Apr 26, 2014
✟66,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Has the certificate of debt against you been canceled? If so, when did it happen?

When a man genuinely repents and receives forgiveness.

Luke 24:47
And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.

Here is the meaning of 'remission' from Strong's -
  1. release from bondage or imprisonment
  2. forgiveness or pardon, of sins (letting them go as if they had never been committed), remission of the penalty
Jesus said this 'after' the cross.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,576.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
When a man genuinely repents and receives forgiveness.

Luke 24:47
And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.

Here is the meaning of 'remission' from Strong's -
  1. release from bondage or imprisonment
  2. forgiveness or pardon, of sins (letting them go as if they had never been committed), remission of the penalty
Jesus said this 'after' the cross.
So it didn't happen at the cross?

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,576.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I just showed you that repentance and remission of sins was the commission Jesus gave AFTER THE CROSS. Why would anyone question that?
I don't see where the certificate of debt is mentioned.

Upvote 0

BrianJK

Abdul Masih
Aug 21, 2013
Seaside, CA
✟20,934.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Has the certificate of debt against you been canceled? If so, when did it happen?

I believe Colossians speaks of such a cancelation. It says this:

He forgave us all our sins, having canceled the charge of our legal indebtedness, which stood against us and condemned us; he has taken it away, nailing it to the cross.

It seems to be a corporate cancelation, effective upon the forgiveness of our sins.

That's how I read it at least.

• Agree
Reactions: chandraclaws
Upvote 0

VanillaSunflowers

Black Lives Don't Matter More Than Any Other Life
Jul 26, 2016
DE
✟18,570.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
The same time it was cancelled against you. The moment Jesus took his last breath on the altar where his blood flowed and covered all sins eternally and said, it is finished.

Reactions: chandraclaws
Upvote 0

DingDing

Feb 27, 2016
Florida
✟29,332.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

He forgave us all our sins, having canceled the charge of our legal indebtedness, which stood against us and condemned us; he has taken it away, nailing it to the cross.

It seems to be a corporate cancelation, effective upon the forgiveness of our sins.

I agree. As it says in Matthew 1:21, "He will save His people from their sins." The question now becomes, who are His people? Are these random people picked from before the foundation of the world as some think, or are they those who approach and abide by faith? Jesus did save His people, but again, who are His people?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,576.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married

What do you see as the difference between canceling the debt and forgiveness of sins?

Upvote 0

VanillaSunflowers

Jul 26, 2016
DE
✟18,570.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
I agree. As it says in Matthew 1:21, "He will save His people from their sins." The question now becomes, who are His people? Are these random people picked from before the foundation of the world as some think, or are they those who approach and abide by faith? Jesus did save His people, but again, who are His people?
I would say everyone for whom his good news resonates as truth.

Jesus sent his Apostles out into all the world to deliver the gospel. All countries, all people, all cultural identities, were to be afforded the opportunity to hear the truth of God in Christ. By order of God himself.
All people are potentially his people. Those who receive the gospel are known to God. This doesn't mean God picked who would die in their sins and who would repent and receive eternal life and salvation. God simply knew who's heart would be open. And who's would not.

• Agree
Reactions: BrianJK
Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,576.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
The same time it was cancelled against you. The moment Jesus took his last breath on the altar where his blood flowed and covered all sins eternally and said, it is finished.
So all sins are forgiven?

Upvote 0

BrianJK

Abdul Masih
Aug 21, 2013
Seaside, CA
✟20,934.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What do you see as the difference between canceling the debt and forgiveness of sins?

I see cancelation of debt as one aspect of the atonement Christ bought on calvary. I don't think one atonement theory has the monopoly.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

DingDing

Feb 27, 2016
Florida
✟29,332.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
... God simply knew who's heart would be open. And who's would not.

By this statement, I don't think you really understand what BrianJK meant by "a corporate cancellation". (If he understands it as I do.) You are still thinking in an individual sense.

Upvote 0

VanillaSunflowers

Jul 26, 2016
DE
✟18,570.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
By this statement, I don't think you really understand what BrianJK meant by "a corporate cancellation". (If he understands it as I do.) You are still thinking in an individual sense.
By your remarks you don't appear to understand what corporate cancellation means. Or you'd have supplied a definition to support your claim against my observations.

Upvote 0

BrianJK

Abdul Masih
Aug 21, 2013
Seaside, CA
✟20,934.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Those are big questions. I think I'll reserve an overall explanation of my soteriology for elsewhere and, at least on this thread, stick to the topic, begging your pardon.

Perhaps if I say I'm more or less Wesleyan in my theology, that might give you an idea though.

Upvote 0