy. However, gospel-oriented Adventists owe their final allegiance to the authority of Scripture alone (sola Scriptura). Ellen G. White’s writings are tested by Scripture and not the reverse.

The doctrinal feature that sets this branch of Adventism apart is its view of the gospel. Gospel-oriented Adventists believe that their right standing before God rests not in their own obedience to the Law of God, but rather they place their complete confidence in Jesus Christ and in his perfect substitutionary atonement for their sins on the cross.9 These evangelically oriented Adventists believe that salvation comes solely by grace, through faith alone, and only in Jesus Christ (Eph. 2:8-9). They also believe that the Christian life is lived out passionately in gratitude to God for his precious gift of salvation (Eph 2:10).

Evangelical Adventists also recognize that Adventism’s important doctrinal distinctives of Sabbatarianism, the spirit of prophecy, and the belief in the imminence of Christ’s Second Coming are only made truly meaningful when a person fully embraces the gospel of grace. Evangelical Adventists insist that if God raised their church up for a special purpose, then they definitely can’t afford to get the gospel message wrong.

The roots of this robust type of Adventism go back to the nineteenth century and can be traced through the Adventist leaders who dialogued with Barnhouse and Martin. I also see it clearly articulated in the gospel presentation found in the classic Adventist source known as Questions on Doctrine. As the Seventh-day Adventist church continues its rapid growth in the twenty-first century, I pray that God will bless the church with an increasing number of Adventists who believe, teach, and live out this grace-oriented understanding of the gospel of Jesus Christ.

Just before he died, Walter Martin expressed to me a few concerns about the theological state of affairs within Adventism, as he saw it. He wondered whether Adventism really stood behind the book Questions on Doctrine, and, if so, why the book had been allowed to go out of print. He also expressed concern about whether Adventism had come to view Ellen G. White as the infallible interpreter of Scripture. He was also perplexed by the fact that leading evangelical Adventists such as Desmond Ford and others had been fired by the church. Finally, he told me that he was planning to write a new book on Seventh-day Adventism, and he asked me to assist him on that project. The Lord willing, I am planning to write a book that will offer an updated evangelical assessment of Adventism that will build upon Martin’s important work.

In retrospect, Walter Martin had a significant and abiding influence upon the Adventist church itself. He also greatly influenced how an entire generation of evangelical Christians came to view Seventh-day Adventism.

Adventist Heretic

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2006
Parts Unknown
✟345,982.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
ken sample's definition is bad here is a bette one

The major doctrinal issues which united this group [Evangelical Adventism] were:
1) Righteousness by faith: This group accepted the Reformation understanding of righteousness by faith (according to which righteousness by faith included justification only, and is a judicial act of God whereby He declares sinners to be just on the basis of Christ’s own righteousness). Our standing before God rests in the imputed righteousness of Christ, which we receive through faith alone. Sanctification is the accompanying fruit and not the root of salvation.
2) The human nature of Christ: Jesus Christ possessed a sinless human nature with no inclination or propensities toward sin. In that sense, Christ’s human nature was like that of Adam’s before the Fall....
3) The events of 1844: Jesus Christ entered into the most holy place (heaven itself) at His ascension; the sanctuary doctrine and the investigative judgment (traditional literalism and perfectionism) have no basis in Scripture.
4) Assurance of salvation: Our standing and assurance before God rest solely in Christ’s imputed righteousness; sinless perfection is not possible this side of heaven...
5) Authority of Ellen G. White: Neither she nor her writings are infallible, and they should not be used as a source of doctrinal authority....

Now that is an Evanglical Adventist Statment

Upvote 0

ListenerFriendly

I Am My Own Adversary...
Mar 25, 2006
The Westward End Of An Eastbound Sh
Visit site
✟8,928.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I have often questioned the diverse groups of Adventists that seem to gather in their own circles under a big unbrella. I'm happy to see this P/M/F section, but I question the definitions. I think there is more diversity here. Personally, I have been leary of excepting the "Christian" tag for the fact that Chrisitianity as a movement is so miss-represented by so many groups, the Chrisitian Right, evangelicals, fundamentalists, crusading Christians. I'm not pushing anyone into a corner here or judging anyone based on beliefs, I just think in the past centuries what the Church was supposed to be has been lost and the true message Jesus intended to be portrayed is kind of tossed aside. The "Chrisitian" tag worked quite well for the early Church as it epitomized everything they were... simply followers of Christ. Yet as this true definition has been lost, I tend to be reffered to as a "follower of Christ." Simple and sweet, sure I am a Christian and have a need and desire to follow Christ. This isn't about hiding anything, but about portraying who we really are.

The same deal with being Christian is happening with the Seventh-Day Adventist Church. It seems that with us trying to be more evangelical, we are losing the ability to reach out to others and are losing the relevant message we have. I think the true adventist denomination has fallen to the same pits, however much truth it claims. Still, I am not a denominational Christian as about every Christian in America tends to become, I am simply a follower of Christ. In this sense, the definition of Progressive or Moderate is hard to place on me as a person. I believe in the SDA doctrines, but I tend to have slightly different interpretations and I differ on a variety of certain views the church adopts that I feel the Bible addresses differently (not prophecy as much as other issues). That being said I am a "follower of Christ" who tends to have more "progressive" views of this journey through faith.

AND MAY RAW ROCK KILL YOU FOREVER AND EVER, AMEN.

Reactions: RBPerry
Upvote 0

Sophia7

Tall73's Wife
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2005
✟59,815.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Progressive/Moderate Adventist forum is pretty inclusive, and the goal is not to label everyone. Some labels are unfortunately necessary at CF because of the way the congregational forums work, however. This forum has been split from the Traditional Adventist forum, so those who don't fit in there are welcome to come over here. The descriptions that have been posted here are not meant to be definitive; they're just meant to give visitors to the forum an idea of what generally characterizes these groups. We recognize that the Adventist Church is made up of members from all over the theological spectrum and that not everyone fits into a neat little box.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Adam 5000

Sep 6, 2008
Jacksonville NC USA
✟134.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I feel right at home in this thread because I have a brief histrory with the SDA Church and was baptized as a SDA. I think that they have a great truth with them. However, like I think that many of you may have come to realize in your own walks, there are some things that can be hard to sit with in the Church. I came from a non denominational background and lets just say some doctrines are more easy to digest then others.

Upvote 0

JDMiowa

Outside the box
Apr 9, 2012
✟22,015.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
:thumbsup:“In every age there is a new development of truth, a message of God to the people of that generation. The old truths are all essential; new truth is not independent of the old, but an unfolding of it. It is only as the old truths are understood that we can comprehend the new. When Christ desired to open to His disciples the truth of His resurrection, He began "at Moses and all the prophets" and "expounded unto them in all the scriptures the things concerning Himself." Luke 24:27. But it is the light which shines in the freshunfolding of truth that glorifies the old:idea:. He who rejects or neglects the new does not really possess the old. For him it loses its vital power and becomes but a lifeless form.” COL 127, 128 EGW. .:amen:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JDMiowa

Outside the box
Apr 9, 2012
✟22,015.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
:thumbsup: Quotes from Ellen G. White. :thumbsup:

"In regard to infallibility, I NEVER claimed it; God ALONE is Infallible." Selected Messages, Book One, pp 415 and 37

"Let no one come to the conclusion that there is no more truth to be revealed. The diligent, prayerful seeker for truth will find precious rays of light yet to shine forth from the word of God." Counsels on Sabbath School Work, p. 34

"There is no excuse for anyone in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make an error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. Review and Herald, December 20,1892

"We cannot hold that a position once taken, an idea once advocated, is not, under any circumstances, to be relinquished. There is but One who is infallible --- He is the way, the truth, and the life.

"If the pillars of our faith will not stand the test of investigation, it is time we knew it." Testimonies to Ministers, pp 105 and 107

"The Bible and the Bible alone, is our creed, the sole bond of union; all who bow to this holy Word will be in harmony . . . Man is fallible, but God's Word is infallible.

"We have many lessons to learn, and many, many to unlearn. God and heaven alone are infallible. Those who think that they will never have to give up a cherished view, never have occasion to change an opinion, will be disappointed.

"In regard to infallibility, I never claimed it; God alone is infallible. His word is true, and in Him is no variableness, or shadow of turning." Selected Messages, Book One, pp. 416 and 37.

"Our position and faith is in the Bible. . . . And never do we want any soul to bring in the Testimonies ahead of the Bible." Evangelism, p. 256

“We are not to accept the opinion of commentators as the voice of God; they are erring mortals like ourselves. God has given reasoning powers to us as well as to them. We should make the Bible its own expositor.

“We must study the truth for ourselves. No man should be relied upon to think for us. No matter who he is, or in what position he may be placed, we are not to look upon any man as a criterion for us. Testimonies to Ministers, pp. 106 and 110

“Whatever may be man’s intellectual advancement, let him not for a moment think that there is no need of thorough and continuous searching of Scripture for greater light. As a people we are called individually to be students of prophecy. We must watch with earnestness that we may discern any ray of light which God shall present to us. We are to catch the first gleamings of truth; and through prayerful study, clearer light may be obtained, which can be brought to others.

“Some of our leading brethren have frequently taken their position on the wrong side: and if God would send a message and wait for these older brethren to open the way for its advancement, it would never reach the people.

“The rebuke of the Lord will rest upon those who would bar the way, that clearer light shall not come to the people. . . . Let no one run the risk of interposing between the people and the message of heaven.” Gospel Workers, pp 300, 303, and 304.

A spirit of pharisaism has been coming in upon the people who claim to believe the truth for these last days. They are self-satisfied. They have said, “We have the truth. There is no more light for the people of God. But we are not safe when we take the position that we will not accept anything else than that upon which we have settled as truth. We should take the Bible, and investigate it closely for ourselves. We should dig in the mine of God’s word for truth.” Review and Herald, June 18, 1888.

We need to begin all over again. . . . Errors may be hoary with age; but age dos not make error truth, nor truth error. Altogether too long have the old customs and habits been followed. The Lord would now have every idea that is false put away from teachers and students. We are not at liberty to teach that which shall meet the world’s standard or the standard of the church, simply because it is the custom to do so.” Testimonies for the Church, vol 6, p. 142. :preach:

Upvote 0

ricker

Feb 25, 2007
Minnesota
✟19,844.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
:thumbsup:“In every age there is a new development of truth, a message of God to the people of that generation. The old truths are all essential; new truth is not independent of the old, but an unfolding of it. It is only as the old truths are understood that we can comprehend the new. When Christ desired to open to His disciples the truth of His resurrection, He began "at Moses and all the prophets" and "expounded unto them in all the scriptures the things concerning Himself." Luke 24:27. But it is the light which shines in the freshunfolding of truth that glorifies the old:idea:. He who rejects or neglects the new does not really possess the old. For him it loses its vital power and becomes but a lifeless form.” COL 127, 128 EGW. .:amen:

Don't you think that Jesus expounded from the Scriptures to show how His death and resurrection was the fulfillment of the prophesies, not necessarily to "glorify" the old?

He said to them, “How foolish you are, and how slow to believe all that the prophets have spoken! 26 Did not the Messiah have to suffer these things and then enter his glory?” 27 And beginning with Moses and all the Prophets, he explained to them what was said in all the Scriptures concerning himself.

We don't need to "possess" the old because we have it's fulfillment in the new!

Hs the SDA church officially embraced any new truth since Mrs. White? Just wondering.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JDMiowa

Outside the box
Apr 9, 2012
✟22,015.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Don't you think that Jesus expounded from the Scriptures to show how His death and resurrection was the fulfillment of the prophesies, not necessarily to "glorify" the old?

Hs the SDA church officially embraced any new truth since Mrs. White? Just wondering.

I posted the same question a while back, still waiting for an answer! I know SDA reject a lot of new light, and willing to kick out people who believe differently.

Reactions: RBPerry
Upvote 0

JDMiowa

Outside the box
Apr 9, 2012
✟22,015.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

Originally Posted by JDMiowa
“Light will come to God's people, and those who have sought to close the door will either repent or be removed out of the way. The time has come when a new impetus must be given to the work. There are terrible scenes before us, and Satan is seeking to keep from our knowledge the very things that God would have us know. God has messengers and messages for his people. If ideas are presented that differ in some points from our former doctrines, we must not condemn them without diligent search of the Bible to see if they are true. We must fast and pray and search the Scriptures as did the noble Bereans, to see if these things are so. We must accept every ray of light that comes to us. Through earnest prayer and diligent study of God's word, dark things will be made plain to the understanding.” ST, May 26, 1890 par. 12 ...."A man convinced against his will, is of the same opinion still." Why are you resisting new light Martinman? Is it the love of money?

Martinman can you share any "new light" the SDA church is teaching now it did not teach 50 years age?

“Light will come to God's people, and those who have sought to close the door will either repent or be removed out of the way. The time has come when a new impetus must be given to the work. There are terrible scenes before us, and Satan is seeking to keep from our knowledge the very things that God would have us know. God has messengers and messages for his people. If ideas are presented that differ in some points from our former doctrines, we must not condemn them without diligent search of the Bible to see if they are true. We must fast and pray and search the Scriptures as did the noble Bereans, to see if these things are so. We must accept every ray of light that comes to us. Through earnest prayer and diligent study of God's word, dark things will be made plain to the understanding.” ST, May 26, 1890 par. 12 ...."

Upvote 0

spybirddave

Apr 23, 2015
Tacoma, Wa.
✟7,640.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
hellooo all! I am new to this forum & this thread but I feel at home already. I am a 4th
generation SDA previously very traditional, but shaken up in my theological security
by Desmond Ford circa 1980. At 36 yrs of age I enrolled in theology at PUC in 1979, right in the center of the Ford controversy. To see what all the fuss was about I signed up for classes in Daniel & Revelation with Dr Ford, as well as sitting in on some
seminars & camp meeting presentations. I was far too dependent on EGW to just be
easily convinced by his "new light", but the seed was planted & finally sprouted 35 or
so years later. This was after a crisis of faith experience by failing to receive the
blessing of assurance of salvation via sanctification & sinlessness which was always
just out of reach for me. Years of despondency & lethargy later I felt called to renew
my trust in the Lord completely for my salvation. This was accompanied by a conviction that I needed to go straight to the Bible & start over with it only as my
guide & source, not rejecting anything I had previously believed out of hand, but
testing everything as though my life depended on it(which it does).
The conclusion that I have come to, provisionally, is that there are several things in
the Statement of Fundamental Doctrines that I simply cannot agree with as scriptural.
This puts me at odds with the "church" & fellow SDA`s who insist that I can`t be anlol
SDA if I don`t swallow all 28 of them. I find myself more in harmony with evangelicals
than I ever thought was possible before, so I am thrilled to find a group who isn`t
afraid to regard themselves as Evangelical SDA`s. I`m a newbie at being a non-
conformist SDA so be gentle with me please. lol

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

joeb32

Apr 12, 2015
✟15,179.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Private
I often see people making the "there is more truth to revealed" statement, but then they go on to reject established truth with the "more truth" statements as their justification. However, new truth will enhance, not contradict, established truth so the justification for rejecting established truth for "new truth" is trap.

Upvote 0

AGODBELIEVERlove1stfaith2

SEEK AND YOU WILL FIND TRUTH - THE BIBLE IS TRUTH
Site Supporter
Jul 7, 2010
BERMUDA
Visit site
✟50,602.00
Country
Bermuda
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Upvote 0

PsychoeDial

God Return To And Bless America
Mar 10, 2016
Tokyo
✟11,034.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
New here.
I appreciate finding this thread as I just started investigating SDA.
I had heard it said that SDA teach if one does not tithe they do not gain entry to Heaven. This being the SDA teaching. However, I found in this PDF list of their 28 beliefs https://www.adventist.org/fileadmin...rticles/official-statements/28Beliefs-Web.pdf that #21, Stewardship,pertains to tithing and there is no mention of that in this list.

Am I being misled by opponents of SDA when they say that about the tithe mandate to enter Heaven? Thanks for your time. I also didn't know there were so many different branches in SDA so that's going to take awhile to sift through.

Upvote 0

Ubuntu

wayfaring stranger
Mar 7, 2012
✟33,907.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
New here.
I appreciate finding this thread as I just started investigating SDA.
I had heard it said that SDA teach if one does not tithe they do not gain entry to Heaven. This being the SDA teaching. However, I found in this PDF list of their 28 beliefs https://www.adventist.org/fileadmin...rticles/official-statements/28Beliefs-Web.pdf that #21, Stewardship,pertains to tithing and there is no mention of that in this list.

Am I being misled by opponents of SDA when they say that about the tithe mandate to enter Heaven? Thanks for your time. I also didn't know there were so many different branches in SDA so that's going to take awhile to sift through.

Yes, that sounds like an ill-natured exaggeration. It is true that we (as well as many other evangelical churches) tithe, but we're saved by faith in Christ alone. Paying tithe is not a test of fellowship in the adventist church. It is true that we argue that tithing is a privilege and a blessed duty, but good works certainly won't make us deserve heaven. There is a difference between “what is a teaching of the church and what is a test of fellowship”, and tithing is something left to the conscience of our members.

About different SDA “branches”. The Seventh Day Adventist Church is one single denomination, and as most Christian denominations people will tend to be either liberals or conservatives. Here on this forum we have two subforums for adventists, but this doesn't mean that there are one adventist church for liberals, and one for conservatives. ;)

Upvote 0