US-Republican

sbvera13

Mar 6, 2007
✟10,490.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
In Relationship
At first I though it was unreasonable, but reading it revealed this, which I had not thought about myself:

"If the topic of the e-mail has to do with a protected class; race, disability, age, gender, then potentially it could lead to a hostile work environment type liability for the employers.

The firing (or whatever potential action is eventually taken) seems to be on secure legal footing.

Upvote 0

laconicstudent

Sep 25, 2009
✟16,224.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
At first I though it was unreasonable, but reading it revealed this, which I had not thought about myself:

The firing (or whatever potential action is eventually taken) seems to be on secure legal footing.

Yep. And also because it apparently was sent using government network resources.

I work for my city. One of the things in my contract talks about not acting in a way that would reflect poorly on the city, and there was a whole page and separate signatures required regarding computer resources.

The understanding was that if I applied for a network account (which I haven't, by the way) and used it for anything but work, I would be fired summarily. :thumbsup:

Meh. So basically, I can tell you what is going to happen. If it is confirmed he sent those emails from a government work email, he's going to be fired as a matter of course.

Upvote 0

Voegelin

Reactionary
Aug 18, 2003
Connecticut
✟26,726.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

That part is exactly what I object to. No protected classes. America has to stop that stuff.

Fire government employees for using a computer for non work related stuff. Not because someone believes they offended a "protected class". Why would it be OK to make fun of one person and not another? Why should Obama be in a "protected class"?

If he needs "protection" let him get another job.

Upvote 0

laconicstudent

Sep 25, 2009
✟16,224.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
That part is exactly what I object to. No protected classes. America has to stop that stuff.

Fire government employees for using a computer for non work related stuff. Not because someone believes they offended a "protected class". Why would it be OK to make fun of one person and not another? Why should Obama be in a "protected class"?

I really doubt this is a class issue so much as a professionalism issue. If he had sent emails attacking Oprah, and news had gotten out, the result would be exactly the same.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

sbvera13

Mar 6, 2007
✟10,490.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
In Relationship
I have to disagree. The laws are in place for a reason- to protect minorities from the belligerence of the majority. I will agree that a certain amount of temperance is called for, in that the spirit of the law should be considered when judging any particular case. However abolishing such laws would be a civil rights disaster. A brief study of history will show what we would risk reverting to if minorities had no legal protection.

Upvote 0

its_nick

Cubs fan
Nov 30, 2009
Chicago area, Illinois, USA
✟15,421.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Why should Obama be in a "protected class"?

Umm...I think you've insinuated President Obama into this story in a new way. Don't be so passionate about your displeasure that it makes you foolish. You don't wear it well.

It is the class that is granted special protection; it is not President Obama himself who is granted the special protection discussed.

In this case, it is African Americans who are granted special protection as a class. Perhaps you may have heard that at times they have been damaged as a class, as when they were not permitted to vote or use the public swimming pool?...and so special protections were granted them as a class. Certainly you've heard of such things.

If evil, racist *&^holes had not been so eager to treat a whole class of people badly, then we wouldn't be faced with the special measures required to enfranchise them as equal participants in society.

Get it?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

citizenthom

I'm not sayin'. I'm just sayin'.
Nov 10, 2009
✟12,912.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Those same laws apply to creating a hostile work environment for whites. Yet if this had been a picture of a white president doing something demeaning, it would be cast as political satire, not racism. This is a blatant abuse of the intent of the laws to send a political message.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟10,843.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Those same laws apply to creating a hostile work environment for whites. Yet if this had been a picture of a white president doing something demeaning, it would be cast as political satire, not racism. This is a blatant abuse of the intent of the laws to send a political message.
Proof by hypothetical anecdote?

Upvote 0

its_nick

Cubs fan
Nov 30, 2009
✟15,421.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

Goofy.

Reminding again that this is about the work environment in the office and not about President Obama, you must understand that there is generally no reason to take action to protect the entire class of white people, right? In general -- not always, but in general (and there have been court judgments otherwise that you will recall, I'm sure) -- minority groups and others who tend to be discriminated against at the hands of people belonging to more powerful groups are the ones who are in need of occasional special protection.

Organizations are sometimes particularly vigilant to make sure that they do not treat groups of people especially poorly. I think that's to be commended. You apparently do not. I guess I should conclude that you don't approve of trying to make sure people are treated fairly, especially when they are members of groups that tend NOT to be treated as equal partners in the community.

It's unfortunate, I agree, that we must take these kinds of steps. But you MUST know how poorly minorities are treated by lots of majority Americans. We're stuck with some clumsy solutions to that problem, I'm afraid.

The 'hate crime' business, for example, is particularly clumsy. But it's a remedy that is sometimes employed to punish people who really, really DO commit crimes against people solely due to their membership in particular groups of people. We are free to think whatever dumb thoughts we like, but we are prohibited in a special way from inflicting damage on people due to dumb thoughts we may have about entire groups of people.

It's racist morons who created this problem. And they keep it robust, too.

I, of course, don't expect that someone like yourself will be convinced. That's OK. It's always been like that. The rest of us are used to it.

Upvote 0

citizenthom

Nov 10, 2009
✟12,912.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Reminding again that this is about the work environment in the office and not about President Obama

No, it's about satire regarding the President, period. That was my entire point. Casting it as "racism" is just a backdoor tactic to suppress the political speech. And my point was, that tactic would not work with a white president, even in a work environment where whites were the protected class (and the Civil Rights Act has been applied to that situation even where whites were the majority).

Upvote 0

citizenthom

Nov 10, 2009
✟12,912.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Proof by hypothetical anecdote?

A rephrase just for you: there has never been a situation where a satire about a white president has been cast as "racism" to justify a firing that was in reality politically-motivated. Better?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

its_nick

Cubs fan
Nov 30, 2009
✟15,421.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
No, it's about satire regarding the President, period. That was my entire point. Casting it as "racism" is just a backdoor tactic to suppress the political speech. And my point was, that tactic would not work with a white president, even in a work environment where whites were the protected class (and the Civil Rights Act has been applied to that situation even where whites were the majority).

Is this repetition sort of method of argument what you are alluding to in your signature when you invoke the dog returning to its vomit verse?

It's not any truer the second time you say it. In an effort to spare us a third, I'll stop at this point.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟10,843.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A rephrase just for you: there has never been a situation where a satire about a white president has been cast as "racism" to justify a firing that was in reality politically-motivated. Better?
Yes, that is better.

Do you know of any satire about a white president that was, in fact, racist that was passed around in a government office?

Upvote 0

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟392,390.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have to disagree. The laws are in place for a reason- to protect minorities from the belligerence of the majority. I will agree that a certain amount of temperance is called for, in that the spirit of the law should be considered when judging any particular case. However abolishing such laws would be a civil rights disaster. A brief study of history will show what we would risk reverting to if minorities had no legal protection.

So it's not ok for a Majority Race to poke fun at a Minority Race
But it is ok of a Minority Race to poke fun at a Majority Race? :confused:

Wouldn't it be better to ignore the race fully and say don't poke fun at anyone on Company Equipment?

Upvote 0

sbvera13

Mar 6, 2007
✟10,490.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
In Relationship
So it's not ok for a Majority Race to poke fun at a Minority Race
But it is ok of a Minority Race to poke fun at a Majority Race? :confused:

Wouldn't it be better to ignore the race fully and say don't poke fun at anyone on Company Equipment?
An unintended quirk of my phrasing. No, it's not OK.

Upvote 0

laconicstudent

Sep 25, 2009
✟16,224.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Yet if this had been a picture of a white president doing something demeaning, it would be cast as political satire, not racism. This is a blatant abuse of the intent of the laws to send a political message.

Possibly. The employee would get sacked just the same though

Upvote 0