Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Give a guy a fish and you feed him for a day
Teach him HOW-TO 'fish', and you give him a livelihood :thumbsup:

Have fun

dave

I prefer "Teach a man how to fish, and he can sit on a dock, drinking beer, for the rest of his life" ;)

Upvote 0

davedajobauk

dum spiro spero
Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2006
Salford, Greater Manchester. UK
✟300,707.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I prefer "Teach a man how to fish, and he can sit on a dock, drinking beer, for the rest of his life" ;)

Oh well, those days don't last too long either
I have said farewell to my youngest brother 'Paul' [4 years my junior]
The 'drink' killed him ....[legally] He'd perhaps, have been alive today had he smoked 'pot' only
But, no, he walked 'his path', and away from his wife and two daughter's
His ears were deaf to my remonstrations, I'd already lost my BFF [aged 34] to liver and kidney failure
only 9 years earlier.... That! was a crossroads for me too... I took another path .... I live :thumbsup:

ETA...edited to add
That I now stand back from this convo
as it is highjacking the OP
Thank you for responding

dave

Upvote 0

ReesePiece23

The Peanut Buttery Member.
Sep 17, 2013
✟288,377.00
Faith
Christian
Well, it's got to be said, that the previous system was the oldest version of Vbulletin that I've ever seen - and it's quite remarkable really that the members never raised issue with it. Though, with that said, it was VERY easy to navigate - even for a technophobe like me, and the editing options to personalise your profile were not only diverse and plentiful, but also fun, and added colour to the forum and the member profiles.

I'm not a fan of the new system - though I feel that's due to how abrupt the change over was. It should have been done gradually, and there should have been plenty of notice - i.e. Emails sent out to notify everyone of the change with plenty of time in advance. No arguments there, you should have done that. And you can't blame members for getting upset, especially if they've been posting here for several years.

But it's done now. An upgrade needed to happen, but perhaps upgrading to the next system up would have been enough. Vbulletin 5 or something...

Upvote 0

Brent W

Tech Admin
Mar 6, 2015
Alabama
Visit site
✟146,433.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
vBulletin is a dying company. Do you know that the guys who made vB3 what it is are now the owners of XenForo?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XenForo

You might appreciate the process that is outlined there.

Reactions: All4Christ
Upvote 0

ebedmelech

My dog Micah in the pic
Site Supporter
Jul 3, 2012
✟187,689.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
People don't like change...something that kept Israel from trusting in Christ, when all Christ was doing was trying to show them it was them who changed.

I think the new look is nice and clean...it just takes some time to adjust to. Great job CF! :cool:

Upvote 0

George95

CF Tech Master
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Community Manager
Site Supporter
Oct 31, 2012
✟1,395,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I miss the job section and the reps being given out
this is still very confusing
I would like to add a picture to my signature but don't know how

where can I change the skin

http://www.christianforums.com/account/signature

edsq1E4.png

Click that to insert an image.

Currently this is the only theme, but another theme is in the works. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Angeldove97

I trust in You
Site Supporter
Jan 6, 2004
Indiana
✟143,520.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Just a heads up, Faith Icons are being worked on guys. :)

Maybe the first post in this thread could keep a running list of suggestions/issues that can honestly be fixed. ;)

I haven nothing to complain about, but I am looking forward to getting the cute icons back on, maybe some new smilies, and a darker color theme (the bright just hurts my eyes).

But I know you guys will get there.

As for the new rule: Good! I'm all for a definition of what a Christian is (based on the Bible and Church theology), but too many members have been shown hatred towards others for quick judgements. I'm tired of being deemed not a Christian because I'm Catholic - I'm sure many other people (of different Christian background are too). For the longest time I grew up under Jehovah's Witnesses beliefs (with a mash-up of Russian Orthodox) because of how my Mom taught me - I called myself a Christian but did not believe in the Trinity. Instead of bashing me and telling me off, a few good Christian Sisters took the time to teach me about the Trinity and it changed my beliefs. I'm thankful they took the time to teach me (instead of attacking me).

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟825,894.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I'm with Rus on BOTH concerns: the new site SUCKS, and I think we should be able to question a person's Christianity. As Rus said, what if we deal with Mormons or Unitarians or JW's and other cult-like groups who deny the Holy Trinity, baptism, and other things? It's Christian to just see Jesus as a nice guy teacher? In that case, Islam is a church. I know St. John Damascene called Islam a Christian heresy, but are they Christians because they like and accept Jesus as a prophet? At what point do we drop the Politically-correct feel-good stuff and learn to preach the truth in love and honesty?

But yeah, I can't stand this new layout! I came on here and sighed.....

I wonder why the powers-that-be at CF couldn't just fix things without the cosmetic and logistical changes on our end? If you're fixing the engine on a car, does the body shell, paint, windshields, tires, wheels, grill, etc. need to be replaced? Just my two cents.
To address your concerns; if someone wants to call themselves a Moose; if the truly believe themselves to be a moose, and we say "there is no way you are a moose, how could you be?" and the person gets upset it can accelerate into a peeing match, disrupting the thread and generating reports. As always, moderation will be based on the content of the the post; if a person claiming to be a Christian posts against the teachings of the Nicene Creed, or you forums Statement of Faith, staff will continue to take action. This has not Changed.

Reactions: Angeldove97
Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟825,894.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
yeah not a fan.

and just affirming the Divinity of Christ is not enough. I know Hindus that do that

Yes, this is enough to qualify as an unorthodox Christian here and participate in unorthodox doctrinal discussion. Mormons and JWs were allowed to post there in the past, but under the new structure, that is no longer the case, Mormon and JW are now designated non Christian religions in that they both deny the divinity of Christ.

Reactions: Angeldove97
Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟825,894.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
When the engine breaks, most people upgrade to a new car because it is more economical and makes more sense then relying on old technology that is not as efficient. Rarely does the new car look the same as the old, no matter how much they might have enjoyed the look of the old car.

I was about to quote the rules to illustrate that the Nicene creed remains the defining point of orthodoxy at CF and found that the link does not work. This needs to be fixed.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

davedajobauk

dum spiro spero
Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2006
✟300,707.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I miss the job section and the reps being given out
this is still very confusing
I would like to add a picture to my signature but don't know how

where can I change the skin

Hi Wendy
#1 Place the image you want to post in your siggie into Facebook
and post it's url in your signature setup's address bar

#2 Use the method shown by George (above) and point to the image on your phone /desktop

You can (if you are using a desktop) assign a colour / background picture, to your 'active-window'

dave

Upvote 0

davedajobauk

dum spiro spero
Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2006
✟300,707.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
vBulletin is a dying company. Do you know that the guys who made vB3 what it is are now the owners of XenForo?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XenForo

You might appreciate the process that is outlined there.

Does CF now, use Xenforo ?

just curious.... because we can also monitor what others [those we follow] are doing (via alerts)
I find that I have no-idea...who else, is online with me, until they post something
or, until I see a post by them and can also see that little GREEN corner-clip
Will we, see a Members Online list, at the head of a forum, as-before ?

dave

Upvote 0

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,295,705.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Names of members online is in the Right hand side bar on the Home page - not on each section page.

see http://www.christianforums.com

And yes indeed - XenForo is used - as you will see in the big Bright Blue box at the bottom of each page

Reactions: davedajobauk
Upvote 0